It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unmanned Police Drones Coming Soon to Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

In a City Council briefing Tuesday, Bowman said the aircraft are capable of carrying cameras that shoot high-quality still pictures and video and have night-vision capability. The aircraft also have heat-sensing technology the fire department can use.

Full Story

Anyone else opposed to this? How long before they arm these drones with crowd control devices? Will their use on American civilians be considered a "continued humanitarian effort"?

Seriously, I know there are some very good uses for technology such as this, but given the current abuse of power by the nations police force, can we fully trust them to use this as their intentions state?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Oh dear lord

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sure the technology is useful...at war.

Last time I checked, Texas wasn't at war...or maybe every time they defy the Fed or ATS, Texas is seen as a hostile enemy?

Seems that the louder the citizens get, the more 'Safety' measures and technology are put in place.

Damn, those cowboy terrorists.

edit on 30-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
We are always told of all the good these new technologies will do for us...without ever asking if they are even WANTED in the first place.

I wonder, do homeowners have a right to defend their airspace? Could be fun target practice...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well Texas is pretty much at war with Mexican drug cartels so I'm sure that's the excuse.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
We are always told of all the good these new technologies will do for us...without ever asking if they are even WANTED in the first place.

I wonder, do homeowners have a right to defend their airspace? Could be fun target practice...

That’s an interesting question? Obviously it wouldn't be "legal" to shoot down a police drone, as it's destruction of state property, but what if it's done in the name of defending your right to privacy or your life? If in a state that recognizes "Castle Domain" could you defend your life and property under threat?
edit on 6/30/2011 by amaster because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

Anyone else opposed to this? How long before they arm these drones with crowd control devices? Will their use on American civilians be considered a "continued humanitarian effort"?

Seriously, I know there are some very good uses for technology such as this, but given the current abuse of power by the nations police force, can we fully trust them to use this as their intentions state?

This sounds like something I saw on the Twilight Zone. Of course, being a TV show, they armed theirs.
It turned out very badly.......

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I'm pretty sure I've seen these in a movie before. I think it was one of the Terminators, or RoboCop. I'm thinking of some sort of facial recognition software, with a "hunt and kill" mode.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'd be willing to bet that a .308 ballistic tipped round would take them down.

It sounds like war is being declared on We the People by those we employ.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I think the message is pretty crystal clear.

WE ARE THE TERRORISTS. Normal, law-abiding U.S. Citizens

That's why they need to use drones on us.

Skynet anyone?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is nothing more than a Radio Controled model helicopter
These models are hard to fly it takes a lot of training to fly one of these models..and they crash frequently
Just another tool to invade your privacy
I wonder how much they Over paid for it ?
Hey you can have one too..Go buy a R/C model ..add a camera learn to fly it...and you can spy on THEM

You do not need a lisence to fly a model helicopter..BS that their operator must have same type lisence as a pilot
Get real shall we !

edit on 30-6-2011 by granpabobby because: add usefull information

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
"The Arlington Police Department is in the first part of its experiment in using unmanned aircraft to assist in law enforcement.

The department has been testing and evaluating two battery-operated, remote-controlled aircraft over a small, restricted airspace near Lake Arlington Dam, away from populated areas.

The aircraft are flown only for daylight operations and within a small, restricted airspace. The aircraft have to remain within the pilot's line of sight and fly 400 feet above the ground level."

www.nbcdfw.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Sure the technology is useful...at war.

Last time I checked, Texas wasn't at war...or maybe every time they defy the Fed or ATS, Texas is seen as a hostile enemy?

Seems that the louder the citizens get, the more 'Safety' measures and technology are put in place.

Damn, those cowboy terrorists.

I know right? I am from Texas born and raised. I was out driving last night and got cut off by some stupid kid... Seems like this drone would have done a lot of good against this clear trouble maker.

really though, I don't want these things around here. It's creepy.... What are they going to do around here? Fly around and spy on innocent people?

Actually, how about we send them to the border and when we see any illegal immigrants attempting to cross the border, we go and arrest them or something.

Meh, I'm still looking for a way to blame Rick Perry for this.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I guess it's time to mow my yard in the pattern of a big middle finger, huh? I bet that would get someone's attention.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by quedup
"The Arlington Police Department is in the first part of its experiment in using unmanned aircraft to assist in law enforcement.

The department has been testing and evaluating two battery-operated, remote-controlled aircraft over a small, restricted airspace near Lake Arlington Dam, away from populated areas.

The aircraft are flown only for daylight operations and within a small, restricted airspace. The aircraft have to remain within the pilot's line of sight and fly 400 feet above the ground level."

www.nbcdfw.com...
This testing is done away from populated areas because they will crash it repeatedly
Its a R/C Model Helicopter fer crying out loud..you do not need a lisence..they only work on line of sight ..so night operations are out..
Personaly..I think Arlengton is being Suckered into buying something basicly useless..Total waste of tax dollars

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
reply to post by snowspirit

I'm pretty sure I've seen these in a movie before. I think it was one of the Terminators, or RoboCop. I'm thinking of some sort of facial recognition software, with a "hunt and kill" mode.

You're thinking of Dark Angel (for those of you who don't remember: Jessica Alba--TV show--2000-2002)....

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
From the linked article on that NBC website

"With terrorist attacks and everything else going on, I don't think it's a bad idea," said Arlington resident Eric Vandervoort, who lives near Cowboys Stadium.

My parents have lived in that very area where they are trying these drones for 20 years. Guess how many terrorists activities have happened in Arlington in those 20 years.....

What do these poeple think is happening outside???? Get off the social websites for a second.

EDIT: I should add, there was a bit of a terrorist activity near cowboy stadium about 6 years ago. When the city used eminent domain and kicked everyone out and demolished the houses so that cowboys stadium could be built on prime land right next to I-30.

www.durangotexas.com...
edit on 1-7-2011 by westrock2000 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join