It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons To Be Learned -- Greece and the West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So we have now seen the second bailout of Greece voted on by their globalist government, a vote that completely goes against the wishes of most Greek citizens. It is now more than ever clear in my eyes that our governments are working against us and not for us.

BBC - Greek Crisis Coverage

What is important now is the lessons we should be learning by watching Greece. The language used by Euro-bankers and EU politicians is mirror image of what we see here in the west in our own politicians. Their constant need for "growth" (Read: Spending and borrowing) is sickening at best.

The debt problem of Greece is compounded by the fact that a good part of the government debt is held by foreign institutions, particularly foreign banks. It is estimated that 106 billion of government bonds may be held by foreign banks.

One lesson to learn is to keep the bonds in the country and not allow foreign banks to hold more than a total of 10% of those bonds. Greeks should own Greece, end of story.

So lets hear the ATS input, what other lessons do people in western countries need to master in order to help themselves rather than international robber barons?

-Lightrule

edit on 29-6-2011 by Lightrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
But thats how it works, investors all over the world buy bonds which governments sell in order to raise capital.
One cannot state that those bonds should stay inside the borders.
The growth they so desperately want is GDP, the more money flows round, the more revenue it generates, revenue that is needed for their budget.
Governments spend money and if the revenue is insufficient, they will have a deficit, if the revenue is enough or more than enough, a sound budget, or even a surplus which can be used for reducing state debt, or lower taxes ect.
If money is needed, (running a deficit) they raise capital to close the gap on their budget.
The real lesson is that we cannot continue to spend more money than we earn, also that cheap money (low or no interest) creates bubbles that will burst.
We have seen that in the last decade, in housing.
Another thing to learn is that bankers are sharks who sell products that will benefit them and not us.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
All I've learned so far is that my republican friends think everyone in Greece is lazy and no good and that everything is their fault for riding the dole.

Like my friends work hard. lol It's really crazy, they don't do jack but work 9-5 and eat out all the time.

new topics

join