It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC News: Hacker attack cripples al-Qaida web communications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

NBC News: Hacker attack cripples al-Qaida web communications

www.msnbc.msn.com

"Al-Qaida's online communications have been temporarily crippled, and it does not have a single trusted distribution channel available on the Internet," said Evan Kohlmann, of Flashpoint Global Partners, which monitors the group's communications.

The attack was carried out within the past few days by unknown hackers targeting al-Qaida's Internet communications systems. It was "well coordinated and involved the use of an unusual cocktail of relatively sophisticated techniques,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Oh what i would give to be allowed to have a poll just about now, so lets do this the old school way.

Type the number that you believe is responsible for this unusual attack and obviously a remark as to why you chose it.

1) FBI
2) CIA
3) NSA
4) ANON
5) ALL OF THE ABOVE
6) Rogue Hackers
7) Aliens

www.msnbc.msn.com (visit the link for the full news article)

Mission accomplished and suddenly all high profiled web attacks have instantly gone into hibernation.
edit on 29-6-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
as you all are reading through the link you will find the very funny piece of information within the link.

British intelligence officers based at the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), the state eavesdropping service, attacked the 67-page magazine, leaving most of it garbled, British newspapers said.

Instead of being able to read how to "Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom," readers were greeted with computer code which actually contained recipes from The Best Cupcakes in America, published by U.S. chat show host Ellen DeGeneres.

The Washington Post reported that the British action followed a dispute between the CIA and the newly formed U.S. Cyber Command.

The cyber unit had wanted to block the al Qaeda magazine but the CIA, which had countered such an attack would expose sources and intelligence methods, won the debate and declined to allow an attack on Inspire.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Fun Fun Fun...well at-least they now know how to bake cup cakes, although i prefer my cakes from amsterdam.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My guess is that it was a permanent arm of a government organization, rather than civilian hackers. I think the infiltration was conducted by a technical branch of the CIA, some group composed of computer genius', a very small percentage of them being self-taught, who learned there skills in the virtual world, as opposed to the majority of the team who's basic skill set was learned through training, some in college and some through "government only" programs.

This is NOT the same scale of attack that was conducted by the British, who only changed content on their website, which leads me to believe it was not them this time. That "attack" was also a year ago.
edit on 6/29/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
My guess is that it was a permanent arm of a government organization, rather than civilian hackers. I think the infiltration was conducted by a technical branch of the CIA, some group composed of computer genius', a very small percentage of them being self-taught, who learned there skills in the virtual world, as opposed to the majority of the team who's basic skill set was learned through training, some in college and some through "government only" programs.

This is NOT the same scale of attack that was conducted by the British, who only changed content on their website, which leads me to believe it was not them this time. That "attack" was also a year ago.
edit on 6/29/11 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

Well i choose number " 5 " for obvious reasons, but i am surprised that this hadn't happened earlier, but hey they also need some RR in these wild times, what with anon and lulz on the loose.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
al-Qaida doesn't even exist, heck when i was in cuba this summer, cubans dont even seem to fear al-Qaida much

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Al-Qaida has ALWAYS been a CIA asset. There's plenty of historical footage 20/20, 60 minutes etc. documenting the history of this group.

If it wasn't this would have happened long, long ago.

Not my favorite conspiracist but he gives an accurate, brief account of the founding of Al-Qaida. All this Al-Qaida info is on MSM like 60 minutes it's documented history.

I bet those people on your list are as surprised as you are.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Wow. The CIA must really be pissed off their little pet terrorists got haxxored.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I'm sure it was civilian hackers that the CIA snagged in their "work for us or go to prison " program.

new topics

top topics

join