It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre atmospheric disturbance filmed in Hawaii

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthKix

The stars move normally.
The dots that don't move are "hot" pixels in the camera. You can see them in the more current webcam shots.
nenue.cfht.hawaii.edu...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yer...i just love how people assume they know for a fact that its a missle, with nothing at all to show the rest of us why they think its a missle, they just know its a missle, well i dont just take what you say and believe it ok, i actually think for myself like other people on this forums do, and more people should.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BillyBoBBizWorth

You didn't read the article either, did you?
Just a look at the cool video is enough for you, huh?

edit on 6/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by cloaked4u

No. It was an explosive charge to separate the payload from the third stage. The gases released were illuminated by sunlight. But it was way out in space.

It occurred a couple of hundred miles west of Vandenburg, at an altitude of several hundred miles, in sunlight.

edit on 6/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I think I get now that the rocket itself is over the horizon. Somehow I seemed to have missed that.

But I do not believe that I am seeing gases released from the explosive charge being illuminated.

If the explosion took place at an altitude of several hundred miles, and as the explosive force must be outwards from that point, the bubble must be huge. Many hundreds, if not thousands of kilometres wide.

The entire circle is illuminated, showing that even head on the bubble is visible. The amount of gas required to fill a spherical shell of that size has to be enormous. Let's say the thickness of the shell is 10cm. Let's also suppose that the diameter is only 200 km. Then the volume is 4*pi*1,000,000^2 L or more than 12 trillion litres.
On the other hand, let's suppose it is a shock wave travelling at the speed of sound. At 340 m/s it would travel about 200 km in 10 minutes. That seems to be precisely right.

So this has to be a shock wave travelling through the ionosphere. (I've neglected here that the speed of sound in the ionosphere is somewhat higher than in air at sea level).

Well, on second thoughts, now I'm not sure. As the atmosphere is so thin at that altitude, the escaping gases probably propagate at almost the speed they were released, with very few collisions with molecules in the ionosphere along the way. And the ionosphere is so thin that perhaps you can't see a shock wave travelling through it anyway.

Hmm, now I'm not sure either way. And that second video that was posted was surely a shock wave, not expanding gases.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Prince Williams Birthday present along with other events in the past week.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Oh my! This sort of disturbance has actually been studied in detail.

It is apparently not possible that the disturbance is caused by a mere acoustic shock wave in the ionosphere. Instead it has been proposed that it is caused by a magnetoacoustic wave triggered by the initial blast.

The "magnetic" part of the effect is due to the electrons in the ionosphere if I've understood the abstract correctly.

I am trying to dig up a publicly accessible version of the paper I found this in. Will post it shortly, if I can find one.

Edit: well, I can't find a public version of the paper. But it is:

Disturbances of the ionosphere of blast and acoustic waves generated at ionospheric heights by rockets,
DROBZHEVA Ya. V. ; KRASNOV V. M. ; SOKOLOVA O. I., Journal of atmospheric and solar-terrestrial physics Y. 2003, vol. 65, No. 16-18, pages 1385-1392

Another paper which is publicly accessible is:

rp.iszf.irk.ru...

This shows that these types of events are well-studied, and can even be caused by earthquakes!
edit on 30-6-2011 by XtraTL because: Added references

edit on 30-6-2011 by XtraTL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Looks like a pretty poor attempt at cgi.

For webcam footage, the time-stamp seems to be ticking along at a pretty fast rate.

If the webcam has such a high rate-of refresh, then I'd expect the expanding "orb" to be a bit smoother in its movement.

Nice observation Occam..The time on the video does speed up a touch as the thing is expanding, weird.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well thats a very interesting video indeed! It appears to me to resemble a "shockwave" from some form a blast or very powerful concussion. Ive no idea what would create such a show in the sky like that though. I can see where people would connect this to the Norway spiral but Im not so sure that it is the same phenomenae. It will be interesting to see where this thread leads.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

You didn't read the article either, did you? Just a look at the cool video is enough for you, huh?

How did you know?

It didnt look like something a missle would create,thats why i dont know why people would even suggest that, its resembles a large fart wave more than anything a missle would produce.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buford2

yeah, This is no missle. An exsplosion of that magnatude would need a million megaton bomb to go off. So, did the missle thrust into time warp?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
Can anyone tell me why a missile is being launched in the first place? Do these put satellites into space?

Part of the training to be prepared for combat with these missiles is to launch one every once in a while.

Selecting a missile from the inventory of missiles on alert and launching it without the warhead is a confidence

and motivation activity for the missile crews and a deterrence item for those who may be wondering if our

missiles on alert would actually work if we are challenged.

This is not a satellite orbit mission, it is an operational readiness test.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatwasthat
This is not a satellite orbit mission, it is an operational readiness test.

Why not both?

I don't see any reason to exclude the one just because it is the other. (Well, apart from the mechanics of launching a satellite successfully from an ICBM.)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Part of the training to be prepared for combat with these missiles is to launch one every once in a while. Selecting a missile from the inventory of missiles on alert and launching it without the warhead is a confidence and motivation activity for the missile crews and a deterrence item for those who may be wondering if our missiles on alert would actually work if we are challenged. This is not a satellite orbit mission, it is an operational readiness test.

Now that does sound very logical.However, how do you know that for a fact?

Cheers

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
There are now webcams turned on 27/4

27 hours? 4 days a week?
Interesting.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If the media said it was a missle then it must have been a missle since they would never lie to anyone.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
A halo over Hilo? Hardly!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I guess the missle is the cause of almost every incident these days. 9/11, norway spiral, the cuban missle crisis, we used our missles in viet nam, even our troops in the military used the MISSLE. Just use the missle, it's a cure all. Even the pirates use the missle. Libya used the missle, usa used the missle, russia, heck everyone used the missle in some form of fashion. The missle is fun to use, since everyone uses it. Heck , lets even say the missle is the cause for every phenomina. Watch it, incomming missle. Al quaida uses the missle, and so did saddam. The missle is embedded in our thoughts and minds, so, why not use it. The missle is a tool. so, why not the missle.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

Originally posted by Buford2

yeah, This is no missle. An exsplosion of that magnatude would need a million megaton bomb to go off. So, did the missle thrust into time warp?

Since there seems to be a lot of things you don't understand, I'm going to assume that hyperbole is one of them. A million? Really? What makes you think you would need a moon sized explosion to do this in space? And how does the time warp figure in? Please take your own advice and do some research.
edit on 30-6-2011 by xFiDgetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xFiDgetx

why would it matter? It is not a missle. The point is, that i believe this to be a lie, so if i add in million megaton bomb, a fart like others stated or something else. It is NO MISSLE.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

A missle a day will keep the terrorist away!

One missle they did not admit too was the one fired off California coast late last year. The honest government said it was a jet. I guess the missle BS is only used when a missle is not seen. When a missle is viewed by people the media tells them they are wrong and they actually saw a jet. If it is not a missle then it must be swamp gas, balloons, or fireworks. Any of those will do the trick. Most people can only grasp what they are being told by the honest staff in our government and also MSM who is controlled by our honest government. Those guys would not lie.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join