It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Identify Order of Mutations That Lead to Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

Scientists have begun to reveal the order of the genetic aberrations in individual cancers in a finding they say is key to early diagnosis and personalized medicine.

"We know that each cancer is a collection of genetic malfunctions," said Raymond Cho, Ph.D., an assistant clinical professor in the department of dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). "We now show it is possible to determine which changes happen earlier and which ones happen further down the road, even in a single cancer."

According to the study, the ability to identify the actual sequence of mutations will help scientists to determine which mutations lead to precancerous lesions and which produce invasive carcinomas.

Looks like it has become easier to identify the earliest triggers that cause cancer, if I understand the article correctly. How early will the scientists be able to identify the abnormalities? A few years old? At birth? Even before? Im guessing as more and more of this research is done, the earlier and earlier it will be easier to detect.

Maybe a cure is in the making or getting close to being developed that targets the earliest stages? I can only hope.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a world without cancer and HIV doesnt work.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This is brilliant news, star for you!
- It always amazes me when we get little bit closer, baby-steps! If you could target it at an earlier stage and work on from there, you could potentially eliminate this wretched thing!

Jamie.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
somebody gave me TIME magazines from the 1960's.. they're awesome and enlightening

anyway, one had an article on leukemia,,,,,,,,, and it said within 5-10 years they would have a vaccine ready to eliminate it........... well,,,,, 35 years later, where's that vaccine,,,,,,,, it also talked of the revolutionary new chemotherapy "chemicals" ,,,,,,, which surprised me as chemicals in med literature is now a no-no.

would we really let people die for money and profit,,,,,,,,, i hate to think so,,, but give me another good reason why we've made such little progress in 50 years and use poisons and things that cause more cancer to treat cancer,,,,,,,, that survival is living 5 years with cancer,,,,, not real remission

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
How typical of the medical community and the sick-care industry to promote "early diagnosis and personalized medicine". Of course preventive strategies receive little, if any, attention. If you take care of yourself through proper diet and exercise as advocated by holistic physicians, in most cases there wouldn't be anything to diagnose, nor medicine to take.

But there isn't any money to be made off of healthy people. So continue eating the toxic garbage occupying 90% of the shelves at your local grocery store, go ahead and spend all night sitting on your ass watching the social propaganda called "television". No worries, they'll just sell you a pill to take after the fact.

join