It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

police "mistook" handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered,

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I though we had a court system that was supposed to decide appropriate punishment not the peace officers.

In the US it seams like you get double punishment; First by the cops and than by the legal system/court.

All this physical actions/abuse these peace officers think they need to hand out to apprehend a suspect, is nothing but personal anger and frustration.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheButcher23

See the thing here in America is that the majority of Americans believe that:

The government will never do wrong or harm its people.

The military will never do wrong or harm its people either.

The police will never do wrong or harm its people too.

Its not that Americans are scared of them. Its that they're too ignorant and stupid to think for themselves, so they have to rely completely on the authority to tell them whats wrong and whats right.

Ask any American on the street the following:

Do you know what is police brutality?

Have you heard about any cases of police brutality in America?

Chances are they're going to answer no to both questions.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MustangDesigns

disrespect is not a crime.

and if you can prove an officer was carrying out wrongful arrest surely you can resist right?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheButcher23 Its a shame, as Americans actually have access to firearms.

Yes, and we are the only country with leaders psychotic enough to use a nuke. I don't doubt for a moment if we rose up they would drop a tactical nuke on say...Los Angeles.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by labyrinth101
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Gotta agree with your observations, here. Look at how people address police officers in American TV shows, it's all 'yes sir, no sir' and yet here in the UK it's the police who call the public sir or madam. I think we have it the right way round.

Indeed you do have it the right way around. A police force is there to serve the community- not run roughshod over it.

I still say sir and ma'am. Messes with people's heads when a 6'6 260 pound biker wearing a cut and a 3 piece patch holds open a door and says "You're welcome sir" when thanked

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by Frogs

Actually there should be no need to discern between the two. Getting me pissed off is not cause for arrest or interference in someone's life. That point only comes when the subject is acting in a way contrary to the community's well being.

Agreed - that's the way it should be.

As I said in another thread, in a previous job I used to work with officers. A sgt there once said that, "CoC isn't a crime - but some officers will do almost anything to make it one."

That's kind of what I'm saying with this, and some of the other situations. Many of them seem to stem from an officer basically loosing his or her cool over what they feel is CoC.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

Originally posted by gabby2011
I understand what you are saying...and it isn't fair to paint all of them with the same brush...which I don't think everyone is doing. Maybe if more police officers admonished some of their coworkers for very unprofessional conduct, they would be more inclined to listen to their peers? After all its you guys who will have to bear the brunt of all the animosity and hatred towards leo's.

In my career I ensured that 19 people who were unsuited for the job didn't get the chance to abuse anyone. I did my part

I also vote- in every election that comes up in my town and state. I support candidates who have similar views to mine and assist in campaigns.

Stating that people should contaminate an officer's food or kill them on sight is a bit much IMO and is the hypocrisy I refer to.

Originally posted by apacheman
The difference is that most blacks, gays, women, men, etc. don't have the power to kill, injure, or imprison us with impunity, and most don't.

With exception to the last word, imprison, yes they do and no they don't. How do you find that black folk, gay, women and men are somehow under some metaphysical geis that keeps them from killing or injuring you and that only police officers do?

That was sarcasm but saying MOST cops do these things is over the top. NYPD has 35,000 or so officers. maybe 100 per year are arrested and convicted for misdeeds. Even if we increase that by a factor of 100 and assume that 10,000 officers per year are committing misdeeds that is still far from "most"

The job by it's nature and power it confers must be judged more strictly than others, and must be held to a much higher standard than most.

No argument there and something I drilled into my rookies heads. If Joe Sixpack kills someone then it's "Murder on 4th Street". If a cop kills someone (unlawfully) then it is "Cop Commits Murder".

Some leos lie. Some leos steal. Some leos kill.

As does every single other segment of society. Doctors, lawyers, community activists...

Our problem is that all leos look the same to us...we can't distinguish a good one from a bad one by sight alone; I sincerely wish we could.

And all civilians look alike to cops and we can't distinguish a good one from a bad one by sight alone and I wish we could too.

So when we see one that violates our sense of right and wrong, and other leos leap first to his or her defense and tries to find justifications (some fairly extreme) for the behavior, it looks to us like none respect us.

Even if 95% of cops were respectful, polite, and never, ever violated citizen's rights or intentionally harmed people they didn't like, we would be pretty stupid if we acted as if they were 100% clean. More to the point, it simply isn't safe to trust a cop not to cause you harm, or that their behavior is going to be rationally predictable. For the average citizen, cops are far more dangerous than criminals are. The chances you will be accosted by a criminal to your detriment are far lower than your chance of a negative interaction with a cop.

