It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation found in U.S. Food ..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

is the thread about radiation or about your issues with ATS??

you are totally derailing your own thread.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I may as well post here too.

I watch Breaking Alterantive News, Fragile Earth, Crisis in Japan forums and occasionally the front page for new threads. Never knew the firehose existed, I suppose I haven't crawled around te site enough yet.

There's just SO much going on in the few forums I subscribe to that I can't really spare a whole lot of attention for everything. Between family, work and this there's only so much one person can accomplish.

I do try to add material that is substantive and relevant to the topic at hand, so in that vein I present to you this excerpt from post I made here:

Granted, rain is not something you will be breathing in, but the Cs will be deposited in the soil and can easily be kicked up as dust or otherwise make it's way into the food chain through normal biological processes. Elsewhere we find this:

Radiation levels in the US have declined, according to the EPA, but the agency has not released data on samples taken after April 30, making the results nearly two months old, according to data sets made public by the agency. The EPA typically releases test results two to four weeks after a sample is taken, and the EPA has not released new data on milk since May 24. On June 1, the EPA reported that the radionuclide cesium-137 was detected in one sample of drinking water, and two weeks later the same round of samples were clear of radiation.
and

The EPA claims that the levels of radiation it did detect in recent months were not high enough to raise public health concerns. But how high do radiation levels have to be before the government takes action? For food products like milk, the EPA relies on Derived Intervention Levels (DIL) set by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). DILs provide agencies with guidelines - not mandates - as to when the government should take action to keep food contaminated by radioactive material out of the hands of consumers. A DIL "does not define a safe or unsafe level of exposure, but instead a level at which protective measures would be recommended to ensure that no one receives a significant dose," according to the FDA web site. The DIL for iodine-131, one of the radioactive materials released from Japan, in food products like milk is set at 170 becquerels per kilogram. That number is 1,500 times higher than another government standard, the Maximum Containment Level for iodine-131 in drinking water, which is set by the Safe Drinking Water Act.
source

Specifically for your thread, I have the following charts from the site linked to in the post just quoted:

Along with this:

It was about this time that the EPA stopped monitoring isotopes from Fukushima Daiichi.

The numbers from HI are, as expected, much higher than the contiguous states, but look at the PRECIPITATION numbers!

Guess where all of the Cs is going?

Caesium-134 has a half-life of 2.0652 years. It is produced both directly (at a very small yield because 134Xe is stable) as a fission product and via neutron capture from nonradioactive Cs-133 (neutron capture cross section 29 barns), which is a common fission product. Caesium 134 is not produced via beta decay of other fission product nuclides of mass 134 since beta decay stops at stable 134Xe. It is also not produced by nuclear weapons because 133Cs is created by beta decay of original fission products only long after the nuclear explosion is over.
The combined yield of 133Cs and 134Cs is given as 6.7896%. The proportion between the two will change with continued neutron irradiation. 134Cs also captures neutrons with a cross section of 140 barns, becoming long-lived radioactive 135Cs.

And

137Cs with a half-life of 30.17 years is one of the two principal medium-lived fission products, along with 90Sr, which are responsible for most of the radioactivity of spent nuclear fuel after several years of cooling, up to several hundred years after use. It constitutes most of the radioactivity still left from the Chernobyl accident. 137Cs beta decays to barium-137m (a short-lived nuclear isomer) then to nonradioactive barium-137, and is also a strong emitter of gamma radiation. 137Cs has a very low rate of neutron capture and cannot be feasibly disposed of in this way, but must be allowed to decay. 137Cs has been used as a tracer in hydrologic studies, analogous to the use of 3H.

Wiki

Look at CA, and ID.

Guess what Idaho is famous for?

Gross state product for 2004 was US$43.6 billion. The per capita income for 2004 was US$26,881. Idaho is an important agricultural state, producing nearly one-third of the potatoes grown in the United States. All three varieties of wheat, Dark Northern Spring, Hard Red and Soft White are grown in the state. Nez Perce County is considered a premier Soft White growing locale.

Wiki

Guess I'll be taking an extra helping of cesium with my mashed potatoes for the next few hundred years, eh?

edit on 30-6-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: Fixed link

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

i think people just want to make themselves feel a little safer, but w/the jet stream, it goes over the whole country

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

They arent ignoring i,they are told to deny it....by the tobama people..and the MSM does what toby says do

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You want radiation in your food. It kills food germs. If you ever see them stop irradiating your vegetables, its time to panic. We don't need e-coli here.

