It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I could levitate one inch above the Earth would the Earth spin beneath me?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I suppose I went too far off the truck bed to stimulate any replies.

1) Air has friction.
2) A vacuum does not.
3) What makes us move?
4) Why do you (seemingly stop?)

One of the above 4 above is illogical.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Yep, it would. Just like it is doing now... Only, you would not see the difference... Unless you hovered for a really long time...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
No you would not, when the earth spins the whole of its atmosphere spins too so you would move with the earth still. Mush the reason why aircraft do not get to a destination quicker when traveling anti earths spin to the opposite direction.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Um, jet streams? Going west as opposed to going east? Being over a large body of water like the Pacific ocean?

You simply do not 'fly off somewhere' because you are not attached physically to the ground, you are attached by the gravitational force of the major. If you get far enough away from the major another gravity will become to effect you. The atmospheric pressures here on earth prevent you from doing that without speed of travel, and I'm not talking about the truck or chicken, relativity of mass.

You will need a propulsion mechanism to not land back on the truck bed here or on the moon because of gravity, (minus air friction). Or you can directionally jump off, that works too, it's been proven, by stupid people.

This is 3rd grade public education science class stuff!

What are they teaching kids today?!?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

If the chickens were to jump higher than the trucks walls, they would then be outside of the truck and the truck would speed on from underneath them.

That's only because of air friction, on the moon in a truck bed traveling 20 mph you can jump as high as just short of orbiting the moon and still land on the truck bed when you return because there is no air friction to change your lateral motion, until you get so high the orbital motion of the moon defeats the motion the truck sent you in. If you jump high enough your trajectory would be influenced by the strongest gravitational object and that would become the moon, unless you jumped fast enough to reach the moon's gravitational escape velocity, then the earth's gravity would take over until you breached the earth's escape velocity then the sun would take you, the galaxy next, and so on.

I would attach a tether to myself and the truck if I plan to get home for dinner later.

why is any discussion of this from outside of the earth relevant to bring up? the poster said "one inch above the EARTH" and "would the EARTH spin beneath me"

therefor my explanation is would've sufficed, also, do not disrespect me by attempting to talk down to me.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yes.

Everything will continue at its current velocity unless a force is applies to it. If you started levitating above the earth then although your velocity would stay the same as the earths surface, your radius from the center of the earth would increase. Since the earth is spinning, this would mean you have to travel a slightly further distance for one full rotation about the center of the earth, or in other words the rotation period for the earth would be less than it is for you. However, unless you're really high in the air then this effect is extremely small.

The atmosphere would also have an impact... winds etc.
edit on 1/7/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
If it is possibe..the coriolis effect would spin you around like the water in a toilet bowl. Chris Angel cant levitate and the coriolis effect proves it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
If you are in a car and you drop a ball from it, to an observer at rest the ball has a velocity in the direction the car is driving. Because of intertia you would spin with the earth.
edit on 1-7-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I'd say this is -mostly- correct, with a minor correction. Space isn't expanding at the speed of light, it's expanding at a rate that when combined over a large scale area, can exceed the speed of light away from a specific point. This is what's known as our observable event horizon because anything beyond that point will never be visible to us since the combined rate of expansion of all the space between us and it exceeds the speed of the light.

As another reply to the OP's original question, I will point to the truck scenario mentioned before as the best example as to why levitating 1" above the Earth would be no different than standing on the Earth other than a less-stable medium. The simple fact being that you are still inside the Earth and will therefore move with the Earth. The Earth isn't just the ground under your feet, but all of that air and other gas we breathe ya know.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I don't think this is a stupid question. It has fueled one of the more logical and informative debates that I have seen on ats in a long time.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

You know how much time I have wasted watching a peg get knocked over?

Funny thing, is I am not the only one.

Then I feel sorry for the poor soul who has to line them up every morning. Intern?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The thing with the pendulum is that they require very careful setup and maintenance to continue moving. A lot of the ones on display in various locations actually use magnets to ensure that they keep moving. They are also inside buildings to reduce the influece of outside weather.

A person free floating 1" above the ground is going to be a bit different than a massive weight suspended by a long cable.

For one, there's the previously queried method of this levitation, which would have the largest effect on what exactly would happen than anything else. The pendulum is being held above the ground by a cable attached to some point of the roof of a building that is directly sitting on the ground. The pendulum is being pulled down by Earth's gravity and the only reason why it isn't sitting on the ground is because a cable is preventing it from shattering the floor. It's not levitating, it's just suspended. If you were to 'levitate' by a cable, then you'd really be nothing more than a human pendulum with the same results already known, but without the preventative measures to keep you moving for tourists.

Then there's the wind...since you're only above the ground and not above the atmosphere, you will be highly subject to the winds. This would, again, be highly affected by the method of levitation. If you were levitating in a building where there's no appreciable air current, and assuming you are still being pulled strongly by Earth's gravity, then again, you would be barely any different than the pendulum.

Really though, given the elaborate methods used to keep those pendulums in motion so that things like air, etc, don't knock them off course or allow them to slow to a stop at times, I don't know for sure if it could be considered a good comparison unless the idea of levitation being used directly relates to way the suspension of the weight of the pendulum is done.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I would like to geniunely thank all those members who filled in my lack of knowledge on physics, the subject of transversing Earth by non conventional means is intriuging?

Just one more question has any object or being held itself one inch off the ground for any lenght of time ie more than a minute ? does the helicopter do this? or does it adjust its speed when hovering?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Probably not.
You would be pulled around by the gravitational field of the earth, but due to wind resistance, you would slowly move around.
Just an informed guess there, but it sure sounds like fun!
Try This thread for ideas.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Just google 'lifters' & all that sort of stuff, it works alright, and the phenomenon is explainable even in 'layman' terms. Have fun!
PS if you want to learn about persons levitating, try that indian cult leader, Swami-lama (or something like that) he was supposed to levitate by meditation alone, but there is no real proof of this, the best film was of him & his followers hopping up & down on their cushions, actually 'levitating' several inches before crashing back down again

I am not bashing religions here, meditation is really very good, i do it myself, but i don't try to kid myself that i can float......
edit on 2-7-2011 by playswithmachines because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Originally posted by chrismartin38
I often wonder things like this, i used to wonder if i threw a peanut or a feather in the air in a fast moving car or plane why doesnt it smash into the back of the car or plane...or a lift falling, if you jump at the last moment do you survive, i remember mythbusters doing something about that...its all gravity i guess

relative velocities - say it with me.

Thank you. This all has to do with gravity and the General Theory of Relativity. Relative to the earth, right now, I'm not moving. However, if you were to observe me from far away, then you would see that I'm really moving at the same speed as the earth is, and according to laws of physics, my inertia will not change when I levitate. I'm still going to be flying through space along with the earth at around 1000 mph, unless I apply enough force to stop my inertia.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

edit on 2-7-2011 by th3dudeabides because: edit on 2-7-2011 by th3dudeabides because: self delete, multiple post

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

edit on 2-7-2011 by th3dudeabides because: edit on 2-7-2011 by th3dudeabides because: self delete, multiple post

link   
edit on 2-7-2011 by th3dudeabides because: self delete, multiple post

link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join