It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nabro another Krakatoa? Nabro stops erupting.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i flagged this thread for...i guess future reference.
but i have a couple questions, how long was the time between krakatoa sealing itself, and finally blowing it's top?

and with Nabru(?) taking the similar position of "suddenly" reducing its output, is there a way to measure it's pressure build up, like elevation changes through GPS, or something to that effect?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
It would have been nice to have this thread as part of the VOLCANO THREAD; keeping all related issues easy to find on later stage for references.

Contrary to what many people believe, NABRO is actually a VERY large volcano that spans about 70 km E-W and 75 Km N-S. It consist of three large vents, different local names but on Google Earth these are Asavyo (Oldest), Aruku, and Nabro and most likely also includes Dubbi as the youngest vent. Additionally there are 7 smaller vents and about 104 small vents in this volcano field.

@Foxe; Nabro is still ongoing to this day. It has not stopped eruption since first explosion. Now there is less ash cloud; but still lots of steam and magma. I already had a series of agreements on VOLCANO WATCH that the Arabian plate is diving under the Nubian plate - thus it is in fact forming a subduction zone.

@Kro32; you are only 50% correct. Nabro is in fact closer to Felsic (Rhyolitic) magma than Mafic Basalt. If you observe the 'pulses; during this current eruption the periodic closures and explosions are evident.

I posted this elsewhere, so copy here for sake of info:
"What happens when the pressure is released is that this rhyolitic lava forms a layer of glass like hard rock which acts like a shield barrier. Now pressure is building up below and can't escape to the surface. Until one day when the pressure is enough to crack the 'glass'. A short series of earthquakes are the indication of such 'cracking glass'. Eruption temperature is somewhat lower at about 900 C; likely also due to the pressure drop. Consider in this Nabro region the crust is around 23 to 25 km thick it does not take very long to reach the surface. At last the final top is blown off and the volcano can 'deflate' somewhat. When pressure is low again, the glass top (in this case Felsic) seals again and the whole cycle starts building again. "

FUTURE OF NABRO
Magma chambers takes time to fill and once filled, then it starts building up pressure, this vary from volcano to volcano. That is where we get a sort of time frame to determine periodic eruptions. In the case of Nabro everything is completely unknown. This current eruption releases the pressure in the magma chambers thus it is quite unlikely to have another massive explosive eruption soon. On the other hand this whole region is so active (and young) NO PREDICITONS ARE POSSIBLE AT ALL.

On top of it all; this region is very little studied. Not major population, no major importance . . . until maybe somebody realises Nabro and his siblings could close the Red Sea passing for ships!

The pressure potential under any of the volcanoes in Eritrea, NE Ethiopia, Djibouti (Afar Region) and Western Yemen are not possible to build up to the same explosive powers you have from Krakatau. However there are other factors that could and would probably be more disruptive. These volcanoes produce more Sulphur Dioxide, CO2 and the dust particles are smaller glass like which are serious issues for health, global temperature and air traffic.

edit on 2/7/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Was out of town.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and information on Nabro. I appreciate it. Its rather...disturbing to have NO one else to turn to when you think X Y or Z may or may not be the case.

Thanks all for all your hard work...and especially for not turning this into a doomsday thread.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join