It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Cancels California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Amazon Cancels California

www.ronpauldonate.org

Amazon Cancels California Residents...

This is a potentially huge deal affecting all California residents that are enrolled in the Amazon affiliates network or the Amazon Associate Partnership Program. It also affects retailers like Amazon, Ebay...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
digg.com

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Wow this is huge, just sent to me in my email inbox.. Breaking news. Amazon and others like Ebay, Walmart can PULLOUT of California based on new tax bills being presented to Jerry Brown...

Hello,

For well over a decade, the Amazon Associates Program has worked with thousands of California residents. Unfortunately, a potential new law that may be signed by Governor Brown compels us to terminate this program for California-based participants. It specifically imposes the collection of taxes from consumers on sales by online retailers – including but not limited to those referred by California-based marketing affiliates like you – even if those retailers have no physical presence in the state.

We oppose this bill because it is unconstitutional and counterproductive. It is supported by big-box retailers, most of which are based outside California, that seek to harm the affiliate advertising programs of their competitors. Similar legislation in other states has led to job and income losses, and little, if any, new tax revenue. We deeply regret that we must take this action.

As a result, we will terminate contracts with all California residents that are participants in the Amazon Associates Program as of the date (if any) that the California law becomes effective. We will send a follow-up notice to you confirming the termination date if the California law is enacted. In the event that the California law does not become effective before September 30, 2011, we withdraw this notice. As of the termination date, California residents will no longer receive advertising fees for sales referred to Amazon.com, Endless.com, MYHABIT.COM or SmallParts.com. Please be assured that all qualifying advertising fees earned on or before the termination date will be processed and paid in full in accordance with the regular payment schedule.

You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you are a resident of California. If you are not currently a resident of California, or if you are relocating to another state in the near future, you can manage the details of your Associates account here. And if you relocate to another state in the near future please contact us for reinstatement into the Amazon Associates Program.

Huge implications for people and companies and politics! What duyathink?

www.ronpauldonate.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
One vampire walks into an alley, sees another vampire feasting on some human.

First vampire says "Hey, leave some for the next guy!"

Second vampire says, "Get your own!"

Suddenly the human splashes them both with the Holy Water of truth.

Both vampires erupt into flames.

Humans finally free.

Applause. Drop curtain.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Remember!

Money is NOT the root of all evil.

A tax on your income is the root of all evil!

NO TAXATION OF FREE MEN

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's always easier for cowardly politicians to go after the non-confrontational foe. They wouldn't want to rein in their Public Sector unions or anything that might actually help Cali get out of the whole they've dug themselves in.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hmm,
I've got two packages from Amazon on the way & haven't
been notified. Oh man, time to head back home to the mid west.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by don rumsfeld
Hmm,
I've got two packages from Amazon on the way & haven't
been notified. Oh man, time to head back home to the mid west.

Doesn't matter. This is for affiliates, not customers. The whole issue revolves around out-of-state companies collecting sales taxes for the state governments. It's much bigger than the affiliate program. Right now you, as a California citizen, are supposed to pay a "use tax" equivalent to a sales tax on any pourchases you make out of state. Of course, you don't do this and states have no effective way to force you. The advent of the Internt has made this "problem" (if you think in those terms) much worse and states feel they are being "cheated" (if you think in those terms) out of tax revenue.

Taxing affiliates is just the first step. Taxing citizens is the second, much bigger step and is the real goal of the states.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
the Gold Rush got them into cali
and the tax hikes will get them out

I see a mass exodus occurring.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
California sinks deeper into the mud. They just cut off a large source of cash flow into the state.

LOL They wanted more tax revenue, now they will get less.

Government is so simple minded.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
*uck amazon.com! Seriously.
They don't want our money, bad news for them. California life will go on just fine without them.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnaChispa
*uck amazon.com! Seriously.
They don't want our money, bad news for them. California life will go on just fine without them.

