It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever sat down beside a homeless person just to chat?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have a "adopted tramp" who i spot a coffee and bacon and egg eroll each morning. He is a little whiffy, I dont care for his opinion on Ufos etc, but I figure he is just a guy that needs a meal, why not give him one

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yep, befriended a guy named guy, we both were on boats, his just bobbed. The keys are not friendly to boaters unless you are wealthy and can afford marina's. Guy showed us the ropes of being a street person, how to get back to the shore when the gates went up and to our dinghy, etc.

In the end, he saved our lives. The local drug group was going to take us out one night, thinking we were rich as our boat was nice, I built it. I thanked Guy, bought him some beer and a burger and left right away. I don't think he kept the burger but liked the beer.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Thank you, Kind sir, ( I say Sir. If you are a Ma'am, I do apologize)

I have not helped out with the homeless quite as much as you, but over the years I have talked to quite a few. For various reasons. Some asking for change, some asking for food, Some just wanting to talk, Some waiting at a bus stop. Some for legal reasons and some for illegal reasons..... All kinds of reasons, good or bad.

But that has only showed me, Homeless people are not homeless people. They are people who have lost their way. For what ever reason, they wound up on the street, in need of help. It could truly happen to any of us, at any time.

I see so many, look at a homeless person. They get scared, they get confused, they get grossed out.... But why? They are not wild animals. They are no more dangerous than your coworkers or your family.

In fact, I bet you that you are more likely to be harmed by a close family member or friend, than by a homeless person.

So, stop being afraid. They are just people.

And if you think about it, all people on earth are related... Maybe very distantly, but it is true that the whole of the human species, is one giant family.

So, think about your mom or dad, your brother or sister. What if they were homeless? Would you not want to help them?

Well, your brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins are out there. HELP!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

I'm guessing you have not spent much time around bums/homeless people. Of course, they will catch your eye and give you a wave or speak first. They have to. That is the way to make a connection, not just contact. They depend upon those connections for ....well, whatever they can gain from it.

It's the same gimmick as those that haul around a dog.

I'll bet your broke the connection he made by paying him off, giving him some money. Oops! Wrong, I* went back to read the tailend of your wonderful story. Instead, you made him a promise to feed him tomorrow. Be sure and tell us if you followed through on that promise to your new friend.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

To answer your thread title, "Have you ever sat down beside a homeless person just to chat?" Yes, I even offered him a job and let him live on my property and invited him to my family home for Thanksgiving dinner. And yes, he told stories to be sure, but those stories were beside the point, he was a person in need.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TSearchX

screw society

people suck or they dont its either or..socio-economic situations dont make you who you are ..you chose to be who you are ...

edit on 30-6-2011 by sol420 because: spellertron

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
We have a homeless vet that lives in a tent in the woods close to here. I stop and talk with Steve all the time. He's been here for a couple years now. I've bought him food and clothes, and I give him a few bucks when I see him, sometimes $20. He always reintroduces himself as though he's never seen me before, but I've talked with him 20 times or more, so his memory must be pretty bad, but he's as sweet and kind as anyone I've known and is always SO appreciative. Our neighborhood works together to make sure he has everything he needs and can keep warm in the winter. One guy even got Steve a wheelchair from the VA...

I stopped yesterday and talked with a homeless girl with 3 dogs and gave her a few bucks.

So, yeah, these are just people who need everything we all need. I was homeless for a time in my youth, so yeah, homeless people are just people without homes.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join