It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arlington police newest city that begins testing of surveillance drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
www.star-telegram.com...

Arlington police are testing small unmanned aircraft designed to take high-resolution video and photos of traffic accidents, hostage situations, pursuits of suspects and other emergency situations too dangerous to send personnel.

It looks like this may be the testing place for a nation-wide standard on using these aircraft.

The city, working with the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Justice Department, is participating in a national evaluation program. Its data will help develop training and equipment standards for agencies that use the aircraft as crime-fighting tools

Both the Houston and Miami Dade police departments have also tested unmanned aircraft, and other cities have expressed an interest, FAA spokesman Les Dorr said. He added that his agency does not disclose who has applied, citing security and privacy reasons.

It looks like there are a few different types of drones what will be used to.

Arlington is leasing one of the devices, an 11-pound, 58-inch electric helicopter known as the Leptron Avenger, which can fly up to 40 mph. The Police Department was also granted two smaller Draganflyer X6 aircraft, and it may lease other remote-controlled devices that can cost $2,500 to $300,000, Bowman said.

This city has been brought up before, but I think the news was just about them thinking about buying the drones. I think this is the first time Arlington is actually testing them. I believe they used them for survellience during the superbowl, but not for anything else.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
in whisper mode, all you need is another rc plane and you can knock it down without any problem

Cost of Drone - over 100k
Cost of R/C - under 200$

Looks like its hunting season

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
It will be fun when they add weapons to these.

and you thought these were only for killing innocent people in Afganistan.

join