It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me a good reason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I want a real good reason why I should hoard supplies. Give me credible links and authorities that show that we are heading for bad times.I am all ears. if you make a good argument i will retract my statement that survivalist are nutsos for thinking that they will have to leave town to escape situation X.

I know about the grasshopper/ ant debate. the difference is that the ant KNOWS that winter is coming survivalists only theorize and believe.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

We are heading into hurricane season.. Better to be prepared than not..nuff said

ETA It could especially become dangerous with all the flooding that is already happening
edit on 29-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
I want a real good reason why I should hoard supplies. Give me credible links and authorities that show that we are heading for bad times.I am all ears. if you make a good argument i will retract my statement that survivalist are nutsos for thinking that they will have to leave town to escape situation X.

I know about the grasshopper/ ant debate. the difference is that the ant KNOWS that winter is coming survivalists only theorize and believe.

Not sure why you need a reason. Surely if you want to do it then do it, if not sit it out and hope for the best. I doubt whether you will find the proof you are looking for by getting a few links. You have to decide for yourself.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
if you need to be spoon fed the info that you need to stock up to survive...i don't think you're meant to survive! survival is an instinct...not an acquired sense. if you don't think you need to be getting ready...well then...you shouldn't get ready. it's called the process of natural selection.

i'm not gonna give you all the links and all the stories and all the guides. honestly...i don't want people to survive that have to be told how to survive. means they will probably be unable to add to the greater good after TSHTF.

maybe we're the ants and y'all are the grasshoppers! maybe we know it and you don't. do the ants warn the grasshoppers that the winter is coming? no...they let them die.

so yeah...if you don't think you need to be stocking up...please...don't! seriously...please don't. i stopped trying to warn people months ago. at this point...if they don't have the survival instinct it's a waste of my time. i can't make anyone survive. so yeah...please...don't stock up. everything is fine!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Who really wants to be the last person alive though? If SHTF, I wanna go with it, not live in a shelter eating MRI's for 6 more months by myself to find my inevitable death. Live your life now for what it is, not a life of fear forever for what might happen.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hoarding supplies is not necessary in my opinion but being prepared for a disaster that is specific to you location is. A plan of where to go if this disaster hits as well as a way to get there should always be known to you. If you live near an ocean and are prone to earthquakes no where the closest high ground is.

Always have a first aid kit handy, flashlights, you know common sense stuff.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Give me a reason why, here in the land of Earthquakes, I may want to help feed you or your family if what I consider a worse case scenario occurs?
That's my knee jerk reaction, you did expect one didn't you?

I prepare because I like being self sufficient. I honestly don't expect a disaster that requires the many skills I loved learning. I'll never regret time spent learning skills beyond "reporting for work, paying taxes, shopping at a grocery stores and changing TV channels".

Each to his own. I don't give a rip if you prepare for anything ever. I'd be surprised if you ever need to. I'll always teach my family survival skills...thinking outside of the box helps one stay outside the box.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The good reason would be: It never hurts to be prepared of an unforeseen event that could cause a temporary disruption in your standard of living for a few days, or weeks. The Japanese didn't anticipate the earthquake that came, nor did the folks in NO anticipate the flooding , nor did the survivors of many other events.

Having a fresh supply of water, a gas fired cooking stove, and some food items for a couple of weeks, just makes good sense. It doesn't cost much, and could come in handy. I remember several years ago Quebec had and ice storm that cut off power for weeks in some areas. I would imagine the people that had stocked up on food and water weathered the conditions better.

Now, as far as Zombies attacking or an Asteroid destroying civilization as we know it, I see you point. Unless you took a survivalist course and could live on eating bugs, you are probably doomed in any event.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
That FEMA, has a hard time granting help for certain places thus cannot help some people also that they are asking people to pay money back for trailers(has been posted on ATS already). Do you live in tornado alley, the hurricane belt, etc, or have even witnessed the weather news lately? To dismiss one group as crazy, when you do not know each person's situation, is a bit crazy in itself, no? In conclusion if you don't help yourself by stocking supplies, buying homeowners insurance, etc., who will?

NASA posts have came out recently about being prepared, as well as other agencies. Not even to mention all of the other topics on the fall of the global economy, for example. Better safe than sorry.
ATS searches are your friend

edit on 29-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There is absolutely no reason you should "hoard" supplies.

Make no plans and just live life day to day..

Also......

Get rid of any smoke alarms & fire extinguishers in your house, don't have any type of medical or car insurance and take the spare tire out of your car....you'll never need any of it.

When your all done with all that, go stick your head back in the sand.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I live in the upper Midwest; tornadoes, flooding and thunderstorms. Power outages from thunderstorms/lightening storms. In the winter, sometimes the roads don't get plowed right away and you can't get into town- nice to have food stored up. Biggest reason to your question of, "Give me a good reason" is COMMON SENSE.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
You should not hoard anything but rather put aside what you need to survive a given disaster that "could", "would", and "should" happen in your local vicinity. If you live on the coast consider those elements, if you live in the city consider how best you can accommodate you and your own.

Other than that I cannot imagine why you would need a reason not to be smart because you are posting on ATS so that means you are of a partial intelligence already.

Go ahead and take the plunge and prepare for you own sake; if that isn't reason enough then you are just trolling for others to administer some kind of attention to you and that only goes so far!

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Common Sense is the only and intelligent reason OP
Its always better to be prepared and safe than sorry, otherwise you just become another mouth to feed and statistic.
unless you have Superior survival skills in "reality" and have the ability to adapt and overcome you aren't going to make it if you're not fully prepared on many levels.

whats funny is your OP. that within itself says it all
........VICTIM

edit on 29-6-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mathematic
Who really wants to be the last person alive though? If SHTF, I wanna go with it, not live in a shelter eating MRI's for 6 more months by myself to find my inevitable death. Live your life now for what it is, not a life of fear forever for what might happen.
In that case all the ammo you need to stock up on is one bullet .
However keep enough supplys so you can make it through natural disasters .be like a Boy Scout.Be Prepaired

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by pellian

I dont know that you need to HOARD per say, but having a contingency plane cant hurt anyone.

I live in New Orleans, so I naturally have 2 weeks worth of water and food as a simple, just in case I have to leave town. So, the scenario you speak does happen. Does it happen often, there seems to be more and more things going on from the tornados to flooding and you can toss the fires out in the west.

I have never been in a car wreck in my entire life, but I carry full coverage on my vehicle. It is of course mandatory to caryy insurance in the US, but I dont have to carry full coverage.

Some people do take it to an extreme, for me. I want to live a more simple life. I spent a lot of time on family farms between the age of 0 and 24. Thngs were...less complicated on the farm. I make 80k a year and the amount of time and effort it takes to make that kind of money is not worth it to me.

I grow my own fruits a veggies, collect rain water and I am looking to install solar. For me, it is not as much about survival as it lowering to impact the grid has me. Along the way I am learning more about survival in case I have to use it.

top topics

join