It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York State to Lift Moratorium on Hydraulic Fracturing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

NEW YORK, June 30 (Reuters) - The state of New York will lift its moratorium on the controversial natural gas extraction technique known as hydraulic fracturing, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

However a spokesman for Governor Andrew Cuomo called the New York Times report "premature and baseless speculation." (Reporting by Edith Honan and Joan Gralla; Editing by Daniel Trotta and Alden Bentley)

Source: af.reuters.com...

Why print it in the first place? Fear?

Why would the New York Times print such a statement when the Governors office denies it who is lying and why?
edit on 30-6-2011 by IPILYA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
My guess is that this is about the shale in PA. There is a lot going on right now regarding that shale. "and to frack or not to frack: that is the question".
NY got involved recently and was claiming that they have some right to control whether there is fracking in PA because of the water shed. So, to clear the way in PA, NY has to be swept up too. I have very mixed feelings about the whole thing (as a PA resident) and would likely go pro frack (our country needs the gas) with very tight controls and disclosure. That said, much of the land in question is well water. I have been looking to move and I am uninterested in well water properties anywhere near the frack zone. So, I either paranoid or a hypocrite. But, I have a kid. Even if they mostly convince me it is safe I am not taking the chance.
I also think that the fracking will go on. There are a ton of radio and tv ads about how long fracking has been used (they of course always say hydraulic fracturing) and how safe it is, etc. Lobby, lobby, lobby!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Anyone on the fence about fracking should watch the documentary "Gasland".

Hydraulic fracturing is not worth the cost to the environment IMO.
edit on 6/30/2011 by yadboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by yadboy

I couldn't agree more. Stop the madness.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If New York allows this to go ahead it is cutting it own throat with its water supply and will need to move to desalination for its needs. Reverse osmosis cannot be used either as some of the chemical used in the fracking process breaks down the membranes that are used. With the energy that is gained from the processes being spent to overcome its problems is does seam a bit silly. China is making a lot of progress on the solar side of things. Cold fusion is also up and running, there are other options around for energy needs.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If the governer's office say it is nonsense then they must know they are lying.

This technique does and has caused earthquakes, and apart from those deliberately induced.

The NYT is right to make people aware of what can happen, and the people have a right to know, I don't call that scaremongering at all.

blogs.forbes.com...

It's not just 'quakes it could mean pollution as well,

oilprice.com...
edit on 30-6-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

join