It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you suggest to go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
First let me say I am not sure if this is the correct forum or not - it seemed the most logical to me.

Now then - a little background first - I am 66 and hubby 67. We are pretty much living on Social Security at this point.

My husband is self-employed and when the Bailouts happened his business STOPPED. He has been struggling to keep it going in the hope that Things-Will-Get-Better.

We have worked all of our lives to build a retirement base. It is all gone. We are down to one car and the house is in forclosure.

I JUST HATE spilling my guts like this but I would really like to ask for some advice and thought it best to give a little background first.

I have been researching places to move. Somewhere that the medical care is good. Some place where we can actually LIVE on our Social Security.

I zero'ed in on Cuenca, Ecuador for a time and have looked into Brazil as well (We lived in Brazil from 1978-1980 and do remember some Portuguese). I have done a few searches on places in EU but gave that up lately because "they" are in as much trouble as the USA is at this time.

So - Wise Readers - This country/government is scaring me to death! We NEED to be able to not worry where our next meal is comming from or how we will pay for needed medication (yes we have MediCare - until TPTB take it away). We are willing to grow bananas or run a resturant or ANYTHING we can to suppliment the Social Security (again until that is also taken away by our government).

Sorry is this is coming accross as bitter - but I find myself at wits end and loosing sleep over "where to go and what to do".

I LURK a lot here on ATS and find that a lot of subscribers are Wise and forthwith on advice and research and information.

Thank you for ANY ideas or thought on this (rather pathetic) message......

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mappam

Come to the UK, that's what everyone else seems to be doing so it can't be that bad ...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mappam

I'm sorry to hear life has gotten so difficult for you, and do not be ashamed, as there are many who are in your shoes.

I don't have any great suggestions..but you might want to consider whether you want to be close to family if shtf ?

I don't think going to another country will help ease anxiety if you have family in the US.

There must be some quaint small towns with a decent doctor, that have affordable rent.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Somewhere along the lines of South Carolina might be doable. It really relies on a number of factors but when I was looking into moving it was a bit cheaper there than most other places on the east coast I saw. As for other countries I can't really say, they all have their good and bad qualities.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
IMO...if all else fails get a teaching degree or tefl and send away to thailand...probly wouldnt work but whatever...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I'm 100 miles from the Canadian border and know folks who have went up there to retire . Their new immigration laws make it very difficult to get in if you are not financially self sufficient , but you are , your Social Security . Free health care and much cheaper prescription drugs . If you apply as a landed immigrant and are accepted , you don't give up US citizenship but are entitled to work as soon as you get the card . That takes about 6 months , the initial application and two interviews with Customs and Immigration . An alternate method is to purchase property . I know several who have purchased summer homes/cottages in northern Ontario and as a tourist with a summer home you must leave Canada every 180 days for 6 days and then return , if you don't apply for and get your tourist visa extended . Compared to the USA property in small towns and rural areas is fairly cheap . Last fall i purchased 320 acres of undeveloped land for $12,000.00 . The yearly property tax is $185.00 . The same property with a small house on it would be about 35 grand and the land taxes would double . Some areas are very expensive like southern Ontario , some parts of Saskatchewan and Manitoba and all of Alberta and British Columbia . My brother lives and works in Canada so it can be done . I bought my land through this company and had title in 3 weeks . Hope that helps .
www.dignam.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions.

I have thought about asking this or similar for ages but never had the courage.

Something lately has me more jittery than ever. I find myself reading "End of the World" or Survival type books and searching for answers to "what the heck is going on...?"

I took a deep breath and started this thread out of - well I guess - fear and desparation?

We have lived in South Carolina and Loved it. Actually we have moved 27 times since we have been married (45 years this Nov). As stated above - even as far away as Brazil.

It is VERY hard for me to admit that we are in such a mess! We are proud people that tried to Follow the Rules of Life. Save for a rainy day. Pay your taxes. Help your neighbor.....All of this to get to the point where you put a bucket under the leak in the roof and start the washing machine with a stick.

I have tried to search the US - from Maine to Utah. I have researched real estate prices from Cities to small villages.

There really is NO family left. We are old enough that most of our (small to start with) family is gone. We have Dear Dear Friends but do NOT want to impose on them.

I just want to know "What the H went wrong with this wonderful country"??? How could WE let it get to this point?

Thanks again - I will try to stop wine-ing (yes that glass of Reisling is looking pretty good).

PS - I do not re-read for spelling errors as I would probably delete it all if I did - sorry in advance for fingers and brain not working together.....

Bandido - THANKS - we were typing at the same time. Canada - hmmm I will def look into that!!
edit on 30-6-2011 by mappam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
OP , if you do consider Canada then i'd suggest you look closely at small towns in northern and northwestern Ontario . Real estate is cheap as is rent and there is work available to supplement the social security . Mostly seasonal , most at high end tourist lodges . They hire everything from cooks to chambermaids to guys to take care of the boats and motors to general handymen who can fix things . You can use the net and get a list of lodges and outfitters . Just trying to help . I spend a lot of time up there hunting and fishing and now i purchased a bit of hunting property . Folks up there are friendly and none of those small towns has their own police force because there is so little crime . Don't take a hand gun but it's easy to take rifles and shotguns . You can't take furniture , obtain healthcare nor get a job before you get the landed immigrant card . Those folks up there are really nice . Some towns in northern Ontario are all or mostly French but none of that in northwestern Ontario .

