It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Most Toxic Plants for Cats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Hey everyone,

Animal lover here...especially cats!.

Wanted to share this info with you for some of you may not be aware of the dangers of these plants to your beloved cats. Got this from the vets page. I didn't realize this until many years of being a pet owner, and thought you cat lovers should be aware. Please keep your pets safe ! If ever in doubt about a plant, just google it.

The 10 Most Toxic Plants for Cats:

1. Tiger Lilies
2. Raw Plants from Potato Family
3. Poison Ivy
4. Mistletoe
5. Chrysanthemum
6. Creeping and Weeping Fig
7. Azalea
8. Juniper Shrubs
9. Daffodils and Bulb Plants
10. Onion Plants

You can read the details on each here:
www.vetinfo.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing. My cat doesn't usually eat the mistle toe but he eats dang near anything else.

OMG, I talked. Their coming for snookie!!!

AHHHHH

Wait a second. Why does any one need to know how to poison a cat? Guys?

edit on 30-6-2011 by siren8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

You forgot marijuana...it is also a plant

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Good list, it's funny my cats love to sit by my onions that are growing in the back yard. Luckily they don't want to nibble on the green tops.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BunnyBeHoppy

Good list, it's funny my cats love to sit by my onions that are growing in the back yard.
Best to keep an eye on the enemy I always say.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Star and Flag! Awesome thread. Practicality prevails here along with compassion and morality!
As well, recently acquired a new kitten, and an ample courtyard for him to run. . .and in deciding some landscaping options, I had recently decided on juniper bushes. . .and now, not so much.
I mean, if you saved a kitten's life today. . .how cool are you!?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Thank you everyone, for your replies.

Glad to know I may have saved a kitty! Honestly, nearly every plant I had outside was toxic to mine and I didn't know it. I was ignorant to these things so I wanted everyone else to be aware. Elephant ear is another btw. There are many more but these are only the top 10 per that one vet.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

Thank you Divine Strake, you are too kind,
Glad to have informed you of this. I love and want to protect them all, am sure you do too. You'll make a good ''parent'' ... or should I say "slave"..

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Thanks for the info I shall put it to good use ?
do I use it to poisen the local cats or not do you see what you have done irresponsible to say the least

people I know cats can be annoying espeacialy when they destroy the veggies or flower boarders but please do not use the info given to cause harm instead grow garlic it sits well in any flower bed or mixed in the veg plot does not take up much room at all and keeps the cats away and not only that it has quite a few uses as well I'm sure others can tell you all its uses me I just make garlic bread with it such a waste really as I'm sure you will all tell me lol

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bauldrick

lol I'm hearing ya. By all means please do not harm the kitties. My sole purpose is to inform others how harmful these are TO our kitties!

Did not know this about the garlic. Thanks for sharing this info.

Yeah I love my garlic bread too! and did not realize cats were repelled by this....of course I have no garden s of yet. Plan to next year..with a little garlic thrown in

Thanks again for the replies, everyone. May you love and keep your felines SAFE-and away from these toxic plants.
edit on 30-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Thats STRANGE I have one cat that is practically a vegetarian, been eating raw potatoes for years, will willingly nibble on the chives growing in the window sill any day of the week, Strange that he is still here, who would have thought.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rossa

Thats STRANGE I have one cat that is practically a vegetarian, been eating raw potatoes for years, will willingly nibble on the chives growing in the window sill any day of the week, Strange that he is still here, who would have thought.

Wow, Rossa,
It would appear someone was looking out for your kitty 0 ) ! Glad that this never affected him...
Better safe than sorry, I always say. I'd keep them at bay from those chives.
Grr... mine just got in my potted plant, dumped the dirt on the end table, and wet! Had to clean that up
...lol but I still love him! Wouldn't trade either of my critters for the world.

edit on 2-7-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

glad to pass on info hope it helps when you start your vegi plot an old fella told me saw me putting tar oil citrus stuff down he told me not to be silly and plant some garlic best advice been given for the garden and I could never harm another living thing unless it was threatening my family not much chance of a cat much harm lol

and sorry for being rude you know the irresponsible bit we all know what are fellow man can be capable of

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I knows the kittehs loves the mint plant!!! They run into the patio and make a bee line to the mint. Rub in it, roll in it, eat it, then come inside and become a walking mint stick... at least it makes the house and their breath smell minty fresh...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bauldrick

glad to pass on info ...
and sorry for being rude you know the irresponsible bit we all know what are fellow man can be capable of

Thanks again.

Tis ok. I understand. You are really right and yes I DO realize there are mean people in this world..

But at the same time folk should be aware of this. I feel this might have been what contributed to my last cats demise : Can't say for sure though. I wasn't aware of all the toxicities in my yard. I feel that the kitties ''slaves'' should know these things

edit on 7-7-2011 by SeekerLou because:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Thanks for the reply . Will have to try the mint too and see if mine like it..

Tis strange my two cats have differences in what is pleasing to their pallettes.
One of my previous cats liked green salad olives and acted like they were catnip or something. The two I have now do NOT like them. Cat's are like people too...or actually I should say I'm more like a cat. lol We have so much in common.

Continue loving and keep them out of harms way !
They are part of our family: We have to nurture and protect

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I agree – all cats are very different. I have 11 and each one has a different personality and meow. My kitties are always into something so even though I would love to have house plants I keep all my plants outside. If I kept the plants inside they would not only eat the plants but also use them instead of their litter pans. You listed raw potatoes plants as one of the poisons – do you know if that includes sweet potato vines?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alena Michelle

I agree – all cats are very different. I have 11 and each one has a different personality and meow. My kitties are always into something so even though I would love to have house plants I keep all my plants outside. If I kept the plants inside they would not only eat the plants but also use them instead of their litter pans. You listed raw potatoes plants as one of the poisons – do you know if that includes sweet potato vines?

Wow 11! You sound like my sis , she has 8 right now. If I could , I would have a zoo of them if I could afford to.
Yeeah I hear ya about the indoor plants lol, if our 3 litter boxes are the least bit used, they will resort to the potted plants. Still love them though! PS They say to have 1.5 litter boxes per ea. cat. So for my 2, I have 3,

I'd say ALL potatoes ,, even sweet is my guess. a potato is still a potato

top topics

join