It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

police "mistook" handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered,

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Since our schools are supposed to be teaching our children how to get along in the world, they need to start a new course - one in proper submission to authority.

One should be taught that one sight of cop, you should immediately drop to the ground, hold your hands out and and spread your legs, and urinate on yourself.

On then will our kids be prepared to be able to survive in the future this new world holds.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MustangDesigns

It is nothing wrong with that boy, if he can ride a bike then its nothing mental about him.
He was probably mouthing off at them and said something very wrong...he deserved it!

Our dignified police officers go through to much in protecting the citizens of this great nation, and do not deserve to be disrespected in no way shape or form.

Hopefully this will be a lesson to the lil boy and his lying as mother.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I find it eminently funny that a lot of the posters on here scream about rights yet afford none to police officers.

I also find it amusing that it is OK to paint an entire segment of the population with the same brush as long as the target of that brush are cops but if cops do it in return they are bullies, thugs,racists, idiots etc.

I find it funny that a premise of our Constitution is the presumption of innocence and screech shrilly about police officers ignoring this- yet engage in pronouncing guilt prior to the judicial outcome in regards to the OP.

I am not saying my opinion on this case differs.. I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Yes, the officer may be presumed innocent legally, but that doesn't mean we can't share our opinions on the incident before a ruling is made.
Our freedom of speech is a protected right, the boy's freedom of speech is a protected right. The officer does not have a right to assult somebody because of mockery or perceived mockery.
What rights is the officer supposedly not being afforded according to you?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

This post gets sarcasm award of the day. I especially like the part about not being able to ride a bike if he were really mentally handicapped. That's exactly the kind of thing that defenders of abusive cops would think and say to support their heroes.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PplVSNWO

Blanket statements:

Quote: Heartisblack
This is wrong, police are ridiculous these days.

Quote: acidtastic
More jumped up filth acting like jumped up filth.

Quote: zamini
It actually stems from a history of abuse. They NEED to be in power, when they are in power they feel as if the abuse can't happen again.

Suggestive of Causing Harm/Contamination to Food Consumed by Officers:

Quote: butcherguy
I know what I'd like to do to their donuts. Oh, if I only worked at a donut shop!

(Meant to be funny but then again it's got stars out the whazoo....)

Assumption of Guilt Prior to Trial... Whole thread

Now for this exercise replace the topic at hand, "cops", with a race, sexual orientation or religion of your choice. Not so fun to jump on the bandwagon now is it?

Again I am not in any way disagreeing with the gist of the thread. If an officer does not know how to recognize and handle an EDP then they need to go. I am simply stating that it would be nice to see discussion rather than blanket condemnation of that officers department as well as an entire segment of the population.

I also find it amusing that those who scream the loudest that the police should not be judge and jury have no issue acting in the same fashion in respect towards the police. Physician heal thyself and all that rot....
edit on 30-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is something out of a nightmare.... You keep hoping some one with sense will come along to help you out, but it just keeps getting worse and worse....

I can't believe it... They kept telling him he is mentally challenged and can't understand what is going on.... Yet, they beat the crap out of him and tried to charge him?

Come on, they had to have known nothing would come of it if they charged him....

I guess, the only thing I can understand is that they got mad when he left to get his mom.... I am sure they could see that as fleeing the scene or resisting arrest, but come on.... The idiots knew he was mentally challenged.

I used to back cops a lot more than I do now... And I still do think that not all cops are bad.... It's just a bad few that spoil the bunch, but it seems like that bad few, is growing to a bad bunch, really quick.....

Meh

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

The problem seems to be that most cops think that most cops are good guys who respect citizen's rights, while most citizens think that most cops are out of control.

You seem to interpret "most" as "all", despite all the caveats that people make that not all cops are bad guys.

It just seems that you and other leos have a very hard time acknowledging the extent of the problems.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437

I am not saying my opinion on this case differs.. I am simply pointing out the hypocrisy.

So, what's your opinion on this case then?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by SFA437

The problem seems to be that most cops think that most cops are good guys who respect citizen's rights, while most citizens think that most cops are out of control.

You seem to interpret "most" as "all", despite all the caveats that people make that not all cops are bad guys.

It just seems that you and other leos have a very hard time acknowledging the extent of the problems.

OK- point made and taken.

Now how about simply replacing "cops" with a race, sexual orientation, political view or religion?

Most liberals are...

Most blacks are...

Most gays are...

Most Muslims are...

None of those topics are going to end well but it's all good when it's piling on cops.

What I don't get either is why blame the private for the general's goatrope? Sure the private shares the blame for carrying out a nonsensical or illegal order but in the end it is the general who should be called to task for issuing it in the first place but everyone seems to give politicians a pass depending on their own political views and which party is in office.

Any organization changes from the top down people and in the case of a police department the top is the mayor who has been elected. If you do not like the way your department is run- vote in someone who will run it the way you wish it to be run.

