It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I could levitate one inch above the Earth would the Earth spin beneath me?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Yes, you then would be known as the human pendulum.

It is called the Foucault Pendulum and you can find them in science centers and museums, they circle the floor with pegs so you can see the earth' rotation in action, as the earth rotates under the pendulum, it then knocks another peg down.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-6-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
An idea I had to achieve "free" transportation to any point in the world is to create huge sky ports on the edge of our atmosphere, where the air is really thin, and from there fly planes to other sky ports. Because of the low air resistance you required an extremely low amount of fuel. The ports could be kept in the air using balloons, and be connected to the ground with cables and an elevator.

There are probably a dozen of reason why this would not be practical but I though it was a cool idea

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If you could attain a lateral speed of about 1,000 mph simply by levitating off of the ground then that would really be something wouldn't it? Like solve our dependence on fossil fuels and such.

*ring ring* "Yeah Bill, how's it going?"
"Great Bob, just about to head on down to the beach"
"I'll be right over after I get off of the ground and will be heading your way supersonically, put out the net for me".

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think that depend on which way the wind was blowing. If there is no wind, you would be dragged along with the atmosphere and you would not move in relation to the earth. If there is a wind you may move faster or slower that the earths rotation. This is assuming the you are levitating with no propulsion system to provide resistance.

think of the air as a fluid and you will see that it is generally moving along with the earth. A helium balloon with a neutral balance of helium may float motionless in relation to the ground until a force such as the wind acts upon it. In actuality it is still in motion along with the rotation of the earth.
edit on 6/30/2011 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

The problem with that is that planes need air in order to fly for both the lift required on the wings to counteract Earth's gravity, as well as for the engines themselves. Assuming such a thing is as high as I believe you are contemplating, the planes would just stall and drop like a stone until they reached the thicker parts of the atmosphere where, hopefully, the pilot would be able to get it flying.

While that might still seem feasible to use at first (assuming the drop is arranged to where the pilot would have no problem pulling out of the stall every-single-time), you then have to take in account how you get the planes back up to the station combined with how you get the people there in the first place.

In the end it would probably expend more energy and fuel, as well as being massively more complicated and inconvenient, to use this than what we are already doing on the ground.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Only if you could negate gravitational forces. That hasn't been perfected yet....except at Area 51.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
Currently,no.

Theoretically, ?

Possibly ????????

If you can, explain it. Currently, gravity says you can not.

Does it? Because to my limited knowledge about this gravity pulls you towards the center of the earth, with the earth's crust stopping that process so you stop there. You might share momentum with the earth for a while (about 1000 mph at the equator) but if you could levitate at a fixed height above the earth's center i think it's possible as long as you dont crash into things. Levitating at a fixed point in space wont work as someone already pointed out since the solar system will shoot away from you @ 25000 mph (or into you lol)

Awesome question btw and i wonder if there's anyone who has an answer based on science, gonna read the thread now so excuse me if it's been answered already.

ETA:

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Yes, you then would be known as the human pendulum.

It is called the Foucault Pendulum and you can find them in science centers and museums, they circle the floor with pegs so you can see the earth' rotation in action, as the earth rotates under the pendulum, it then knocks another peg down.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-6-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

there it is

edit on 30/6/11 by Romekje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

True, current plane designs would not work. I did a quick Google search, and found research is done in planes that are suited for this:

www.gizmodo.com.au...

blog.cafefoundation.org...

The planes do not need to land on the ground, they stay in the air. The passengers and cargo is brought up using elevators. Although I think such an elevator will be one of the hardest design challenge.
edit on 30-6-2011 by -PLB- because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Doctor, the question is unanswerable until you supply more information. If you are able to levitate one inch off the ground, where do you stand in relation to gravity?

Are you countering it with an equal and opposite force? If so, you would still retain all your mass, and would soon leave Earth’s orbit on a trajectory tangential to the planet’s rotation and its orbit round the Sun. From your own viewpoint you would seem to rise vertically but very slowly through the air. At first you would keep pace with the planet’s rotation, but air resistance would slow you down, so it would appear that Earth was rotating more quickly beneath you. Eventually you would exit the atmosphere and fall into your own independent orbit around the Sun, becoming the smallest planetoid to enjoy the dignity of a name.

Or have you somehow contrived to divest yourself of your mass altogether? In that case you would simply rise like a bubble through the atmosphere and out of it. You would then drift away in roughly the same direction as before, but in a straight line, and keep going until the end of Time.

