It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your view on infinity? Here's mine

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

The current model states that the universe began as a region of extremely high zero-point (vacuum) energy, which collapsed, releasing a massive amount of real energy,

reply to post by CLPrime

Indeed. And, in that way, the vacuum, which we typically consider "empty", is actually the source of all energy/matter, because in its "nothingness" is contained infinite potential energy.
So no need for a "big bang" then, right? Doesn't this describe an infinite potential of energy from zero point energy? Meaning, can't whole galaxies be created in such a manner at any point in time?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Yep. In the current model, the "Big Bang" didn't have to begin from a singularity, or any other extremely small region. It could have existed infinite, and empty, with a much higher zero-point energy level, and, when that level collapsed, the infinite universe rapidly expanded even further - each point in space expanding, as it is now (called a "metric expansion"), only much faster. Then, when the collapse of the vacuum ended, the expansion slowed, and the energy released was allowed to cool and condense, forming an infinite amount of matter.
To be infinite today, the universe had to start infinite.

And, if there's a region of vacuum within the universe (a void) that collapses, it could, locally, form its own galaxies. It wouldn't form a new universe, but it would produce new energy, which would condense to form new matter.
edit on 30-6-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberjedi

Even without a string as an example, the example grows, expands... moves... however you might graph it. The "light" travels... the string or any other example of the universe will be growing if you consider the "light" in all it's forms ( not just visible ) as matter / physical.

Considering an "edge" of the universe... the light will expand the edge? Maybe there's some difference... maybe another universe... as in more then one. Could other universes be a matter of a second beyond any second in "this" time and space? Could it be very, very slightly to the left of anything? a sort of Mr A squared from flatland?

One consideration might be there is no time and no space... Such a "reality" would put perspective on this eh? lol

Keep seeking it all, man.... well done.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This probably does nothing to help answer the OPs questions, but I still like when Carl Sagan talked about the googleplex.

That's 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 100, IIRC. (10^10^100, or 10^google)

If you tried to write out a googleplex (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 ........ ) the piece of paper you would need to write it on wouldn't fit in the known Universe. That's how many zeros are in a googleplex.

Then Sagan goes on to say that a googleplex is just as close to Infinity as the number 1 is!

far out ....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
ATS sure has alot of interesting things to say on this subject, thanks for the replies, some have been usefull to me.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I think your math may be wrong in pt. 3. Infinity is a strange thing indeed. Check this out (BBC, Dangerous Knowledge, on Cantor, one of the great people who have studied infinity)
www.youtube.com...

But its an interesting idea :3

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I don't think the universe is infinite, the universe ends somewhere but you never know because infinite is well... infinite, there might be something else out there beyond our universe that goes on forever,like empty space but well never know.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Perhaps infinity is not something going on forever, but instead the inability for the human mind to comprehend the end of what could be considered "infinity". The end is there, but we can't see it. Am I being clear?.....I bet not.

I also think that matter may be created out of nothing. It had to happen at the beginning of the universe, so why can't it still happen? Where did this matter we have today come from? Nothing......

Is it possible that all this may be possible but we lack the comprehension and scientific know-how to explain it?

Yup your exactly right in my book, but even if infinity existed...how would you come about knowing it was infinite, you couldnt.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
What I find strange about infinity is that many scientist agree that our universe is infinite in size, some also believe in a big crunch. How is that possible? Infinity to finite. Quite paradoxical.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join