Dude- saying more people are killed, raped, robbed etc. by police officers than by criminals is beneath you. I know you're WAY smarter than to state that. I understand this is an emotional topic but that is just... wow...

Now I will say that 100% of no organization is perfect. AFAIK the last man who came close to being perfect was nailed to a tree around 2000 years or so ago. To try and achieve perfection is what we should strive for as a species but it will never be attained. Nature isn't perfect and as such none of her creations can be. What we should do is minimize the risk of imperfect behavior through training, oversight and most importantly societal norms.

The difference is that civilians are people just like cops. When you choose a profession that gives you the power to do anything you want, to anyone, then thats a big difference. Sure you say some cops get arrested for crimes every year, but what about the % that goes unreported or gets whitewashed? I am sure that number is far greater. Police are only usefull to a small degree, they only get there AFTER something has happened, and by that time it is usually to late. Personally i think that they are there to make money for the courts off of peoples missery and misfortune. I have never needed a cop and i won't ever need one, i can take care of myself. And if something does happen to me then i'll handle the JUSTICE part. Personally i think most people are decent, and if everyone was armed then no police needed, and the criminals...well they would get weeded out over a short period of time. The reason crime is out of controll is due to the fact that people think police can protect them, they allowed someone else to be in charge of their safety and security, and that is a very small percentage compared to the amount of criminals out there who ARE armed. At least it would eliminate people who desire to be in control over their fellow man. Also i believe that if things were the way they were before the government wanted to take all the guns from people, we wouldnt have near the problems we have today.Now not only do we have to fear the criminals,we have to fear the government, and the protectors of the status quoe (police) as well. Sorry NO love for government law enforcers here, too much room for corruption. If you are such an honorable entity go arrest the thousands of corrupt politicians or corrupt corporation heads that are erroding our society as we speak. And don't give the old no evidence ploy, or we need orders to do so garbage. It would'nt take much digging i am sure to find any evidence. The fish stinks from the head down.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Americans, ask yourselves this, when you are driving/walking by a cop or patrol car (having done no wrong just going about your daily legal business) what do you feel? Protected, potentially assisted, angry, repulsed, paranoid, nervous, scared or even guilty? Also, please be sure to start from the premise that you have done no wrong and have no warrants. The answer to this question reflects the feeling of the populace towards the police here. What has the police done for you in your lifetime if you compare the good and bad, the hassle vs assistance dispensed by this men and women we as taxpayers pay to "defend and protect" the average citizen?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
Yawn,and i mean no disrespect for it.
But seriously,who hasnt become numb by all these stories?

I read the title,and it wasnt a shock,just on par for the times.
I can only believe its going to get worse,and the idea the "masses" will rise up,isnt going to happen.
Pray for a comet,asteroid or whatever natural disaster,cause this planet needs a reset.

I think Caligula said it best, "let them hate us so long as they fear us ..."

And I do agree this planet needs a reset.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I know what I would do .... Some a**hole would be talking to Jesus or the devil ... hopefully the devil ..
It's over with for this sick evil world and the sick basters who think their in charge.. they will burn ..

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DN38416

If there was a "Post of the Week" award I think you just got it

Not gonna happen here though unfortunately. I live in the People's Republik of NY where big daddy government is worshiped as if they were the gods themselves.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

You have to understand the Dublin Police. I have met many off them, and every single one of them are arseholes of the highest degree.

Never mind, it was Dayton not Dublin.
edit on 6/30/2011 by dalan. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Gakus

Actually you do have the right to resist an unlawful arrest, up to and including killing the officer.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

This is true. So wouldn't the parents in this case have the right to resist the cops for their retarded son, up to and including killing them?

The big thing I see here is, how could the parents just watch this happen and not do anything? All you people always go on and on about how important your kids are to you. In fact to most people the kids are the only meaning in their empty lives. Yet they will just stand by and watch something like this? In pretty much every other country cops would get killed on the spot for stuff like this. Yet, in the US, where the rest of the world has the impression that pretty much everybody is packing heat, the parents just stand there going, "Stop! Stop!"

This is why all your talk about revolution will amount to a hill of beans, no matter how bad it gets.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo

disrespect is not a crime.

and if you can prove an officer was carrying out wrongful arrest surely you can resist right?

As wrong as this was, if true, resisting is about a stupid of a move as person can make. Most who do are criminals in the first place. Why do you think they assume those who resist are criminals? Because most who do are.

