It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea shuts down universities for 10 months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

North Korea shuts down universities for 10 months

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/8602525/North-Korea-shuts-down-universities-for-10-months.html[/url]

Pyongyang has told the North Korean people that the nation will have achieved its aim of becoming "a great, prosperous and powerful nation" in 2012, which marks the 100th anniversary of the founder of the reclusive state, Kim Il-sung.

In addition, Kim Jong-il will turn 70 in February and the "Dear Leader" hopes to be able to transfer his power and an economically stronger nation to his son and heir-apparent, Kim Jong-Un.

Reports in South Korea indicated that the government in Pyongyang on Monday ordered all universities to cancel classes until April of next year. The only exemptions
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29-6-2011 by deltaboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Analysts in Japan claim there may be other reasons behind the decision to disperse the students across the country.

"The leadership has seen the 'Jasmine Revolution' in Africa and it is very frightened that the same thing could happen in North Korea," he said. "They fear it could start in the universities."

Professor Shigemura also said that North Korea has purchased anti-riot equipment from China in recent months, including tear gas and batons, while there has been an increased police presence at key points in Pyongyang in recent months.

Wow they shutting down schools until next April. To prevent protests? To prepare them for war? Its 2012 the same year that people claims it will be the end of the world or more specifically the end of humanity!

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/8602525/North-Korea-shuts-down-universities-for-10-months.html]www.telegraph.co.uk[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Nope, probably just a government keeping its people dumb, naive and uneducated.
The devil likes them young n' stupid!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Dude if you notice many people who initiate the Arab Spring are in College. So I wouldn't be surprise if North Korea is trying to prevent a similar situation.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Absolutely an obvious attempt to quell potential unrest from the youth of that country. While I certainly don't support it you have to hand to KJI - he and his cronies are well ahead of the curve here and are obviously anticipating any and all challenges to his authoritarian rule in NK.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

So why would they have higher education centers if it.was.true.they just wanted to keep the population dumb.

Also, it looks like KJI may be the patent holder on those ridiculous HD glasses, Haha, he's been wearing them for.years.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
With school out disappearances of trouble makers or "potential" trouble makers will go unnoticed. So sad the world lets this decades long tragedy continue.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Pol Pot much? keep the educated dumbed down in order to establish control and loyalty, anyone that is found to be educating themselves will be instantly incarcerated or worst.

Pol Pot

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
reply to post by Heartisblack

So why would they have higher education centers if it.was.true.they just wanted to keep the population dumb.

Also, it looks like KJI may be the patent holder on those ridiculous HD glasses, Haha, he's been wearing them for.years.

It's not from keeping people dumb. Not that their higher education centers are churning out Einsteins. Suspending higher education would negate the artist's brush symbolism in the whole Juche idealogy for one.

I'd fall into the camp that's saying preperation for protest. Especially with the news of the purchasing of riot equipment. Not to mention the potential famine they are currently facing. Perhaps they are anticipating civil unrest due to lack of food rations? Would there being anything else in the World that the average North Korean would be willing to risk his life to protest over othan than food and starving to death?
Might as well add that I don't believe all of those extra students working in the fields is going to hedge off this famine one bit.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Man why do crazy leaders wear cool shades, gadhaffi and kim jong il. Actually gadhaffi is not crazy, it seems anyone the US wants to fight is always sporting a cool set of shades.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Closing schools for the youth may also be a sign of conscription, and with no one checking into school it would be easy to eliminate those who chose not to conscribe.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Very interesting. S & F to the OP -- this is exactly the kind of news item I depend on ATS to bring to my attention. In my own search for truth out there, I find great clues can be found in what completely different geopolitical and culturally influenced entities are saying and doing. I agree with the other replies that concern with "Arab Spring" style revolts is one possibility.

Their possible concern about greatly increased famine reactions is also potentially telling - depending on the basis for their concerns. It could be a concern about the transition of power to the son - I thought the framing of the university closings with achievement of goals set out by the "first father" a century ago smacked a little of political endgamesmanship for setting the stage for KJI's retirement. I am a little concerned about what, in the power transfer scenario, the younger dictator-to-be may be planning and preparing for. There are many who believe that when a new leader steps into a non-democratic leadership role (think of a new boss, for example) that this individual should exercise their "power" quickly, directly and unmistakably to demonstrate their dominance. I, for one, will be watching closely what develops with hope that it is KJI's paranoia, and not worse traits, that are driving these actions.

I remember a few months ago I read about KJI traveling quietly to China for face-to-face meetings - and us ATS folk wondering what was on the discussion table. Any connectivity to this announcement?

new topics

top topics

join