As for me not recognizing the extent of the problem... in my department it never became a problem. I was the senior Field Training Officer and if some rookie was badge heavy he got sent home minus that badge. It is way easier to remove the cancer when it is small, before it has metastasized to infect the body as a whole. I had no problem removing rooks from the force who crossed the line from peace officer into law enforcement and that was why my department had no issues such as this.

As for my take on the OP- barring any further information- I think the officers messed up. Once someone identifies a subject as an EDP the response should change.

A Taser is an effective tool for gaining control of an out of control subject without going hands on which is MUCH more dangerous to both parties. In this case I do not know what precipitated the initial contact... was the subject running around heaving bricks at people?

Without further info though I am going with the officer's screwed up, based on my own training and experience however I do prefer to reserve judgement until I hear both sides of the story as the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I will repeat a post I have unfortunately had to make before...

The only good cop is a dead cop.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock

I will repeat a post I have unfortunately had to make before...

The only good cop is a dead cop.

How about

The only good black man is a dead black man?
The only good Muslim is a dead Muslim?
The only good homosexual is a dead homosexual?
The only good liberal is a dead liberal?
The only good Republican is a dead Republican?

This is an example of the RAMPANT hypocrisy in these threads. Apparently YourPopRock is the final arbiter of life and death and will apply judgement, without trial, and execute those he deems to have acted as the final arbiter of life and death and who have applied judgement without trial and have executed someone.

CLASSIC!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527
It is nothing wrong with that boy, if he can ride a bike then its nothing mental about him.
He was probably mouthing off at them and said something very wrong...he deserved it!

Our dignified police officers go through to much in protecting the citizens of this great nation, and do not deserve to be disrespected in no way shape or form.

Yeah I guess I was wrong again. This is rather depressing:

I think that this is so inexcusable that no one, not even cops will attempt to defend this. But you never know, just when I think people can't get any lower, they surprise me and sink to new depths.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hopefully Immortalgemini527 is not a LEO.

If you were just being sarcastic, I humbly apologize. Sometimes I fail to catch sarcasm. We desperately need a sarcasm font.

edit on 6/30/2011 by Sparky63 because: formatted post

edit on 6/30/2011 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

This is unbelievable and unacceptable in so many ways people need to get off their butts and protest,and call for a change.jeez, I just had oral surgery and couldn't talk properly for two days,I wonder what would have happen to me if a cop stopped me?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Immortalgemini527

OMG !! You can't be serious?...
... If someone can ride a bike ,they are not mentally challenged?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Hopefully Immortalgemini527 is not a LEO.

NO kidding !!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
I find it eminently funny that a lot of the posters on here scream about rights yet afford none to police officers.

I also find it amusing that it is OK to paint an entire segment of the population with the same brush as long as the target of that brush are cops but if cops do it in return they are bullies, thugs,racists, idiots etc.

I find it funny that a premise of our Constitution is the presumption of innocence and screech shrilly about police officers ignoring this- yet engage in pronouncing guilt prior to the judicial outcome in regards to the OP.

I understand what you are saying...and it isn't fair to paint all of them with the same brush...which I don't think everyone is doing. Maybe if more police officers admonished some of their coworkers for very unprofessional conduct, they would be more inclined to listen to their peers? After all its you guys who will have to bear the brunt of all the animosity and hatred towards leo's.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

The difference is that most blacks, gays, women, men, etc. don't have the power to kill, injure, or imprison us with impunity, and most don't.

All police have those powers.

The job by it's nature and power it confers must be judged more strictly than others, and must be held to a much higher standard than most.

Some leos lie. Some leos steal. Some leos kill.

Our problem is that all leos look the same to us...we can't distinguish a good one from a bad one by sight alone; I sincerely wish we could.

So when we see one that violates our sense of right and wrong, and other leos leap first to his or her defense and tries to find justifications (some fairly extreme) for the behavior, it looks to us like none respect us.

None that we can discern at any rate.

Even if 95% of cops were respectful, polite, and never, ever violated citizen's rights or intentionally harmed people they didn't like, we would be pretty stupid if we acted as if they were 100% clean. More to the point, it simply isn't safe to trust a cop not to cause you harm, or that their behavior is going to be rationally predictable. For the average citizen, cops are far more dangerous than criminals are. The chances you will be accosted by a criminal to your detriment are far lower than your chance of a negative interaction with a cop.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Hope the family has a good lawyer, because that cop can be put away in jail for 30 years max.

I hope that officer likes having friends, he's going to make lots of them in jail, especially in the shower. Bow chicka bow wow.

But serious that's wrong, poor kid. I hope they have a good lawyer, USA cops need to restrain their need for control, and restrain their emotions.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Anthony1138

i hope the cop has a good lawyer to so they can find out the mother put her son up to do this .

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join