Or have you retained just enough mass to give you neutral buoyancy in air at sea level? Then – and only then – will you drift about like a balloon on the breeze. However, Earth still wouldn’t ‘spin beneath you’ – not, at any rate, in a way different from that in which it spins beneath beneath a floating balloon.

If you happen to have been magnetized, this might have an effect on your movements, especially if you have made yourself – as what fat guy wouldn’t want to? – massless.

There are other possible scenarios, but answer will always depend first on what is happening between you and gravity.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
what if the us military had full antigravity capabilities and that when we see them sitting still they are actually moving at the speed of the earth and when they stay still they shoot off because the earth is still rotating at a pretty fast pace.

thats my opinion

even though its crazy! i might not stick by it

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Think of the chickens & the open top truck examle.

If chickens being transported in an open top truck were to jump and flutter their wings, they would continue to move WITH the truck because they are still inside it.
But,
If the chickens were to jump higher than the trucks walls, they would then be outside of the truck and the truck would speed on from underneath them.

So very simply put, because you are in the earths atmosphere and gravitational pull, you would continue to move with the earth. But as soon as you become 'outside' of the earth you will then experience the same effects as the chickens and the truck.

Another example would be a human in an elevator jumping. You still move relative to the elevator and don't end up smushed against its ceiling.

I hope those examples and explanation help you brain to understand.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Another example would be a human in an elevator jumping. You still move relative to the elevator and don't end up smushed against its ceiling.

Or the classic Bugs Bunny, where he waits til the last second and then hops off of the crashing airplane. No harm done.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Only if you cancelled out the inertia present.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Reminds me of one of my favorite South Park quotes.

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people." Mr. Garrison

If I could levitate one inch above the Earth, would the Earth spin beneath me?

Are you serious?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Maybe what the OP is suggesting is to have the sudden ability to become motionless, defeating the rotational forces of the earth, but that is a very simplistic notion to arrest motion in relation to just the tiny earth.

The earth spins, it's rotation (day), it orbits the sun (year), the sun orbits the galaxy (cosmic year). Relative to the Cosmological Microwave Background radiation, our Galaxy is moving away through space, relative to the centre of the Local Group (of galaxies), our Galaxy is moving roughly the other way, each increment of motions increases in speed exponentially. But it doesn't 'stop' there, space is expanding faster than the speed that light and matter is confined to, (speed of light, c), since space is neither matter or photons, space can expand faster than c. The forces that create the motion we are in get stronger and harder to defeat as speed in increases.

My hypothesis would then be, in an instant's time, our 'motionless' thread starter would soon experience the black emptiness of nothingness and here's why. Time slows as the speed of light is approached directly consistent with the percentage of c you are moving. At c, time stops for the 'entity' traveling c. So yes, those happy little photons that enjoy traveling c that took 13 billion years to reach us experienced no time from their point of view, or from where they started from, because they are massless, which is how they can travel c, but I doubt they have the sensory ability to sense time (assumption), since they are massless, I assume also sensory deprived.

So as photons, the elemental 'particle' of light traveling c, and space composed of void expanding faster than c, a motionless body would soon be passed up by all one experiences as something, so fast that the photons of light being emitted by all that is passing him by would be traveling to slowly to ever reach him while the space he is now in is arrested, in a space outside of expansion traveling faster than c.

I would stick to riding on a fast plane to get around.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

If the chickens were to jump higher than the trucks walls, they would then be outside of the truck and the truck would speed on from underneath them.

That's only because of air friction, on the moon in a truck bed traveling 20 mph you can jump as high as just short of orbiting the moon and still land on the truck bed when you return because there is no air friction to change your lateral motion, until you get so high the orbital motion of the moon defeats the motion the truck sent you in. If you jump high enough your trajectory would be influenced by the strongest gravitational object and that would become the moon, unless you jumped fast enough to reach the moon's gravitational escape velocity, then the earth's gravity would take over until you breached the earth's escape velocity then the sun would take you, the galaxy next, and so on.

I would attach a tether to myself and the truck if I plan to get home for dinner later.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
No, because you are both moving at the same relative velocities.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I often wonder things like this, i used to wonder if i threw a peanut or a feather in the air in a fast moving car or plane why doesnt it smash into the back of the car or plane...or a lift falling, if you jump at the last moment do you survive, i remember mythbusters doing something about that...its all gravity i guess

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
People on this site are slow I swear..

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismartin38
I often wonder things like this, i used to wonder if i threw a peanut or a feather in the air in a fast moving car or plane why doesnt it smash into the back of the car or plane...or a lift falling, if you jump at the last moment do you survive, i remember mythbusters doing something about that...its all gravity i guess

relative velocities - say it with me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join