It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Void of Somethingness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by deanGI5
You would not be able to determine if it was real or not.

Just like we can not now, technically.

The only thing we can be sure of is ourselves - "I think, therefore I am."

think about it this way -

Your whole life has been nothing but a 'dream' per say. This reply that I am currently typing to you now, is really from your subconscious, trying to get you to see that you are only dreaming and need to wake up. You have never woken up. I am only in your head. So is everything and everyone else you have ever encountered.

Your favorite songs have meaning to you because they were written by your subconscious. Your favorite movies mean so much to you for the same reason - they are really from you. from your subconscious. Every conversation you have had with anyone, was really just all in your head. You were conversing with no one other than yourself - your subconscious.

There have been many signs throughout your life that have tried to do the same thing - reveal to you that nothing you know is real. The only thing you can be sure of being real is yourself because you are self-aware.

The reason you go along with this 'dream' is because you believe that your 'reality' is real. It seems real to you because it is all that you have every known. You have known nothing else.

You can not disprove this. You can ask people if they are real, you can touch them, hurt them, get in trouble, suffer consequences, but that does not disprove this. They will tell you they are real because that is what you want to believe. You will get in trouble for doing wrong and suffer consequences because that is what you are programmed to believe in this 'dream' of yours - in this false reality.

So... Then only thing that everyone can be 100% sure of is their own existance, because they can think for themselves. They are self-aware..

Very nice thought.

I have the same ideas of subjective reality but with a nice twist.

Maybe it is like we are in a womb, a baby as it were, getting ''real information or stimuli"' from outside the womb, just as babies are very receptive to outside stimuli. Not only subconsciouss energie from the mother but energies in close proximity of the mother which are interacting with you, and you interprete these signals and paint the canvas so to speak *creatring your own reality/illusion)

So basically every illusion is based on reality and every reality based on illusion.

Maybe this is how reality is born and evolving on every level.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Passafist

Wow ... did you read my posts from this thread about "What Is Infinity?" Passafist?

One of my posts from that thread:

Start Post

AeonStorm: You suggest that infinity has a means to an end by suggesting a direction and destination where as I say that the whole thing is simply an illusion. It's real in the sense that it exists but it's an illusion none-the-less therefore it's not able to be quantified by any means. To put it simply ... I think everything is built upon an illusion therefore life in itself is an illusion.

pepsi78: It is an intresting topic, define illusion what is an illusion ? is it a trick ? it must be something. I see people calling it an illusion, that it is is not real. But even an illusion must be something.

I think of it as being both nothing and everything where all possibilities play out in a single instant and all things dwell within that instant. I guess I would define it as an immeasurable point which is why I say zero dimension. But these are just my own thoughts.

How can life be an illusion? I think perception is the answer to that. Take away all your senses and what are you left to perceive life with?

For example if you were born with no senses, from your perception, were you actually born? What would be the difference between this and death? Life is only real in the sense that we are able to perceive it and I guess in that sense we are all alive AND dead.

I always wondered if someone were born with no senses what (if anything) they would experience. I've always been fascinated by this thought.

End Post

As for the question the OP put forth "What is real?"... everything and nothing is real and an illusion... and all exist simultaneously. This is my personal thought on this subject of perception and our surroundings.

-AS-
edit on 30-6-2011 by AeonStorm because: bbcode + added

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Dude, if you want to experience this firsthand, go to a dentist that cranks up the laughing gas full blast. Everything goes pitch black and all you have is the voice in your head.

yes, I have tangled with this question since childhood myself, but its not really got far to go on it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by siren8

That is completely different than the situation the OP is talking about. Your mind is shaped by outside experiences. Therefore that voice in your head is already shaped and affected by life experience once that laughing gas kicks in.

this thread is about not having any outside influences to relate to. It would be a unique mind. Language would not exist, so what would that "voice in your head" be saying?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I urge everyone contemplating infinity to read this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have never experienced this voice in your head from N2O (laughing gas) only the whoop whoop whoop sounds that I believe is the sound of the blood moving in the ear.

I am glad the thread stayed active while I was away, interesting reading.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Well,I'm back on. What did I miss?

But anyways, as stated before. I am speaking of a unique mind. No language or anything as said before. Anyways...Any mroe tot alk about?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Have you tried a floatation tank?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Without stimuli you your mind would never mature, never learn anything. It would not have anything to reflect over at all. It would not BE ABLE to reflect, even. That is something we learn through stimuli...

That means you'd have the mind of a newborn baby floating in nothingness. Imagine that.

Eventually the mind would just float into a void.

Oh, and.. Does this mind inherit the parts that we are born with that require stimuli, the parts that cause mayhem in our mind if they don't get it?

Imagine a person locked into a pitch black cave for a while. Some people go nuts after just a few hours, cause our brain MUST have stimuli. Not just because we are used to having it, but because we must have it to even function properly. To not be sucked into our own thoughts and delusions.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kac63
reply to post by Passafist

As you would have always been in a state where you had no external stimuli there would be no longing for that which you have never had. I think, as was stated already, you would create your own reality. Perhaps even a multitude of realities.

This is the ultimate question of creation. From out of the void there came life. We are indeed the creators in this scenario, and to go even a little deeper, perhaps that is our state of being and what we perceive as reality is merely an illusion of our own creation.

How do you create a reality when you have no outside stimuli to fashion it from? How do you imagine thingsin your thoughts when you have no knowledge of actual things.
I suppose you just exist, you dont get bored because youve never known "stuff" so you dont miss it.
Im gonna s and f because that was heavy but was the first thread tonight to get my brain cells going.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join