It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Israeli algorithm sheds light on the Bible

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Was not the original written in Aramaic, then translated and rewritten in Hebrew, then translated and rewritten in Latin, then translated and rewritten in Greek, and finally translated and rewritten in English...

. . .

No. The Torah, as well as most of teh Tanakh was written in Hebrew. A few books (Ezra and Daniel) have chapters in Aramaic. Daniel was written during captivity, and Ezra was immediately after.

There is linguistic evidence to suggest that the Greek version of the New Testament is also translated from Hebrew and Aramaic, but if it was than the original texts are lost to posterity, and the Greek is to be considered more authentic.

As with anything else, you lose things in translation, and I do agree about the whisper game.

That is why I prefer to try and understand the texts in their original languages.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

when applied to the Bible

Which bible? There are about 300 different versions. Until we get our hands on the original gospels that the Vatican is hiding because it is the truth and they want to continue their scam, this is all bollocks.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Throws sola scriptura out the window then.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I was referring to the replies to the OP, they seemed to view this as evidence that God does not exist. I always thought people merely prayed for God to guide their hand, and that the stories which came out presented a moral or spiritual point relevant to the time they were living in, for example Job was written during the period of the Babylonian exile of the jews, if I am not mistaken, in hopes of motivating the people not to lose their faith in the face of such hardships.

You are absolutly correct, there is nothing in the article that even attempts to say God does not exist, however the first few replies insisted that multiple authors disproved God.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

There are about 300 different versions.

Different translations do not amount to a different "version" of the Bible.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Was not the original written in Aramaic, then translated and rewritten in Hebrew, then translated and rewritten in Latin, then translated and rewritten in Greek, and finally translated and rewritten in English...

No. That's a common misunderstanding of Bible translation.

The bulk of the OT was written in Hebrew. There are parts that were written in Aramaic. The NT was written in Koine Greek. Whenever there is a translation of the texts, they're done from these languages. So, when I look over here at my Bible, I know it is based off of a Greek and Hebrew text, not a Latin translation that is based on a Greek translation and so on.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
LOL what a WASTE of research. Of course, done in Israel. Do you feel more secure about your religion, "Christian" Americans?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
People need to remember that the bible is made up of books that were chosen in a roman senate and any other books written around that time were banned and demmed heretical, so really the bible is made up of only the stuff the church wanted you to hear and nothing else!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

There are about 300 different versions.

Different translations do not amount to a different "version" of the Bible.

No there are different english versions. Also their are a whole lot of missing gospels that tell about the teachings of jesus.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
From what I learned in Catholic school, there are different rabbinical viewpoints and authors within the book of genesis, amongst others. Elohim, Yahweh, Priestly and something else. As far as I know, this is nothing new, other than an analyzation of the different authors. How does this disprove God? Is God not allowed to speak through multiple people? Why are so many people so eager to mock religious belief that they post something that has been well known for centuries as so called proof that God does not exist?
edit on 29-6-2011 by steppenwolf86 because: (no reason given)

I am not trying to be a pain here, but.... Let's say I was like all powerful and I could take over people minds and talk/write "through them." Now if I could do that, it would always be ME doing the talking, the style wouldn't change, it would not be the people I took over doing the mental formulation and structuring of communication. So, if we are to believe that God "wrote" the bible, then we must believe that He has some kind of multiple personality disorder. This isn't to say that I don't believe the bible was inspired by the creator, cosmic muffin, spaghetti monster, etc., however, I do believe the original teachings have been corrupted by people with an agenda, eg mainstream religions, ALL OF THEM. I don't care if you're catholic, muslim, protestant, mormon, etc... these days and maybe for the last thousand years or more, what may have been a beautiful written account of history is now a programming tool. Everyone's got an agenda who promotes their version of "salvation."

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/29.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: oops

It was explained it was not dictation, but inspired writing. God Inspired them to write the words and they did so in their own unique way, in a way they understood. Why is this simple point that's already been written easily missed?

Irrational thoughts stem from emotions taking control of your logic, making a response seem like an attack and mostly, most times, makes little sense or misses key points. Rational discussions are much more fruitful.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
So people are waking up to the two groups who compiled the Octateuch? (first eight books) ...Great! Wake up then!

But I will simplify it for you:

Group A (Jahvists) loves men, hates women.
Group B (Elhoists) loves women, and men who love them.