Believe it or not, most of us go through our entire lives without ever having a problem with an Officer. Why do you suppose that is? Perhaps because we cooperate and speak politely. They don't arrest us, harass us or treat us badly.

As with all these articles, the Mother is suing for large sums of money. The article only gives the Mothers story and no other. She stands to get rich from this. If it is true and she is telling the truth, those Officers are unemployed and the City is out lots of money, or should I say the taxpayers.

Best to wait and find out the truth. People who are suing often lie, which is just as wrong as a bad Cop. Sad, but true.

In my lifetime, I've never met a person who was anti-Cop, getting arrested often and who has a bad relationship with the Cops, who was not a criminal who brought it on themselves. That's why we know those who are constantly ranting about Cops are very likely committing crimes or using illegal drugs. It is almost always the case. Nobody is being fooled.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MustangDesigns

DAYTON, Ohio (CN) - Dayton police "mistook" a mentally handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered, pepper-sprayed and beat him and called for backup from "upward of 20 police officers" after the boy rode his bicycle home to ask his mother for help, the boy's mom says.

Courthouse News Service

Seriously? Really? How do you even do this? What kind of human being do you have to be to even attempt to try something like this. Unforgivable. Let me tell you something, even IF this kid wasn't handicapped, and even IF he was being "disrespectful" to the Officer by mocking him, I don't believe that gives the Officer authority to chase him down, pepper-spray and Taser him. The police force are given entirely too much control and power. If I was that Officer I'd be so ashamed of myself. Grrrr.... I don't want to turn this in to a rant!

The Police aren't given this power. They're just taking it. They overstep the limit of their authority.
Every time I read something like this, it always begs to me the question; What can I do to help? or What can WE do to prevent the Police from abusing their power.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
This is true. So wouldn't the parents in this case have the right to resist the cops for their retarded son, up to and including killing them?

Your suggesting killing Cops and your criticizing others who know that most people never have a problem with Cops and those who do are almost always lying and are in fact criminals?

Honest people also know that were lawsuits involving large sums often involve people who are lying to get more money. I'd bet the true story is a bit tamer than the one from the Mother in the article. The article never says what the kid did in the first place. Mentally Challenged people commit crimes, know the difference between right and wrong and even commit murders.

I have a challenged Cousin who had to be put permanently in an institution because he was so dangerous. Mental age of around ten, but very violent and kept hurting people. At 6'4" and strong as an Ox, he was very dangerous. Just saying a challenged person is challenged does not mean this kid did nothing to cause this. The article does not say a word about why. Usually that means the author is hiding something to sensationalize the story for attention. Journalists do that all the time.

All anyone can say here is we have the Mothers side, know nothing else or even if she is telling the truth or not. Those are just facts and the only facts available.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
roid rageing power tripping mofos

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
this is how cops get dead
is see a pattern and an end result-a-comin
there is absolutely no excuse for this type of abuse and people have the right to open season on scumbags like these.

we had a similar situation with a respected member of the community, when the cops thought the man was drunk, but what they didn't realize while they were beating him was the fact that he was diabetic and was having an episode and was completely sober.

he wouldn't press charges against them and they never apologized, he was just another bullied scared victim.

I'm not a victim and I'm not scared and the public need to make these people accountable for their actions

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Quote: In my lifetime, I've never met a person who was anti-Cop, getting arrested often and who has a bad relationship with the Cops, who was not a criminal who brought it on themselves. That's why we know those who are constantly ranting about Cops are very likely committing crimes or using illegal drugs. It is almost always the case. Nobody is being fooled.

Well i can't stand cops, and i've never met a cop in my life that did'nt have a god complex. Which is about as fair as you grouping anyone who does not submit to supposed authority as a criminal. I know two cops personally that i went to school with both arrogant ***** who for some reason picked LEO as a proffession. They did'nt get much respect in high school, so i guess they wanted to make sure they got it at the end of a taser or gun. Since that's the stereotype that gravitates towards that profession, they picked a suitable career. I don't steal,murder ,rape, rob, or harm anyone. And as for the illegal drugs part, go arrest the CIA or Bill Clinton for drug running in Mena Arkansas, oh sorry i forgot thats out of their pay grade.

youtu.be... many more like it if you care to look it up. Man can't stand the hypocricy.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Police have a very hard and challenging, dangerous job. That said they also should never take their jobs personally or abuse their power! Some cops should never be given such power in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join