It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

police "mistook" handicapped teen-ager's speech impediment for "disrespect," so they Tasered,

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MustangDesigns

Something has to be done since incidents of this type will continue to escalate until people step up and say it is unacceptable. If you do nothing, even by the standards of a court of law you are saying it is acceptable and may continue.
For example, someone screws you on wages, you speak up right away you can get your due wage but wait and you will be told since you accepted it without complaint that is a fair wage.

Same with this. Saying and doing nothing means it is acceptable to society as a whole, which it isn't.

I would love to hear from the few cops who have started threads telling how to treat them and why cops behave as they do. I would like to hear from those cops. What are people supposed to do about this?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
WE have to police the police. Police are often in a position of absolute authority in one on one confrontations - and we all know that absolute authority corrupts absolutely.

You know, it's actually against the law in some states to film police activities - but to hell with those laws, disobedience is moral in such situations.

Police often use the slogan, "If you're doing nothing wrong, then you have nothing to fear!"

Ditto, boys and girls in blue - thank you to the creator of Openwatch, and the smart phone app "Coprecorder" which allows the smart phone user to record interaction with cops, and the cops can't even see that it's going on.

Luckily, this cop was busted - or at least the incident is documented; but how often does this same thing go on, and we never ever hear of it?

If you are interested in reading about Openwatch and downloading coprecorder for a smart phone, then you can read about that here:

hubpages.com...

We've got to get a handle on the police - they become more and more like marines every day that passes.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Star & Flag.

As I was bookmarking this to add to my collection of similar stories, it occurred to me that there may be something more to this than just Donkey's Rears in uniform.

We know TPTB are very very good at setting-up "lets you and he fight" type scenarios. Blacks vs Whites, Right vs Left wing...

Are we now seeing another set-up??? Law enforcement vs the people??? Add in TSA and it puts a whole different light on these taser/abuse issues we read about so frequently.

Are we as a people being set up to FEAR and HATE the cops??? With a corresponding back lash from law enforcement towards citizens???

Here is another tidbit that sort of supports what I am saying. Take Civil Asset Forfeiture and coupled it with budget problems and we may be seeing law enforcement being diverted into revenue generating organizations. Legalized "THEFT" if you will with abuse if you protest the theft of your property thrown in to add insult to injury!

"Civil asset forfeiture has allowed police to view all of America as some giant national K-Mart, where prices are not just lower, but non-existent — a sort of law enforcement 'pick-and-don't-pay.'"
—U.S. Representative Henry Hyde

Incredible as it sounds, civil asset forfeiture laws allow the government to seize property without charging anyone with a crime....

Eighty percent of property forfeited to the US during the previous decade was seized from owners who were never even charged with a crime! Over $7 billion has been forfeited to the federal government since 1985....

"Even if you're a law-abiding citizen who's never been convicted of a crime, local police are allowed to confiscate your property and money and keep up to 80 percent of it for themselves, with the legal stipulation that this windfall be spent only on programs likely to result in additional confiscations where the police can keep up to 80 percent of the booty for themselves," wrote Jennifer Abel in an October, 2007, article published by the Hartford Advocate.

The Spring 2007 edition of Justice Policy Journal features a 31 page treatise, Civil Asset Forfeiture: Why Law Enforcement Has Changed its Motto from "To Serve and Protect" to "Show Me the Money," in which Jared Shoemaker examines the negative impact on law enforcement goals and practices when police agencies aggressively pursue civil asset forfeitures as a means of supplementing their budgets, as well as how police agencies' addiction to forfeiture revenue leads to disregard for individual due process rights, sometimes with tragic and life-altering consequences for innocent individuals.... www.fear.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have to say that this LEO's actions were deplorable. And on another note, to those of you saying we can't lump in ALL LEO's with this one LEO, i will say these few things. Of course we can't say that ALL LEO's are bad because one of them acted in a horrible manner. But... you have been watching the news lately? Reading the papers? Browsing the internet? Have you seen the increase in acts of violence by LEO's worldwide that were obviously wrong? These things have happened. These things are happening. I completely believe 99.9% of LEO's are complete and total thugs. They are individuals that should not have a badge. And pretty much, 99.9% is MOST. So i will use MOST. Most police are jackbooted, prejudiced, racist, sexist thugs. If you can avoid being in there presence it is highly recommended. Because even if there is ONE good LEO in the group that are near you, chances have it that the rest ARE NOT. I may seem biased, but my views come from many experiences with the law enforcement community. I HAVE known good LEO's but not many.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mari4199

So by saying 99.9% of police officers are corrupt thugs, you have personally met and interviewed 100% of America's 683,396 cops?

If you are going to throw numbers out please specify how you arrived at that number. If you instead are attributing behavior to a group based on a limited number of examples then you are simply a bigot.

big·ot
noun ˈbi-gət
Definition of BIGOT
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance
edit on 2-7-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I only have a few words to say really. F*** the police!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Another very similar incident just took place on Thursday.

"Autistic teen killed by police following argument with mother"

Police called out to a domestic disturbance Thursday say they were forced to shoot and kill an 18-year-old man armed with a knife shortly after entering the apartment he shared with his mother.

This is just another example of why you should never call the cops. They just make everything worse. At the end of the video the mother states that she wanted to come back into the house and talk to her son with the police but she wasn't allowed back in and they fired upon the son immediately after entering the apartment.

Here's a link to the video

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Hey all,

I just wanted to say I am not completely surprised after seeing a few recent episodes of American TV show Cops. I am from Australia and the police here act very differently. I am not sure which American states featured but the police are pretty hardcore, they looked more like military than police officers.

