It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German parliament approves plan to end use of nuclear energy by 2022

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The Washington Post

BERLIN — German lawmakers have overwhelmingly approved the government’s plan for the country to shut down all its nuclear power plants by the end of 2022.

Basically the headline says it all. By 2022 all nuclear plants. This is in response to the nuclear problems in Japan.
I have never been too Germany, I am curious as is there any threat to the plants in Germany?
Hopefully more closings in other countries will follow.

The article goes on to mention that last year they voted to extend the life of 17 plants.
Nuclear is extremely expensive to operate, build, and dispose of the hazardous biproducts. Many of these countries may have been roped into building them. The meltdown in Fukishima may give countries the out they need to rid themselves of nuclear energy.
The Japanese earthquake singlehandedly ended the nuclear fad.
edit on 30-6-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Thats a good sign...now for the rest of the world....

If its not to late for the world, look around you and shiver

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This idea was tossed around by Merkel very early on after the disaster in Japan and they wasted no time in passing it. Could be an indicator that their plants are in a condition that is far worse than reported. Preventative and ongoing maintenance is never a priority when large scale projects like nuke plants and bridges. Build it and let another generation worry about repairing it.

Big question?? What will Germany do to replace Nuke generated power.?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Very legitimate question. Hopefully this will usher in cleaner fuels. Also a good point by the other poster that we don't know the condition of the nuclear facilities in the first place.

The US hasn't built a nuclear plant in 30 years, and I think there won't be any built now.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Great news:
www.google.com...
and hope they use some of the power generating devices
they developed during World War II that every one put
a stop to.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I have never been too Germany, I am curious as is there any threat to the plants in Germany?

There are always threats
In 1988 a french fighter jet crashed into the woods next to the Nuclear Power Plant Isar 2 (that's next to munich) and god knows what would've happened if it instead crashed into the plant.
Planes are always a risk and as we know, none of the german plants are built to withstand even a crash from a small airplane.

The german plants are old, most of them were buiilt in the late 60's or early 70's and nobody knows just how dangerous they are.Even the newer ones are dangerous, like the Kruemmel AKW. Since it started in 1984 the number of Leukemia was on the rise in the surroundings cities yet the government always downplayed it, saying there's no direct connection between all the Leukemia cases and the nuclear power plant

Because of Fukushima there were lots of tests to determine the safety of the plants and even though it was initially reported, they were safe, some weeks later the media said that most of the plants are indeed dangerous.
Therefore i'm glad they will shut them down.

Originally posted by jibeho
Big question?? What will Germany do to replace Nuke generated power.?

Alternate powers.
I think Germany is one of the forerunners when it comes to alternative energy sources. We already use Wind, Water and Sun to generate energy.
For example our last energy bill showed that about 40% of the energy we used came from Wind & Water, the rest was coal and 0% nuclear energy.
It's possible to go without nuclear energy if we just use the alternative sources more.
edit on 30/8/2011 by ShadowAngel85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well they better have something planned, otherwise, its a bold but retarded move. Big mouths removing atomic energy, let us know how it goes when theres no power for the iPod's, laptops and mainly anything that uses electricity. Its a very nice move tho, they will get good scores on the polls...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The old Nazi Kaiser Wilhelm Society has been renamed the Max Planck Society and the crazy German scientists have been making some serious leaps since their bondage to America/Britain is over...and they're all back working in Germany.

Dr. Hell of the Max Planck Society is getting a big European Science Award this year....created a new microscope that can see smaller than mankind's ever seen before.

They now have an understanding of our existence....nobody else can fathom. They'll come up with a new powersource...or maybe they already have.

We've been concentrating nuclear material to generate heat to get steam to spin turbines.

What if you took normal stable material and could speed up the decay process times 1000 with an energy beam and an ordinary hunk of Granite created enough heat to create steam to spin a turbine?

