It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape Factories (Prisons in US)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Check out this article

The U.S. Department of Justice recently released its first-ever estimate of the number of inmates who are sexually abused in America each year. According to the department’s data, which are based on nationwide surveys of prison and jail inmates as well as young people in juvenile detention centers, at least 216,600 inmates were victimized in 2008 alone. Contrary to popular belief, most of the perpetrators were not other prisoners but staff members—corrections officials whose job it is to keep inmates safe. On average, each victim was abused between three and five times over the course of the year. The vast majority were too fearful of reprisals to seek help or file a formal complaint.

Well, that's bloody disturbing. Considering how many people are in US prisons, especially for crimes like growing marijuana, I don't even know what else to say.

No wonder why the neocon government in Canada wants to invest undisclosed amounts of funding into building new supermax prisons for "unreported crimes"

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

+31 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I've been working on a thread about rape in U.S. prisons for awhile, but I keep getting too angry and worked up the more I research and put it together. I don't know if I'll ever get around to posting it. But the biggest victims are young first time offenders. Non violent criminals, such as people busted for drugs that are thrown in with much worse people.. psychopaths capable of rape. My brother's friend was raped in jail, not even prison. He was thrown in jail for being drunk in public.. he did also "resist arrest" by walking away from the officer and he was in jail for 3 days. He was a white male in his 20s which is the biggest target. The majority of rapes are black on white. Also it's disgusting to look at the STDs stats contracted by the victims.

I think there should be a mandatory death penalty for people who commit rape in prison.
edit on 6/29/2011 by Drezden because: grammar

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by iSwag
post removed by staff

Most here I expect have never had any contact with the "US Prison Industry".
"Troublemakers" actually means "too poor to hire a private attorney". Our prisons do, on occasion, house some "bad" people. Many are just poor whites, MOST are poor minorities.

edit on Wed Jun 29 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonibelle
post removed by staff

Joking about prison rape, even in a minor way like you have is part of the problem. That's why it's not taken seriously. We need to protect people FFS.. not joke.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a198737cc562.jpg[/atsimg]

I know that picture is kind of cheesy.. and I'm really harping on this issue.. but social work is my major and prison rape is something I want to spread awareness about and stop in my career.
edit on 6/29/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
I've been working on a thread about rape in U.S. prisons for awhile, but I keep getting too angry and worked up the more I research and put it together. I don't know if I'll ever get around to posting it. But the biggest victims are young first time offenders. Non violent criminals, such as people busted for drugs that are thrown in with much worse people.. psychopaths capable of rape. My brother's friend was raped in jail, not even prison. He was thrown in jail for being drunk in public.. he did also "resist arrest" by walking away from the officer and he was in jail for 3 days. He was a white male in his 20s which is the biggest target. The majority of rapes are black on white. Also it's disgusting to look at the STDs stats contracted by the victims.

I think there should be a mandatory death penalty for people who commit rape in prison.
edit on 6/29/2011 by Drezden because: grammar

I know CO's who joke about housing inmates together because they KNOW one will be raped...mandatory death penalty for those CO's?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Joking about prison rape, even in a minor way like you have is part of the problem. That's why it's not taken seriously. We need to protect people FFS.. not joke.

I'm joking about it because that's what's gonna keep me out of prison...

Not tryna have Big Bubba corner me in my cell and have you-know-what happen to me.
edit on Wed Jun 29 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: BIG QUOTE REMOVED

+27 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Reply to post by iSwag

Whether or not you end up in jail or prison is not entirely within your control.

Keep that in mind.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

[

I know, it was inappropriate, but I couldn't help myself.
And jokes aren't why the issue isn't taken seriously. It's the fact that it's PRISON.
You know those big places surrounded by electric fences with "top notch" security 24/7. The place designed to keep vile humans out of our society, are kept? I don't think doing time means you should get raped, but no one feels bad for a bad guy =/
edit on 29-6-2011 by jonibelle because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jun 29 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: BIG QUOTE REMOVED

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Oops thought a person needed to be of age to watch that Jail interview about the guy talking about tossing the salad.
That video really gave me a vivid picture of how bad jails can really be,hell on earth for real!
Sorry for the violation.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by iSwag

Whether or not you end up in jail or prison is not entirely within your control.