When making an arrest and the suspect is on the ground surrendered ready to be cuffed, most of the time another officer comes flying in to squash the suspects head between his knee and the ground. I didn't expect them to be such bullies especially on camera, but I guess the stakes are a little higher with so many guns around.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Reply to post by alphawhisky

When the cameras firs started followin them they acted nicer and more humane. To put a friendly face up for the public.

That lasted about 10 years.

Now they get more aggressive forte cameras. To show how bad ass they are. Like little boys fronting to the neighborhood. The camera itself escalates the situation.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Uh... this is Dayton.... that's how they roll...

Uneducated and full of spite

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The problem is that today's cops have a "God Complex". A pretty severe one. They have forgotten that they put their pants on one leg at a time. They have forgotten that without their "job" they are a person... just like the rest of us. Today's cops are blind. When you think about it, they are more duped than others are - the cops have swallowed the ole Globalists agenda and are enforcing it on the rest of us. They have forgotten that they are creating a world for their own children that will not be worth living in.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
so basically we are all forced to respect police and if otherwise we get tased for it?

wow 4th reich

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
"Respect my Authoritaw!"

Why do you think these cops are getting so high-strung? Are they putting amphetamines in their morning brew?

A lot of cops are juicing...that could be the reason. Steroids cause anger issues among ordinary people. Add that to mix with an already cocky scumbag with a badge and a gun gun, and you get a perfect Pig!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It sickens me that these type of stories keep coming up since as long as I can remember. The people that are supposed to protect us... seriously?

Not that I am particularly suprised, give someone a role with some power and responsibility and watch it go to their head. I hope karma kicks the # out of the people that do this kind of thing and get away with it

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Once apon a time, not too long ago pigs with an attitude were thrown out of the trough!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The one side of this story we don't read often is that of law enforcement's point of view. The public has the Internet as an outlet, in addition to the freedom to express their (or our) discontent. A police officer, on the other hand, must abide with departmental rules (whether implicit or explicit) & tread carefully lest he or she be suspended or lose their job. Then it must be admitted that there are police officers who revel in the authority & power (in contrast to citizens who engage in criminal behavior) that being in law enforcement affords. When on their own they lack integrity & good ethic (i.e. do the right thing), as well as common sense.

I think it's a bad idea to generalize police officers, if only because there will be good cops and there will be bad cops. Moreover there's no indication that crime is on a downturn in America, so there continues to be need of officers so as to enforce basic laws & maintain order. But concomitant to all of this may be the sense among police officers that "it is us against them," as in it is law enforcement against society. They are, after all, an organization, & at the level of individual will be persuaded by an organizational mindset; and this conception is not too far removed from the type of mindset that sinks in throughout military servicemembers serving abroad (as an analogy)--particularly if they are responsible for patrolling/operating in a hazardous battlespace. This "us versus them" mentality unifies purpose of mind & resolve, in which case regular, no-trouble citizens are regarded as "one of them" &, ultimately, with mistrust. So my idea is there are two forces at play, bumping heads against one another: 1) the public; 2) law enforcement. Compounding this bumping of heads are judges who, in some cases, cast judgement against the grain of pre-established rules, norms & traidition, further irritating the tension between public and law enforcement relations at a local, state, & national level.

How do I think we solve this problem of escalating tension between the public and law enforcement? First, it needs to be recognized by both that there is a rising tension. I've little doubt that the public recognizes this, though I cannot speak for law enforcement agencies as a whole because I've no affiliation with law enforcement. But there needs to be a dialogue--a very frank dialogue that identifies trouble areas. Such a dialogue should outline departmental rules that law enforcement officers are expected to abide by, because it seems to have become too much of a grey area in terms of an officer's escalation of force/rules of engagement guideline; a citizen's right to photograph or film on public property; whether an officer is entitled to taser a mental handicapped (or anyone) on the basis of perceived disrespect and et cetera. As seems to me, there is too much grey area & too much perceived flexibility on the side of law enforcement to "make it up as they go along." In my mind this perceived flexibility goes the way of further deteriorating mutual respect between the public and law enforcement.

Begin with lots of dialogue. It may be heated dialogue, but it needs to address concerns on both sides of the table. Then solutions need to be proposed, and whatever agreements may be admitted they must be clearly understood and equitably enforced on both parties. Effectively, I'm suggesting that this is a problem that should be dealt with first at the communiity level which recognizes there ought to be a sense (not a demand) of uniformity to outlying communities across the nation. If/when the community level grievances are hashed out, work up toward the district level, then the state level and then toward the national level.

Naturally, if one side or both sides refuse to own that there is a problem, then there can be no resolution. But from a private citizen point of view (my point of view), we fail ourselves & we fail our own system if we fuel a sense of ostracization toward law enforcement. The communities--not the media & not the Internet, need to broach grievances and work toward solutions. Moreover communities should understand their local law enforcement's policies. No doubt part of the problem is simply miscommunication & misunderstanding.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Axebo because: typo

edit on 3-7-2011 by Axebo because: another typo

edit on 3-7-2011 by Axebo because: more typos

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Some people are just trigger happy, and will find any excuse to exercise their authority, just like 'mall cop' taught us

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

LMAO now...that...is...funny. Anyways...this is messed up, cops need to remember that they're public servants and people are the true sovereigns, not them not the goverment, but damn when's the last time you felt like a sovereign????

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You know pigs and dogs are both awesome animals so I'm not going to sully their species by relating them to these animals in uniform. What I will say is karma is real, what comes around goes around. The filth, scum, power tripping, poor excuses for humans responsible for this will get theirs.

Ps: Try this on my kids and see what happens.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This happens to diabetics experiencing insulin reactions all of the time. Police mistaking them for being drunk, on drugs, etc. It is a tragedy

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join