Groups A and B, each have their priests. Group A, homo women-haters, rule the world today. Group B, female lovers, are Moses' original people (See Amarna princesses). Group A, hated Moses, hated Nefertiti, hated Meritaten, hated the women of Peor, etc. Group A has usurped the Bible, the Sun Symbol of Amarna (Jesuits are women haters yet use the Aten as their symbol). Group B exists underground, and will be taking over power shortly. Group A will be weeping, gnashing teeth, still hating females and sex, etc. They are essentially lost in man-worship, like a totem pole without it's corollary, the lodge.

Anyway, as I browsed, I noticed another telling paper from this "Moshe Koppel" dude, something that is way more important along these lines...

u.cs.biu.ac.il...

S. Argamon, M. Koppel, J. Pennebaker and J. Schler (2009), Automatically Profiling the Author of an Anonymous TextAutomatically Profiling the Author of an Anonymous Text, Communications of the ACM , 52 (2): 119-123 (virtual extension).

www.cs.biu.ac.il...

Step one: Find anon
Step two: Label/prosecute anon (anti-semite?)
Step three: State of Israel Compudorks FTW

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Ok, a short response, since I honestly think getting involved with online debates is akin to beating your head against a concrete wall.

Anyway, the Bible as we have it today is comprised 66 books, 39 OT and 27 NT, with a minimum of 40 authors. As noted there are a significant number of extant manuscripts (Gospel of Thomas, etc.) that were not included in the Canon.

The Catholic Bible in general contains the Apocrypha, a series of histories that span the 400 year gap between Malaci and Matthew, whereas the Protestant Bible does not. Without going into a long, drawn out dissertation on these extant, non-canonical documents I have to say that the various ones that I've read lend reasonable credence to their exclusion -- the reasons are various and many, just not the time or place to take up that particular battle.

Regarding the various authors apparently "revealed" in the software program, this is a non-issue. For example the Torah referred to as the Pentateuch ("Five Books") by Christians, comprised of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy and attributed in general to Moses have typically been understood to have been a "compilation of texts" attributed to Moses. Some portions were written by him, while some by others including Joshua (It would have been a little difficult for Moses to describe how the children of Israel mourned for thirty days over his death if he was dead). The inspiration came not only in authorship, but also selection and inclusion.

Now a word regarding inspiration. I really think a lot of folks get confused on this point. Inspiration is not possession. It's not "auto-writing" in some kind of trance induced state. It's what it is - inspired. Through the individuals personality, circumstances, era and events they are "inspired of God" to record these events, ideas and doctrine in their own words, using their level of knowledge and style of that particular individual. Some people have difficulty with this, but my personal take is that if I can buy into an eternally existent being, uncreated and unchanging, who called all the universe into existence by mere will, I can probably accept the basic concept of inspiration of the original autographs, and preservation of core doctrines throughout the years.

I expect the Apostle Paul to write like the Apostle Paul, and John the Beloved to write like John the Beloved. But with that said, I also understand that certain portions are in question regarding who was original author (the woman taken in adultery in Johns Gospel, the end of Mark chapter 16, who exactly wrote the book of Hebrews, etc.) and inclusion.

Are there other documents that should have been included? Perhaps, but at least from my own experience and study, all that is necessary for life, and an abundant one at that, has been included. The sovereign nature of God, the fallen state of man and the gulf resolved, if you get something else, you're reading it wrong. But even something as simple as that inspires animosity in our broken state, ignites fires of anger and rejection that blinds us to that simple truth.

But honestly I would not expect otherwise, you see it in the conflicts with the Pharisees and Scribes when statements are made that challenge their self-righteousness and it hits just a little too close to home. We became broken, we were fixed, but that grates at our pride a bit and it doesn't sit well with us. Oh, well...as the author of Ecclesiates writes, "That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun."
edit on 30-6-2011 by quadagent because: a particularly poor sentence

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by quadagent

Well said quadagent. There is nothing new here that has not been known since forever. People will grasp at anything if they think it backs up their point of view. On either side.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The guy is lying as to how effective it is. He is biased.

This discussion has been going on since Wellhausen and before. It's like saying "Oh! We realize now the bible has two of every story, but no worries, we Judean Compudorks have resolve the matter!"

No, you have not resolved the matter, you are leaping out front, with rush to conclusion. I cannot wait until all of this goes mainstream but even then, the typical Jesus-tard of today has no knowledge of the bible's origin being Amarna. They don't see Eden as Amarna, which is clearly is. There was no Hebrew language before Akhenaten's "heresy" and these Judeans have hidden Akhenaten for thousands of years and now they are trying to frame up ROUND 2 for the battle for the Aten.