Not all radiation is dangerous to humans. You need to do your sesearch before you panic and encite others to worry over nothing.

Please do tell me which emissions you are worried about and how you are sure they got this far

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by siren8

You do realize there have been readings taken in the French mountains of high levels of Cesium in the grass. Use Google. We don't need to prove anything to you. It's not fear mongering when there is a coverup as obvious as #. Not one, not two, THREE nuclear power plants had meltdown's and melthroughs. All of that # is in the air above your head now. And in the dirt you walk on if you've had rain where you live since the meltdown, ie. three days after the tsunami. Where do you think all these contaminants went after being dispersed into the atmosphere? They just happen to stop in California and in the west coast, while everywhere else is fine and dandy? It's in Europe as well. Get a clue.

Are you really that dense where you believe its all A Ok? You kind of remind me of the TSA workers who thought they were the cool ones who got to operate the X-Ray machines and now they are developing ball cancer as well as other forms of cancer. How cool it is to be you

edit on 30-6-2011 by Bonified Ween because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

pose no significant threat to health

This is just statistical speak.

It means that basically... less than a significant proportion (an amount predefined) of Americans are expected to have negative impacts on their health because of the radiation, given that all conditions for statistical inference apply. (Which they never do)

They're speaking in terms of percentages, not numbers.

.01% of Americans is still over 30,000 people.

Translation: They can't assure the American public anything and are just as clueless as we are when it comes to "how serious is it?"

God help us.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The idea of food now showing signs of radiation and could cause cancer in many within the years to come...I have to ask...what about those that already have cancer...radiation treatments are given...radiation is used to diagnose tumor growths...it is shot into your system as a diagnosis facilitator...and if it isn't shot, it is drunk (Barium)

Is anyone looking at the implications here?

The medical field looks at those that have cancer as the "walking dead"...so I can see them not giving a hoot if you already have the disease....will they make the adjustments necessary for those receiving their "extra" dose from their dinner last nite?

Those that may get cancer down the line in about 20 or so years because of "trying not to cause a panic, so we'll keep it quiet for now", are being done a MAJOR dis-service. Money will be collected to "cure" cancer...money will be collected to examine the "causes" and ways to stop it, just more lip service...Big Pharma will continue to create more DRUGS to treat the symptoms and not the causes....Yep...another job created under Obama...

Is everybody happy??? You will always have a job if you work in the Cancer field. Thing is...ya can't take the money with ya...and another way has been found to cleanse the earth of this "cancer" called man....Here's the irony...we are all in this "family" called "man"...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Oh no! Potatoes too? There's another one off my list...and I love potatoes!!!!
I wish they would label where all the food comes from. And while we're here
on the subject, I wish they could label all the GMOs too!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
this is fear mongering IMO, same as the ol' end of the world in 2012 deal, same as y2k.. just another distraction

edit on 30/6/11 by emptyOmind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Does this mean we all can look forward to Turtle Power in the future?

Are the levels harmful? I know we are exposed to radiation every day. This sounds like the strontium scare of the 1950s.

The sky is falling!!! We are all going to die!!! Stop the bombs!!! Stop nuclear power!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
What sort of precautions can be taken to avoid these foods? I mean, we have to eat right. Should I be purchasing foods that are grown or produced on the East Coast, assuming that the radaition would be less there (further from Japan). If the radiation is global, then what foods or medications can be taken to help counter the effects?

I know there is radiation just about everywhere, but I'm assuming we're talking about above average levels of radiation.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by siren8
You want radiation in your food. It kills food germs. If you ever see them stop irradiating your vegetables, its time to panic. We don't need e-coli here.

Not all radiation is dangerous to humans. You need to do your sesearch before you panic and encite others to worry over nothing.

Please do tell me which emissions you are worried about and how you are sure they got this far

Apples and oranges. One is ionizing external radiation which is switched on and off. The other, referred to here, is inhaled/ingested bioaccumulating radioactive isotopes which irradiate surrounding tissue with alpha and beta particles until they decay through their half lives into stable particles.

All radiation is dangerous to all living things.

