It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prison-Industrial Complex --- “Auschwitz?” right here in “River City” !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
Prison is not supposed to be a holiday camp, diffrence between these prisioners and the jewish people of WWII is that these prisoners where convicted by jury of their peers and I for one hate to see my tax dollars go for them to sit around all day and play the system.

Make them all work, train them and give them skills they can apply outside prision.

edit on 30-6-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

Maybe its not supposed to be a holliday camp. But when it is true what is written in the article, then jobs are taken away from law abiding citizens. Lucrative jobs, if it is true that prisoners were involved in the manufacturing process of high tech arms.

edit on 1-7-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsamuelfrancis
I am so offended that you can even consider comparing this to what Hitler did to the Jewish people.

There is a big difference between murderers, drug dealers and peadophilles compared to innocent civillians that were tortured and killed, or do you see them as "equal"?

You mean the Jews and political dissenters that got "paid for their work"? proof of monetary system in concentration camps.

So equals? not quite but potential equals? Definitively, unequivocally yes. If the Germans paid the Jews, and communists for work done in these camps and then turn around and end up going genocidal on them by the end of the war. How is that any different than the potential we have now?

‎"First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me." -Martin Niemöller, about the inactivity of German intellectuals

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by derst1988

That is a good point !

I would think the "potential" is the hidden problem.

Germany had actual criminal "prisoners" at first too !

Then somebody decided to "enhance" the "potential" .... success with propaganda ?

and with a possible FEMA "potential", we need to be careful of just WHO is "in charge" of these "systems" !

one thing for sure .... WE are NOT in charge are we ?

There have been such things as "debt prisons" !

how about "welfare prisons" ?

what is the Prisoner/Unemployed ratio ?

Think about it !

as we have recently seen, governments can change fast ..... very fast !!!!!!

Don't let the Fox guard the henhouse !

reply to post by drsamuelfrancis

No offence intended.....of course the two are not "equal" !!!!!!!!

we are looking at a bigger, modern-era potential.

ditto...

reply to post by aeonblueprint

ditto...

edit on Jul-01-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsamuelfrancis
I am so offended that you can even consider comparing this to what Hitler did to the Jewish people.

There is a big difference between murderers, drug dealers and peadophilles compared to innocent civillians that were tortured and killed, or do you see them as "equal"?

Of course the "Jewish" groups were the majority, but there were many others also.

What Germany did was to "criminalize" things that were NOT a crime in the past.

THAT is what filled up their "prisons".

sound familiar ?

and the OP is "questioning" if there are comparisons (past-present-FUTURE).... NOT establishing any current similarities. Hence all the "question" marks....I used many !

again, absolutely NO established similarities !

we shall see what happens in the near future however !

think and compare today's "systems" to what they were, let's say 40 years ago ?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I also find it highly suspicious that the GATT agreement cited in the OP was actually written in 1947 !

a scant 2 years (or less!) AFTER Auschwitz !!!!!! it WAS written in 1947 !

What does anybody suppose THAT was all about anyway ?

Right after the German camps !

Was there any "Jewish" oppositions to this ?

Maybe somebody had a "plan" to continue ......... or ??

Even GATT says international prison labor was OK!
International Prison Labor OK!

Many of those opposed to prison labor in the US cite article XX of the GATT which states,

Subject to the requirement that such measures are not applied in a manner which would constitute a means of arbitrary or unjustifiable discrimination between countries where the same conditions prevail, or a disguised restriction on international trade, nothing in the Agreement shall be construed to prevent the adoption or enforcement by any contracting party of measures:
e) relating to the products or prison labor.

This article states in clear terms that the GATT agreement in no way restricts the use of prison labor as long as it does not violate any other terms of the contract while at the same time leaving "prison labor" open to individual interpretation. It makes no mention of wages to be paid, labeling or human rights.

UNESCO and its affiliated organizations have also made many references and agreements on the use of prison labor, mostly in regards to human rights. For example, the Convention concerning Forced or Compulsory Labour under the ILO discussed and defined forced labor in the international marketplace. However, the Convention provided for, "the suppression of such labor in all its forms subject to exceptions relating to compulsory military service, normal civic obligations, convict labor and minor communal services" (UNESCO 72). So, this agreement, and others like it under UNESCO, makes prison labor an exception.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Worthless prisoners taking jobs from desperate americans. They are worse than your average illegal alien I guess.

I say, 3 strikes and your out. Out as in we shoot you dead. A bullet is cheap. Sure, a few percentage will be innocent, but there is always a margin of error (with medicine, elections, the design of your daily driver). I am willing to personally pull the trigger on every scumbag who is on his/her third strike myself. I would sleep like a baby....even knowing a few a year were innocent.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis

Worthless prisoners taking jobs from desperate americans. They are worse than your average illegal alien I guess.