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I've heard something about Massachusetts having a great healthcare system. Also, a lot of Jehovahs Witnesses around here seem to be going to Mexico...can't remember the names of the towns but they are in the mountains. They say their social security dollar goes further and the cost of living is very cheap. Also, they come back to the U.S. for their healthcare. There are some tax implications, but they seem to be very happy with their lot overall.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Canada is sounding better and better. I looked at the link and am very impressed. Thanks Bandido

Mexico - we have had friends that took the route. With all the problems in Mexico now - drugs and crime - I have pretty much taken it off the list.

Equador is much better as far as health care (Cuenca has a Brand New State Of The Art hospital) and the crime rate is MUCH lower.

We lived in Mass - or Tax-a-chussits. It is a very big state with pricing better the farther you get from Boston. But the tax rate is Very High.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
ummm...I really don't want canada over run by americans trying to escape the american nightmare....

sorry...but are there any other canadians feeling this way?

the odd few is ok..but we already have had our fair share of imports this last few years..

Enough already !!!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I don't blame you Gabby - Most folks don't want americans any more than they want Muslims at this point.

It is a very very SAD state of affairs when being an American is something to NOT be proud of.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Whether you are Canadian, American, or Mexican, when the shtf we are nothing more than people and we all live on the same Continent!

Seriously, this is a frightening thing but do you have a date of "expectancy" with the foreclosure? I have to tell you if it is past this October/November no one will be moving anywhere! By then there will be no bank to shut you out of your own home! At least that is my feeling.

I would still call all your friends to a big "soiree" and unload yourself on them, open up and tell them what you are facing and I bet you will be surprised at how many of them will open their hearts and their doors! You might even open-up to a local church and see if there isn't someone of more means that is feeling a wee bit guilty and needs to earn "feathers" for heaven! Seems to me there are plenty of them these days!

Good luck and let us know, I would not rely on the SSI, that is a field dream as long as the system is so over-inflated.

Don't be afraid! Let the Universe know by letting others around you know, a door will open! I promise!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Whether you are Canadian, American, or Mexican, when the shtf we are nothing more than people and we all live on the same Continent!

hmmm......ok...so you won't be opposed to millions of people heading in your direction if SHTF ? Good to know, I'll point them in your direction.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Don't go anywhere... stay in your house until they kick you out (it could take years).

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the kind words and vibes!

So far there is no date on the foreclosure - we are meeting with the lawyer tomorrow to see if he has heard anything. Hubby declared BK a year ago. We will be staying in the house for the time being - just watching and waiting. But I want to start doing research now so I can have plans in place when TSHTF.

Yes - Friends are Amazing - I did talk to a good friend and she GAVE me $100.00 to hide just in case. Don't tell hubby LOL. It is a wonderful feeling to know I have gas money or emergency back-up. But most of all it made me cry because of the kindness.

Thanks again - This site restores my faith in human nature - well most of the time!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

hmmm......ok...so you won't be opposed to millions of people heading in your direction if SHTF ? Good to know, I'll point them in your direction.

LOL, bring them on! I live on the border of Mexico! LOL
It's not like we couldn't use the workers in the fields!

You really sound terrible as if Canada is Yours! Please, even if your an Inuit or Ojibwa you should know better!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The important websites OP .

www.cic.gc.ca...

www.cic.gc.ca...

A book on how Americans do it , at Amazon.com with a 5 star rating .

www.amazon.com...

I'm finding numbers all over the place but basically 10,000 to 25,000 Americans per year have been moving to Canada since the mid-1970's . Highly educated Canadians move to the USA at just about the same rate since the year 2000 .

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mappam

It is a very very SAD state of affairs when being an American is something to NOT be proud of.

It has nothing to do with being american..I do not have a problem with the americans...some..yes..but as a whole..no.

I guess it just is self preservation I speak from, we have had so many foreigners come in ,and they take jobs, buy up land that we want..(smiles) I know I'm being selfish, and I'll try to smarten up...just being honest.

Its most likely how americans feel ,when the canadians come in droves and buy up property cheap, ..it just doesn't seem fair.

Do not ever feel bad for being an american. You are not the choices your leaders have made..neither is the average canadian. We love our neighbors , and want to see things turn around for you. we have been duped by the powers that be...lets get through it together.

If any american wants to escape to canada, I take back what I said. Just don't litter when you get here

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

You really sound terrible as if Canada is Yours! Please, even if your an Inuit or Ojibwa you should know better!

I explained why I felt how I did in a preceding post. I never implied Canada was mine...never the less.. I was born and raised here, so I tend to get a little..umm...possessive? What can I say..knee jerk reaction to hearing about so many americans migrating here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join