As for specific emissions:

Cesium (various isotopes) which bioaccumulates in muscle and fat
Strontium (various isotopes) which bioaccumulates in bone
Iodine (various isotopes) which bioaccumulates in the thyroid

Those are the three major ones which have been detected at levels several thousand times normal CONUS. There are other exotics being put out, to the tune of thousands of petabequerels, since all 3 reactors melted down and all 4 SFR pools dried out and offgassed various particulates but those are the main ones that concern me.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Apr. 9 2011
Some good info ..

"Radiation from Japan has been detected in drinking water in 13 more American cities, and cesium-137 has been found in American milk—in Montpelier, Vermont—for the first time since the Japan nuclear disaster began, according to data released by the Environmental Protection Agency late Friday."

"Milk samples from Phoenix and Los Angeles contained iodine-131 at levels roughly equal to the maximum contaminant level permitted by EPA in drinking water, the data shows. The Phoenix sample contained 3.2 picoCuries per liter of iodine-131. The Los Angeles sample contained 2.9. The EPA maximum contaminant level is 3.0, but this is a conservative standard designed to minimize exposure over a lifetime, so EPA does not consider these levels to pose a health threat. The FDA, not the EPA, regulates milk."

blogs.forbes.com...

edit on 30-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

That article is 2 months old and the Fuku array has not slowed it's output into the atmosphere and ocean.

Now realize that it takes 240 years for cesium137 to be converted into a stable atom.

See why I get nervous?

edit on 30-6-2011 by SFA437 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by emptyOmind
this is fear mongering IMO, same as the ol' end of the world in 2012 deal, same as y2k.. just another distraction

edit on 30/6/11 by emptyOmind because: (no reason given)

No mongering, just the facts:

British government officials approached nuclear companies to draw up a co-ordinated public relations strategy to play down the Fukushima nuclear accident just two days after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and before the extent of the radiation leak was known.

And are you 100% certain the England was the only country to get up to these sorts of shenanigans?

"This has the potential to set the nuclear industry back globally," wrote one official at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), whose name has been redacted. "We need to ensure the anti-nuclear chaps and chapesses do not gain ground on this. We need to occupy the territory and hold it. We really need to show the safety of nuclear."

Because, you know, all of that spent fuel is such a tremendous asset.

The Fukushima accident, triggered by the Japan earthquake and tsunami on 11 March, has forced 80,000 people from their homes. Opinion polls suggest it has dented public support for nuclear power in Britain and around the world, with the governments of Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Thailand and Malaysia cancelling planned nuclear power stations in the wake of the accident.

But what do the people know?

"Radiation released has been controlled – the reactor has been protected," said the BIS official, whose name has been blacked out. "It is all part of the safety systems to control and manage a situation like this."

Just look at how controlled information about radiation is at Fukushima Daiichi.

"Anti-nuclear people across Europe have wasted no time blurring this all into Chernobyl and the works," the official told Areva. "We need to quash any stories trying to compare this to Chernobyl."

Chernobyl- one reactor, in operation for nine years whose reactor 4 burned from 26 April to 10 May and was finally covered by a large sarcophagus (which is deteriorating btw and in need of replacement) sealing the site.

Fukushima Daiichi - 3 explosions and eventual confirmed melt-throughs, 40 years worth of spent fuel, and to-this-day uncontrolled and uncontained melted blobs of corium.

No comparison at all.

Other documents released by the government's safety watchdog, the office for nuclear regulation, reveal that the text of an announcement on 5 April about the impact of Fukushima on the new nuclear programme was privately cleared with nuclear industry representatives at a meeting the previous week. According to one former regulator, who preferred not to be named, the degree of collusion was "truly shocking".

source

What I find shocking is the depth that the sand is that the ostriches continue to bury their heads in.

Flap flap

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Hmm Foxnews reporting that? Maybe they will spin it, and say Radiation is good for you.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The splendor of only having to worry about if the rain has any radioactive elements in it.

Do the world a favor and grow your food, for yourself.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Oh crap! I need to pull out the ol' Geiger counter now.

Let's see...where did I leave that. Ah! Right here next to the hand grenades. Time to check EVERYTHING.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

even when i tell people about the radio active errors in the states the MMS isnt paying attention to, i get "oh that's probably fake information." dumbies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join