It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Bless Our Military? Not At The Houston National Cemetery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Dunno if I believe this or not, but apparently the author of this article is saying ALL prayers to be said at the VA Cemetery in Houston has to go thru her...

Seems the Houston National Cemetery Director has ruled that grieving families cannot use the words “God” or “Jesus” at any funeral ceremony without her approval.

Link

ETA: YUp, looks like theyre trying to censor it at military funeral
Texas Vets Told Not to Use 'God' During Services

Dunno what to say to all this, I'm a Veteran, and this is what I swore to defend the USA for? Make me have second thoughts...
edit on 6/30/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I just find this impossible to believe! I'm looking into it to verify it. But I think there's GOT to be more to the story that we're seeing...

The 26-page complaint also alleges that any prayers with religious language must be pre-approved by the cemetery director, Arleen Ocasio.

Source

What? What is prayer without religious language???
edit on 6/30/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, I thought so too, but I'm hearing more and more from Veterans living in the houston area.....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I want to see the Director's statement. All I've seen so far are allegations. Nothing solid.

Ocasio couldn't be reached for comment. Assistant U.S. Attorney Fred Hinrichs told the judge:

"We're in the process of going through the claims. Some are true, and some are not true."

Read more: www.myfoxhouston.com...

Whatever the case, this can't happen.

edit on 6/30/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I wish I found this difficult to believe or I could say I'm surprised but neither would be true..... It seems that the Political Correct crowd are everywhere. How sad that grieving families are being subjected to this type of abuse and harassment at a time when they are least able to handle it. How can you have a religious ceremony without using words such as Jesus, God, Allah or whatever is appropriate for that service? How can this government entity justify this type of treatment? I'm not surprised but I am appalled. There has to be more to this then we are hearing.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
But how can the director stop them from uttering religious words? She has no power to do that. Why don't they just blow her off?

And is this a DEMAND she's making? Or is it a request?

This year, for the first time Pastor Rainey was asked to submit his prayer before the ceremony (click here to read prayer). Subsequently, Ms. Arleen Ocasio (Director, Houston National Cemetery) gave Pastor Rainey an unconstitutional demand to edit his prayer to be more "inclusive."

Upon this outrageous request, noted defender of religious freedom, the Liberty Institute, filed a brief with the VA (click here for brief) demanding that this unconstitutional position be reversed.

Source

How can a cemetery director control what comes out of people's mouths? This makes NO sense... Is it possible she's ASKING for this to happen, but the GOP is saying she's DEMANDING it?

From May of this year:

Gover nment Concedes - Pastor can Pray in Jesus' Name

HOUSTON, May 27, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Federal District Judge Lynn N. Hughes granted a temporary restraining order preventing the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and its Director of the Houston National Cemetery, Arleen Ocasio, from preventing Pastor Scott Rainey from praying in Jesus’ name during his invocation at a Memorial Day ceremony sponsored by the National Cemetery

This is so confusing!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is disgusting big time, and I am not a religious person. But to each his beliefs, and they should be respected. are they going to retrofit all the gravestones that have crosses on them to be more "inclusive"? and who is she trying to include in these ceremonies that would feel alienated if a christian funeral prayer included the word Jesus or God?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If anyone would like to help get this nazi fired....Dept. of Veterans Affairs (Houston Office) 713-383-1999
Dept. of Veterans Affairs (DC Office) 202-373-5400

She is a disgrace. She has closed the cemetary chapel and removed the cross and bible and will only allow the families 20 minutes to grieve. She refers to the Veterans and their greiving families as "customers".

Michael Berry is on the case.
www.ktrh.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
She's been served with a restraining order, saying she can not do what she's doing... Why is this story being brought up again, as if she's continuing to bother people?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
But how can the director stop them from uttering religious words? She has no power to do that. Why don't they just blow her off?

If this were private property I'd think she may have some kind of right to do this. But on public property we're probably looking at a 1st amendment violation.

I agree with you that there must be more to the story.

But even as a hardcore atheist I find this kind of behavior unacceptable.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Because she is still doing it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

But exactly what is she supposedly doing? If someone told me not to pray, I'd blow them off. HOW is she stopping them? It doesn't make sense. Is she attending every funeral and putting her hands over their mouths?

These people are claiming she's making demands and requests, but I've yet to see any physical indication of that, like a sign or a pamphlet or a court order.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Most of the info coming to light now is regarding an on going lawsuit by a pastor's Memorial day service. Cemetary employees and funeral home directors are coming out of the wood work with info about what she is doing currently.

It looks to me like she was just using intimidation and was apparrently smart enough not to put these "rules" in writing. If she did , we haven't seen them yet. Maybe the families assumed that because it is a gov. cemetary they had to follow the rules set down by the director. IDK
I am with you though. If I were a christian and was told that I could not use the words "God" and "Jesus" I would tell her in no short order to kiss my a**.
I am not a christian but this is important to everyone. If she (a government appointee) can tell people that they can or can't say God at a private ceremony then everyones rights are at risk. This kind of thing is pernicious and, if allowed to continue, will get even more out of control. Houston is also having alot of cases of apartment complexes and homeowners associations forbidding the flying of the US flag.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Is Houston gonna attempt to be the next Berkley?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

'God' is Allowed at Cemetery

VA Press Secretary Josh Taylor issued the following statement:

"Invoking the name of God or Jesus is not only allowed, it is common at VA National Cemeteries across the country. However, VA's policy is that VA-sponsored honor guards should not make recitations at commital services unless requested to do so by the deceased's survivor(s.)'

Taylor also directed FOX 26 to a little known policy dated 2007. It says Honor Guards "shall not provide texts of any such recitations to the deceased's survivors for consideration."

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Thank you BH

top topics

join