That's where they are headed.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This is great news. Hopefully Germany will set a precident for the rest of the world to get off nuclear energy. The danger that comes with it is hardly worth the high amount of energy produced.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juanxlink
Well they better have something planned, otherwise, its a bold but retarded move. Big mouths removing atomic energy, let us know how it goes when theres no power for the iPod's, laptops and mainly anything that uses electricity. Its a very nice move tho, they will get good scores on the polls...

We're not like the USA or other countries, at least most the time we think about what we're doing. There's a reason our automobile industry ist still alive, while the american is....dead (and i say that as a owner of a Corvette)
Overall, while i critize Germany and the governemnt a lot (i live here after all), overall they rarely do bad moves. We have so many different political partys fighting over what is right or wrong that in the end always a good move is done. Otherweise we would be crippled like England.

As i wrote before, we already use alternative energy sources a lot and it works just fine. While the US have power outtages every once in a while and after every thunderstorm i only experienced one in my lifetime and that was an accidental cable cutting and only lasted for 30 minutes

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
(...) like the Kruemmel AKW. Since it started in 1984 the number of Leukemia was on the rise in the surroundings cities yet the government always downplayed it.

I lived next to Kruemmel for about 23 years. Next to Kruemmel there has been a scientific reactor, operated by GKSS. There is a lot of evidence that an accident there in 1986 is to blame for raised radiation and leukemia
I will translate rather freely from this source: www.castor.de...

2004 stellte sie ihren Abschlussbericht vor. Er war vernichtend – für die Auftraggeber:
1. Die Funde von Transurane (allen voran Plutonium-241 und Americium-241) sind weder auf das AKW Krümmel, noch auf die Folgen von Tschernobyl zurückzuführen. Mit hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit sind sie das Ergebnis von (misslungenen) »besonderen kerntechnischen Experimenten« auf dem Gelände der GKSS.
2. Alle (Aufsichts-)Behörden und Dienststellen, die die Untersuchungskommission um Mithilfe bat, behinderten im hohem Masse die Aufklärung.(...)

2004 the final investigation report was published. It was devastating for the client(the operator of that scientific reactor):
1. Findings of transurans (mostly Pu-241 and Am-241) are neither out of the reactor Kruemmel nor they are from Tchernobyl. Chances are these findings are a result of (failed) "special nuclear experiments" on the site of GKSS
2. All (supervising) agencies(there are several agencies for nuclear topics here, for example federal and state agencies) have hindered the investigation a lot.

Viel zu spät entdeckten Wissenschaftler der Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Physikalische Analytik und Messtechnik (Arge PhAM) in der Umgebung der GKSS millimetergroße Kugeln, die weder in der Natur, beim Betrieb eines AKWs, noch bei oberirdischen Atomtests »abfallen«. Auf Dachböden und im Erdreich wurden Transurane, u.a. Plutonium-241 und Americium-241 gefunden.

Very too late scientists of Arge PhAM found millimeter sized balls in areas surrounding GKSS, artificial and not a result of operating a nuclear reactor or atmospheric nuclear (bomb) tests. In attics and soil Pu-241 and Am-241 (see top quote) has been found
edit on 31-8-2011 by Newty because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by Newty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Exellent germany is now opening up previously closed coalmines!!! It's fossil fuels ahoy once more. Scuse the negativity but this isn't necessarily a grand thing is it?
As long as Germany doesn't have nuke powerstations within the "ring of fire" (check wiki if your unsure of this) and has special shutdown measures (some reactors actually shutdown overa certain temperature anyway so no chance of meltdown), There would be no need for this kneejerk reaction. Unless germany creates this desired energy output through solar or wind then WE'S A DE-EVOLVING BOYS!
peaceout

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I posted this to another thread earlier but it is far more relevent here. In her book "The externalisation of the Hierarchy" Alice Bailey states clearly that both Japan and Germany will be "sealed in an occult manner". Is the German reaction in anticipation of similar disater befalling them now that Japan has b een 'sealed'.

new topics

top topics

join