It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Problems - Considering a Mac - Advice Needed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
My husband restored it to the previous backup, removing the Windows Update from last night. When he rebooted, there was 1 update, but it didn't have the devastating effects that it did last night.

I'm all back to normal except I lost Dell Dock in the process. It's a free download, so I'll just pick it up.

Originally posted by facchino
Quickest Fix: System restore to date before issue arose.

I see you had the same idea. Well, you're both geniuses in my book.

Thanks so much to everyone for the help.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Good! I did the same thing last week. Computer was fine, cut it off, which I almost never do, then the next morning everything was really, really small, and the pixels were way, way wrong, and I kept getting a message that it couldn't locate files. Couldn't get it stay on the correct "bit" thingies. I would put it on 32 or 16, but it would go back to 8, which made everything look very different. I had color though, albeit was quite fuzzy.

So I made a restore point, and restored it to the date before. It worked! Isn't it a relief when something works? lol

My Dell is about six years old, running XP. I'm thinking of a new one, too, though. I have a beautiful new monitor, and am ready to update the rest of it.

I'm glad yours is fixed too. Hope they stay that way. Computer problems turn me into a crazy lunatic. lol.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Good! I did the same thing last week. Computer was fine, cut it off, which I almost never do, then the next morning everything was really, really small, and the pixels were way, way wrong, and I kept getting a message that it couldn't locate files.

I also had the very small print plus the colors were all wrong (as you can see from the picture of ATS).

Thanks for your input. It's nice to know it happened to someone else, too. Hubby still insists on a new computer, though. At least it's not urgent.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
If you get a Mac.
You should keep the dell and install linux mint or ubuntu on it and have it as a second computer.
I have dell running linux and it works great.
edit on 6-7-2011 by ELahrairah because: bats in the barn

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I bought a mac book on ebay nearly 2 years ago for 500 UK pounds. I have not had one single issue with it since I've had it. Compare that with a desktop and laptop dell, which I had constant problems with and were a distraction to my work flow.

It just seems a lot more stable and more user friendly which is essentially all I ask from a laptop.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

1) anyone telling you to not get a MAC is being silly and compu-racist (new word). I used a PC for many years, had no desire to get a mac. Eventually got one and now would rather eat my own feet then ever, ever EVER use a PC again. Been Macing it for almost ten years now, maybe more.

2) Unless you are a gamer, there is no reason to not get a mac. If you are a gamer, well, you are better off using a rock you found in a river then a mac.

3) Prices vary. If you want a big bad super mac, you can spend 2-10 thousand bucks. If that is your desire, with such a thing you can make a hollywood movie. The Mac I use was used to create Sky Commander and the world of Tomorrow. If you want to spend only a little and still use it for music, art, media editing and basic internet browsing you can pick up a Mac-mini for about 500 bucks, and it will fit in a small carry-along-bag.

4) I recommend a MAC to anyone sick of pop-ups, viruses, problems that take a smart person to figure out, and of course to anyone making art of the visual or audio kind.

A power mac G5 desktop or an Airbook would do you fine. But nobody is talking me outta my Pre-intel G4. I'm just old school.

MM

edit on 6-7-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Don't get a MAC and also don't get a DELL
MACS are way overpriced and suck

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to Mr. Mask

edit on 17-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

do you even have a graphics card?

most Dells come with a chip..

go to run and type in.. dxdiag..

then go to display..

lemme know what it says..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join