It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Event in Scotland - Massive Jellyfish Invasion...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Ermm..

Saw a nuclear event in Scotland on the RSOE Disaster Map.. naturally got a bit worried with all the Nuclear accidents recently. Cause of event?

Cause of event: Massive Jellyfish invasion

Check it out yourself here.
I'm just trying to work out how a massive Jellyfish invasion could effect a Nuclear power plant.. and what does a 'Massive Jellyfish Invasion' entail exactly?..

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

weird. I recall seeing a special on probably discovery a long time ago talking about these types of jelly fish, i think it was japan, or china, was having issues with, massive jellyfish is massive swarms literally taking up the entire bay.

All i could assume would be a water related issue, maybe the jellies are putting the cooling system intake at risk?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Masses of jellyfish entering the Torness nuclear power plant's cooling water inflow area led EDF Energy to shut both units there manually on Tuesday, the company said. "This is temporary and the reactors will be restarted once the jellyfish situation subsides," a spokeswoman for EDF Energy said. The two 640-megawatt (MW) units in Scotland went off line on Tuesday afternoon, National Grid data showed. The presence of jellyfish, seaweed and other marine life is not uncommon at nuclear power plants, EDF Energy said. Two weeks ago, an Atlantic Grey Seal was rescued from EDF Energy's Hinkley Point nuclear power station in Somerset after it got trapped in the inflow area chasing fish. The plant's operations were not affected.

...so i guess its uncommon... apparantly. Oh its from the same website by the way

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tangled2011
Masses of jellyfish entering the Torness nuclear power plant's cooling water inflow area led EDF Energy to shut both units there manually on Tuesday, the company said. "This is temporary and the reactors will be restarted once the jellyfish situation subsides," a spokeswoman for EDF Energy said. The two 640-megawatt (MW) units in Scotland went off line on Tuesday afternoon, National Grid data showed. The presence of jellyfish, seaweed and other marine life is not uncommon at nuclear power plants, EDF Energy said. Two weeks ago, an Atlantic Grey Seal was rescued from EDF Energy's Hinkley Point nuclear power station in Somerset after it got trapped in the inflow area chasing fish. The plant's operations were not affected.

...so i guess its uncommon... apparantly. Oh its from the same website by the way

Thanks. Makes a lot more sense now.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

No problem

After you click details, go to event description and it gives you a more in-depth detail of the incident. I'm intrigued by the "parachute/hand-glider" falling from the sky in england...yeah right

Anyway, thank you, I haven't seen this site before but its quite informive. (is that a word) lol

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is starting to remind me of the eco disaster novel "the swarm."
Which is about nature fighting back against us,the vile destroyer species.

www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309460198&sr=8-1

Also this event got me thinking-I bet the military are interested in events such as this to study if they could be replicated.
Imagine-Maybe a big ol oil tanker does not have oil in the hold,but trillions of baby jellyfish,which are dropped off the shore of whatever nuke plant needs shutting down when the tide is just right....

I think the military would like such a thing as another tool in their shed.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
This has happened before.

Fission Stories #27: Jellyfish Put Nuclear Plant in a Jam

a flotilla of jellyfish attacked the Turkey Point nuclear plant in Florida on September 3, 1984. They stormed the plant in such numbers and with such ferocity that they clogged the flow of cooling water to the plant’s main condensers. A metal screen designed to keep debris from being pumped into the plant was bent inward nearly two feet during the assault. Both of the nuclear reactors at Turkey Point had to be shut down. The clogged screens prevented the waste heat produced by the reactors from being dissipated to the environment. The reactors remained shut down for 11 days until Hurricane Diana swept the jellyfish back out to sea.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Apparently, not so uncommon. But what are the odds of this happening TWICE in the same day at 2 different plants thousands of miles away from each other???

A Japanese nuclear reactor that slowed down when jellyfish partly blocked a seawater intake resumed normal operations on Friday, operator Chugoku Electric Power Co said. Output from the 820 megawatt reactor fell to 770 MW on Thursday after the jellyfish partly covered the entrance of a seawater supply pipe, the Hiroshima-based utility said. A fall in the number of jellyfish enabled the No.2 reactor at its sole Shimane plant return to operating at full capacity on Friday, it said.

Same Source
Perhaps the PTB are aliens and have morphed into jellyfish to destroy the world!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

As far as the "odds" it kinda makes sense that now it is Summer in the Northern Hemisphere and I guess the jelly fish are just gettin freaky and maybe, they prefer the warmer waters around the Nuke plants since they are taking water in to cool the reactors, the exhaust water must be carrying a good amount of heat!
edit on 1-7-2011 by CosmosKid because: spelling

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I holiday there and have just returned,after talking to one of the skippers of the boats contracted to fish these jellyfish from the surrounding area,he told me that himself and the other boats had netted close to 500 tonnes of jellyfish quite an amazing bloom,although it did interfere with my fishing every cast was a bloody jellyfish,lol

new topics

join