I say, 3 strikes and your out. Out as in we shoot you dead. A bullet is cheap. Sure, a few percentage will be innocent, but there is always a margin of error (with medicine, elections, the design of your daily driver). I am willing to personally pull the trigger on every scumbag who is on his/her third strike myself. I would sleep like a baby....even knowing a few a year were innocent.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

has anyone ever told you the "classic" of all "classics";

"its for your protection as well as ours"

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Great benefits put more people in prison?
this is better than taxing them to death.
who cares about americas unemployed!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
reply to post by michaelmcclen

So you think somebody who's caught with some drug should be sent to a work prison, forced to work for 23 cents an hour for 10+ years to pay off their fine/sentence??? And did you not know that there are multiple incentives for lobbyist to corrupt the system because it benefits them to put more people in prison?? There's PROOF out showing that private prisons make profit with the more prisoners they withhold, so they influence the laws and courts in response. You missed the main point of this thread, which just goes to show the level of ignorance thriving today.

You forgot to mention that the "some drug" usually finds its way into the united states by governmental means. Please don't jump on the discredit bandwagon before you research "Air America", "Iran/Contra" and the CIAs connection to importing coc aine into L.A.. Not only does our GOV import it, and make money off its sale, but it also makes money off of its prosecution of drug crimes by prison labor.

YES, some "criminals" are bad, and need to be behind bars, but some don't.

Many times, the non violent tend to spend more time in prison than the violent do. For example, when California recently had to let some 3000 offenders go due to prison overcrowding, guess who they let go?

The non violent drug offenders?

No.

They let violent offenders and gang members back out on to the streets.

Now, WHY they would do such a thing?

- Problem-Reaction-Solution-.

The violent are harder to control once IN prison, and the non violent tend to "toe the line".

Plus, the more HAVOC caused in the real world by violence means more federal funding for Law "Enforcement"- the larger the budget, the bigger SNAFUS can be created to "protect regular people" from the big bad wolves like terrorism, drug use, and Gun crimes like the many flawlessly executed (not) operations by the ATF i.e. "Gunwalker", "Branch Davidian" debacle, etc.

The system imprisons the nonviolent. Then it lets the violent go to create more violence, which people will then DEMAND something be done about it. They will vote for larger budgets for the police, the police will get it, and then think up some ridiculous use for the budget like allowing inconceivable amounts of weaponry to be traffiked to the Cartels in Mexico (illegally I might add), so we can say how much we need to tighten and shut down the second amendment, because bad people are exploiting it.

Well, the "bad people" that are "exploiting" it are the criminals in the government that think all wars are meant to be sustainable; and those in law enforcement and government that feel it is better to justify their own existence by creating more problems(enslave and terrify), rather than doing their damn jobs and solving the ones we have. (serve and protect)

If they actually did that, my god-, we wouldn't need a paramilitary police force anymore...a simple but effective city police chief and deputies would be enough to insure domestic tranquility...

edit on 1/7/2011 by Lono1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lono1

You forgot to mention that the "some drug" usually finds its way into the united states by governmental means. Please don't jump on the discredit bandwagon before you research "Air America", "Iran/Contra" and the CIAs connection to importing coc aine into L.A.. Not only does our GOV import it, and make money off its sale, but it also makes money off of its prosecution of drug crimes by prison labor.

many people just don't believe this is possible......

that's why its called "The Prison-Industrial Complex"

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

many people just don't believe this is possible...... that's why its called "The Prison-Industrial Complex"

Amen
2d line

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Forced labor is slavery; there is no other word for it. And any true lover of liberty is aghast at the return of this vile institution in our nation, and at the rank exploitation of our fellow citizens by the new slavemasters.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
here is a good article explaining the whole complex;

Prison Industrial Complex

"Prison Industrial Complex" (PIC) is a term we use to describe the overlapping interests of government and industry that use surveillance, policing, and imprisonment as solutions to what are, in actuality, economic, social, and political "problems." ..................

The processes by which this unequal power is garnered and maintained include: creating dominant media images that perpetuate stereotypes of people of color, poor people, queer people, immigrants, youth, etc., as criminal, delinquent or deviant; earning huge profits for companies that provide goods and services to the prison industrial complex; facilitating political gains; increasing the influence of prison guard and police unions; eliminating social and political dissent by people of color, poor people, immigrants, and others who make demands of self-determination and reorganization of power in the United States.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
and this video sheds some light on motives;

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join