Keep that in mind.

It's totally under my control. It's me who makes the decisions, inevitably choosing where I will go in my life....

Therefore I avoid those decisions that risk my freedom.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the report, but I have yet to find that 216,000 plus figure.

bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Good find. the sickest part is to think that is just one year and defiantly not all of them. The fact of the matter is we need to separate our penal system into classes of severity. Pot smokers, growers and drug addicts in general should not be locked up with murderers and rapists.

+28 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Reply to post by iSwag

That's a very naive view of the world you live in.

Everyday people are hauled off and locked up for committing absolutely no crime whatsoever.

And it is t even just poor people in the ghetto. Not long ago a city mayor had SWAT kick in his door and kill his dogs and haul him and his wife away because of a wrong address.

The line between your stable life and complete life destruction is paper thin and it can be torn through at any moment for any reason.

You never have to commit a crime to be raped in prison.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonibelle

I know, it was inappropriate, but I couldn't help myself.
And jokes aren't why the issue isn't taken seriously. It's the fact that it's PRISON.
You know those big places surrounded by electric fences with "top notch" security 24/7. The place designed to keep vile humans out of our society, are kept? I don't think doing time means you should get raped, but no one feels bad for a bad guy =/

Edit: Sorry if I misunderstood your post

Your ignorance is absolutely disgusting. God forbid you are put in jail for driving your car into a kid on a bicycle because you were texting. Or if you were drunk in public, or you couldn't pay your debts or child support. Or if you got caught with pot.

The people who get raped are not "vile" or "bad guys" as you say. The people being raped are non-violent criminals, first time offenders, juvenile offenders placed with adults.

There was a kid who was put in jail with adults because he set a trash can on fire. He was raped by multiple men multiple times and he ended up committing suicide because the guards didn't care to stop it. The prison psychologist even joked that "he probably likes it" when the prison social worker tried to get the problem dealt with.

The "vile" and "bad guys" are the ones who are doing the raping.

There is another man who was put in jail for protesting in Washington D.C. on the White House property, he was raped by multiple men and contracted HIV from those rapes.

Google Stephen Donaldson (the man who got HIV from being raped in a D.C. jail for a peaceful quaker protest on the white house grounds)

Your ignorance ... disgusting.

This is the video about the teenager who committed suicide over being raped. If this doesn't change your views then you are hopeless:

edit on 6/29/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Not to derail the thread, but I find it ultimately disturbing that the whole baggy pants/underwear showing style glorifies prison sex/rape. People know where this style originated from and I find it insane how it just won't die!

Something's really wrong and I'm not even sure if I want to get to the bottom of it.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Even if you have committed a crime and are found guilty, your sentence is your punishment. Not being raped or molested by other prisoners and in this case the screws themselves.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I would like a show of hands...how many members have actually been in prison? I am just curious because it seems like that would sway a lot of how you might feel about prison rape and the goings on inside the walls of a prison...like the above poster pointed out...do marijuana offenders really belong in prison and even if they did should they be housed with violent offenders?

I personally have done 13+ years behind the walls...a small stretch compared to life...a long stretch compared to the guy that just got sentenced to 3 years...it falls in the middle according to most prison standards and inmate protocols.

So we are talking about prison rape...well we can certainly say it happens and feel comfortable with that. We can probably all agree it happens more than we know about...and we might be able to agree that it should not happen at all (although even I will agree that child molesters and rapists themselves should be shown little mercy and for the most part they are not shown any at all).

Does prison breed rape...absolutely...breed murder...absolutely...and so it has for centuries. Nothing new and the only new factor to add to the equation is how society feels about it now. Is society sympathetic? No...not for the most part...just convicted criminals...thats all part of the punishment. Are things changing? Yes...the introduction of the PREA system or Prison Rape Elimination Act has helped but like every other thing in prison...there is a way around that too.

It will be interesting to watch this thread unfold and see where everyone stands on an issue like this...I imagine some will joke, some will not care, some will sympathize with the prisoners, some will be undecided, etc...I am going to just enjoy seeing what our society thinks about it before I lend my two cents on the issue...living it and talking about it seem to be very separate issues.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join