It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Complete Translation of John Gnostic Text, Coming soon!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Complete Translation of John Gnostic Text, Coming soon!

exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com...

McGrath’s main collaborator will be Charles Häberl of Rutgers University, an expert in ancient and modern Semitic languages, whose first book is on a modern spoken dialect of Mandaic. April DeConick of Rice University, well known for her work on Gnostic text

“The Mandaeans’ sacred texts are in a dialect of Aramaic,” McGrath said. “Some of them mention John the Baptist and Jesus. John the Baptist gets a positive mention; Jesus, not so much. Two of their most important sacred texts have never been translated into English in their entirety. One, the Ginza Rba, or Great Treasure, several people are working on that. But the second most important text is the Book of John. To my knowledge, no one was working on a translation of the whole thing into English. It caught my interest and I said, ‘Let me see if I can get some funding to remedy this.’”

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 30-6-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This, obviously not so new news, but pretty important to me. In any case this book is probably one of the very rarest gnostic book out there. The only translated book was made by G.R.S Mead in a book entitled, Gnostic John the Baptizer: selections from the mandaean John-book" The new translation will be avalible for download of the complete text. Interesting enough, this book has been ignored for awhile. The reason? The only thing I can contribute would be laziness.

In the mean time, check out the G.R.S. book here from sacred text www.sacred-texts.com...

exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

some information on the Mandaean: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I mean no disrespect. I also fin this to be quite significant. But our practice at ATS is to avoid Blogs as news sources, and even if this were not so, the date of the release disqualifies it as a Breaking News Item.

I am gong to transfer this thread to what I believe is a more relevant repository, where you may find the participation more meaningful..

Thank you for your patience and feel free to contact me if you feel there's a better place for it.

MM

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Thank you for your help, honestly a better fit would not offend me on this subject

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm always up for anything new in the way of a gnostic text.

sandf!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Any time. I just wish more were interested

new topics

top topics

join