It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre atmospheric disturbance filmed in Hawaii

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There seems to be a discussion ongoing at present about what could possibly have caused a bizarre halo in the sky that was filmed from Hawaii.

We know that it isn't a youtube hoax, as it comes from a reputable source. And some astronomers are genuinely puzzled, though there are some possible explanations being floated around.

Anyhow, it seems like the sort of thing that will be discussed ad nauseum on ATS, so let the speculation begin.

Here is a site that contains both the video and some speculation about what it might be, which is almost as interesting:

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

I don't have any idea myself as to what it might be, so I won't speculate too much, except to say that it looks like a shock wave of some description. However, I don't understand why the shock wave should be *visible*, rather than audible.

It seems unlikely that it is anything to do with the aurora, as it is filmed in Hawaii.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

I have no idea, but it creeps me out. All these prophecies about seeing and hearing strange things coming from the skies seem to be coming to fruition.

Oh, nevermind. I don't believe in prophecies.

Good topic, though.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

edit on 29-6-2011 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
You didn't read the article?
It was the Minuteman III from Vandenberg.
www.vandenberg.af.mil...

edit on 6/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
weird. it looks like a manual focus lens being adjusted. not a continuous expansion like you usually see in explosion video.
interesting.

edit: oops, didn't see other posts.
edit on 6/29/2011 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Looks like a pretty poor attempt at cgi.

For webcam footage, the time-stamp seems to be ticking along at a pretty fast rate.

If the webcam has such a high rate-of refresh, then I'd expect the expanding "orb" to be a bit smoother in its movement.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The video title is 'Atmospheric Flare From A Minuteman III ICBM Missile.'

I'm going with that.

edit on 29-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You didn't read the article?
It was the Minuteman III from Vandenberg.
www.vandenberg.af.mil...

Ha ha. Yes, I definitely read the article. Thanks for checking.

I think the Minuteman is a perfectly reasonable explanation.

But the details are interesting whether you look at it from a conspiratorial angle or a purely scientific one. Besides, it helps to see the occasional identified flying object.

edit on 29-6-2011 by XtraTL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I think there are people or powers that be that are getting ready to pull of a deception. They have to test their projection devices. I think we are going to see some amazing things soon, but they will not be real. We will think what we are seeing is real, but it will be a deception.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Wait a second... the view shown in that video is to the NNW, judging by the peaks visible at the bottom of the video. Compare to the positioning of the webcams shown here:

www.cfht.hawaii.edu...

Look at the original video, note the visible peaks, and compare to the NNW camera view shown at the site posted above. I'm all but positive the view in the video is to the NNW. The east side of the island is relatively smooth, no ragged peaks as appear at the bottom of the video. California is east of Hawai'i. How does a launch in California, to the east, show up on a camera pointed to the northwest?

I could be wrong, of course, but could a missile launched far to the east of Hawai'i produce this phenomenon to the west of Hawai'i?

edit on 29-6-2011 by VariableConstant because: no need

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

The viewing direction is incorrect. As pointed out in the article:

I noticed the stars of Cassiopeia are visible in the webcam, so the view was to the northeast, which is the right direction to see the missile as well.

You can see Cass (and the sunrise) very clearly in this cam:
www.cfht.hawaii.edu...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Right you are. Forget Cass, I can see the Sun rise from that angle shown as NNW, so they must have them flipped around. Odd mistake for them to make.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So.. what is it? Just a flare from when the missile took off? Basically?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

No.
It occurred at the separation of the payload from the third stage of the rocket.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

what I thought immediately..

CJ

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Is this a joke?

No one knows?

Its a portal opening. Its called an Energy Displacement Sphere.

When a portal opens for a short period of time it takes a vast amount of energy. This energy is displaced from the center of the opening and forced outwards creating the sphere!!

I thought everyone knew!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Its was probably a missile that broke the sound barrier and was visible because of the air density composition. Here is a video that looks almost identical: (FF 01:50)

edit on 30-6-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Looks like a pretty poor attempt at cgi.

Hahaha, wow! How quick the skepticism starts.

The Minuteman III explanation it is then. Nonetheless, thanks for the footage

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I am assuming this is not the first launch ever done? Why now would it make something appear in the sky? It creeped me out watching the video....looked like a Planet on the Horizon.
Gave me the heebie jeebies!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I'm not making any guess as to what it was but to me it seems like the point of origin is moving. Any explosion/shockwave would start at a point of origin and expand equally in all directions right? If you concentrate on the center of the sphere as it grows it appears to move upwards in relation to the stars.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join