It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black hole inside earth, physics question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hello, I read this article:

______beforeitsnews/story/693/052/Scientist:_Black_Hole_Has_Breached_Earths_Core.html

Since I learned about LHC and the mayan prophecies, I have theorized that smashing atoms together at light speed might not be a good thing.

But a black hole inside earth, is that even possible? I thought that anything within reach of a black hole, would disappear almost instantly.

Thanks in advance

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
well considering that im here typing this message, I would say that it is not possible. IMO ofc.

2nd line

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I found this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Apparently it is somewhat possible :O

"If you were falling into a smaller black hole, say one that weighed as much as the Sun, tidal forces would start to make you quite uncomfortable when you were about 6000 kilometers away from the center"

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by modeselektor

I didn't get to post this the last time this was mentioned, but here is the actual physics involved with the scenario of a micro black hole from the LHC at the center of the Earth...

First of all, the black holes created at the LHC are on the order of 10^-24 kg, which evaporate long before they even think of leaving their containment in the lab, let alone reaching the center of the Earth.

However, let's say the LHC were to magically create a black hole capable of reaching the center of the Earth, with a mass 1% that of the moon (about 10^20 kg). The Schwarzschild radius of such a black hole would be 1.46*10^-7 m.
The equation for the accretion of mass by this black hole (Bondi accretion - look it up) gives an accretion rate, A, of

A = (4*pi*R^2)pu

where p is the density of the Earth, u is the speed of sound (in this case, in the interior of the Earth), and R is the Schwarzschild radius.
This gives an accretion rate of about 1.7*10^-6 kg/s. To consume the mass of the Earth (about 6*10^24 kg), it would then take about 10^23 years.

That's 100 billion trillion years.

This fails to account for the change in radius of the black hole (which makes the accretion equation a differential), leading to a shorter time. However, that is balanced by something called the Eddington limit, which results from heat loss limiting the accretion rate (much like air resistance limits how fast someone can fall).

Regardless, for even this black hole (which is impossible for us to create, since it involved 1/100 the mass of the moon), the time it would take to consume the Earth is much longer than the current age of the universe.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Thank you

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by modeselektor

I didn't get to post this the last time this was mentioned, but here is the actual physics involved with the scenario of a micro black hole from the LHC at the center of the Earth...

First of all, the black holes created at the LHC are on the order of 10^-24 kg, which evaporate long before they even think of leaving their containment in the lab, let alone reaching the center of the Earth.

However, let's say the LHC were to magically create a black hole capable of reaching the center of the Earth, with a mass 1% that of the moon (about 10^20 kg). The Schwarzschild radius of such a black hole would be 1.46*10^-7 m.
The equation for the accretion of mass by this black hole (Bondi accretion - look it up) gives an accretion rate, A, of

A = (4*pi*R^2)pu

where p is the density of the Earth, u is the speed of sound (in this case, in the interior of the Earth), and R is the Schwarzschild radius.
This gives an accretion rate of about 1.7*10^-6 kg/s. To consume the mass of the Earth (about 6*10^24 kg), it would then take about 10^23 years.

That's 100 billion trillion years.

This fails to account for the change in radius of the black hole (which makes the accretion equation a differential), leading to a shorter time. However, that is balanced by something called the Eddington limit, which results from heat loss limiting the accretion rate (much like air resistance limits how fast someone can fall).

Regardless, for even this black hole (which is impossible for us to create, since it involved 1/100 the mass of the moon), the time it would take to consume the Earth is much longer than the current age of the universe.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thanks for providing some intellect!

Now can we please stop with all the LHC will destroy the earth threads?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Very interesting, If a black hole was in the Earth then it's possible that everything is gone in an instant.

However, theories are theories, and it's very interesting. A black hole that holds it's mass in one place, anything is possible. So it's possible that the Earth is the result of either a white hole or a black hole. How it stabilized, I don't know. There are theories that the Earth core is a bit round sphere of molten metal and magma.

So what's it going to be, metal or a gravity well?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FreedomCommander

Theories are not guesses as you suggest. Scientific theories are based on facts. There is good reason to believe that the core of the Earth is mainly iron.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by FreedomCommander

Theories are not guesses as you suggest. Scientific theories are based on facts. There is good reason to believe that the core of the Earth is mainly iron.

Thank you VERY MUCH
This "I Have a Theory" stuff makes me really fastidious (¿?)

new topics

top topics

join