ROUND 1 of the battle for the Aten, was Hitler versus Russia, or more correctly Vienna Jew versus Peasant Jew. As you may recall, Freud wrote about Moses having lived in Amarna, he wrote that in 1936 and the rebbis BEGGED him not to reveal this. Also please note Savati what's her name, who wrote worshipful texts of Hitler, likened him to Akhenaten. NOTE ALSO PLEASE that that forces behind Hitler the self-hating Jew, were the Jesuits (Himmler, Eichmann, whatshisname the tall guy Heidrich??) and these are the same people who hold Akhenaten's Grampa's Obelisk (the lateran obelisk in front of Pope House). You see the struggle? The woman haters of Jahveh crave the Aten, they have the pre-Aten obelisk, they use the Aten as their symbol (Jesuit sun). And yet, the Amarna princesses had lots of babies and we will soon hear more about the female bloodlines. No rush, real truth won't come from Israel or any rabbi.

news.yahoo.com...

When the new software was run on the Pentateuch, it found the same division, separating the "priestly" and "non-priestly." It matched up with the traditional academic division at a rate of 90 percent — effectively recreating years of work by multiple scholars in minutes, said Moshe Koppel of Bar Ilan University near Tel Aviv, the computer science professor who headed the research team.

QUESTION: What is the "traditional academic division"? Haha, these Judeans are most notorious for vehemently disagreeing with each other, as is their way. Who's the posek of Israel who said that all those Russian Jews incarnated to become firewood for Hitler so that they could process their bad karma? I am not kidding here, the famous posek Yahuda or what's his name, said this. Therefore, since their own group is so utterly stupid and destroyed from within, then we cannot trust their analysis.

This will not stop them from moving ahead, however, for how does one reason with a blind and insane man? Really, it can't be done, such a man has to gain control over himself and realize his blind and clueless state.
edit on 30-6-2011 by smallpeeps because: splng

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT

Originally posted by meathed
reply to post by EthanT

Big deal.
It might be a story if the bible wasn't a work of fiction.
So all i get from this story is that Israel has invented another lie to back up their biblical lie

wow, some folks sure are biased.

Could have been a story, IF it wasn't about the Bible ... lame. What does it matter?

Back up a lie? If anything, this will probably frustrate a lot of people who say it was "written by God", because it shows it was written by many hands over time.

edit on 29-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

Who said the biblical scriptures were written by God?

They where inspired by God.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

No there are different english versions. Also their are a whole lot of missing gospels that tell about the teachings of jesus.

They've been found and are called the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hamadi Library ;-)

Read them and you'll get an idea why those teachings were not included in the Bible. They say things like the Kingdom of Heaven is inside you. If it is, what the heck do you need a Church for!?

I like the Gospel of St Thomas, myself. Some of the sayings are very Zen.

Anyhow, none of this really invalidates the Bible, either. It just provides a deeper and more profound view on Christ, and gives a better view of what early Christianity was like.

edit on 30-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here ia a very good article explaining how Isaiah was actually 3 different authors instead of one

Book of Isaiah

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT

How would this prove, in any way, that God does not exist?

"God" was a new English word created 401 years ago by King James, in 1610.
In 1609 English speaking people were calling their deity something else.
Scripture states the deity ORDERED to be called YHWH.

Therefor "GOD" doesn't exist. Did you know in King James Speech to Parliament after he created this new word "God"....he stated HE is a GOD and everyone needed to worship him as well.

And even today mentally challenged still pray to "God". Christians...not exactly the sharpest pencils in the box.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

i think you're right about history. they keep finding different locations that have been mentioned in the Bible.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
From what I learned in Catholic school...

I am not trying to be a pain here, but.... Let's say I was like all powerful and I could take over people minds and talk/write "through them."

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/29.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: oops

Yeah but that is not how it actually works. Let's say you and your friends meet me and I am an awesome guy. I do all these cool tricks like turning PBR into an awesome Lager. I tell you some of my thoughts on life and how it should be.

Now, you and your friends are so struck with how cool I am that each of you go onto your favorite forum and post about our encounter. I have inspired all of you, and all of you write basically the same thing but in different ways because you all have different levels of talent and experiences to draw upon. And sure, you add your own points and how it relates to what is going on in your lives right now.

That is the way we Catholics understand it. It's not so much a dictation as an inspiration.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join