I'm surprised at this kind of attitude. It isn't about amazon, really. It's about the citizens of California. As I stated above, the whole idea is to tax the citizens of California for all the online purchases they make from anywhere. Texas and South Carolina have just gone through this with amazon. the reason amazon is the temporary target is because they have such a large online presence, but the idea is to include ALL online merchants everywhere. This would put a substantial amount of revenue in California's coffers, and that money would not be coming from amazon itself, but from you.

Now if you are a good little Progressive and believe you ought to be paying more taxes to the state, about 9% more, I think, then I can see having this attitude because at least it is consistent. If, however, you are reluctant to give more money to a bottomless pit, then it would make more sense to lobby against this bill.

Remember that this is not about the corporation here. Their revenue if they collected the tax and passed it through, would be about a wash (except for the cost of collections). They wouldn't be paying out here; you would. I think it's important to keep in perspective who would win and lose here. It makes no sense to go after the wrong enemy.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

QUICK!!! Seal the pass to Nevada... blow it up... stop the fleeing hoards

edit on 29-6-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by boondock-saint

QUICK!!! Seal the pass to Nevada... blow it up... stop the fleeing hoards

ooops sorry
u didn't pay your taxes on that dynamite
you ordered online. Your stash has been
confiscated. lol

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Its not like this is new or California is being greedy in asking for a cut. Why all the brewhaha?

Amazon has already terminated its affiliate programs in such states as Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Texas due to the battle over sales tax.

link

Talk of a mass exodus seems pretty ignorant in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I understand where you are coming from. I must say that I respectfully disagree.

I think that Corporations would make us believe that all taxes go to a 'bottomless pit' and I've got ocean front property in Arizona. I think it would be unwise to buy into that. However, if it weren't for taxes, the US wouldn't be a good place to live (IMO).

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by midniteracerx
Its not like this is new or California is being greedy in asking for a cut. Why all the brewhaha?

Amazon has already terminated its affiliate programs in such states as Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Texas due to the battle over sales tax.

link

Did you read your own link?

If nothing else, Amazon’s showdown in California proves that Bezos is a man of his word. But California is well known to be a major — and uniquely important –economy in and of itself. Time will tell whether the decision to go to the mat with the Golden State will turn out in Amazon’s favor.

You don't think California is being greedy? They are "asking" (as in "demanding") a cut of interstate commerce, as were the other states. Bezos' take on this is that it is illegal. I think it's great he is taking on the states.

As for the "mass exodus" issue, that is already happening in terms of jobs. Texas is creating new jobs with their tax policies. California is losing jobs becauise of theirs. I do hope the Californais stay in their fine state. they have Californicated too many other places already.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnaChispa
reply to post by schuyler

I understand where you are coming from. I must say that I respectfully disagree.

I think that Corporations would make us believe that all taxes go to a 'bottomless pit' and I've got ocean front property in Arizona. I think it would be unwise to buy into that. However, if it weren't for taxes, the US wouldn't be a good place to live (IMO).

OK. I respect you being straightforward. For the record, it was me who suggested the bottomless pit, not the corporations. I believe it can be proven that government expands to spend available revenue, but that's kind of off the point. I would also suggest the US is a good place to live because of economic freedom, not taxes, which stifle productivity:

Just in case the embed doesn't work: www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by UnaChispa

So... how is that going for you? Since taxes are what has made America great (paraphrasing) then could you please tell me why the most heavily taxed and regulated states in the country are the ones losing jobs, population, and investment? You would think that high employment, population growth, and large investment would be a good thing for the people and the state right? Or am I just living on another planet?
edit on 6/29/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This is about CA being almost bankrupt and instead of doing HARD things, they opt for EASY things.

Hard thing: Reduce spending, cutting useless fatty lining of pockets programs
Easy thing: Tax the populace, tax on new things that were never taxed before (like a new tax on wildfires)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well lets not forget that things haven't always been this bad. Not too long ago California's economy was the eighth largest economy in the world (if the states were compared with other countries). We must have been doing SOMETHING right. Cutting taxes can't be the answer to everything. California will overcome.

We might have to agree to disagree.

By the way, life in California is great. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join