It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 year old, who has questions about the Military, and needs help figuring out his future....

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LandonFromKY

Having served in the military I would tell you that the actual experience is very much different than a movie...I'm sure the relatives that you have that have served will tell you the same.

I'd compare it to watching a show like ER or Grey's Anatomy and thinking that is what being a doctor is about. Surgeons spend their days looking at and digging into disease mostly...there isn't a lot of time for witty banter and the cases are less interesting and more depressing and gross in real life then in a movie.

There are pros and cons of going into the military.

Pros - You have a job and get taken care of. You are told what to do and where to do it and if you can accept that and do what you're told and it's not a hit on your ego, then it may suit you. You will get to see places and things that nobody you know will EVER see and you'll get to meet and join into a brotherhood that is very special. There is something inside of everybody that yearns for comraderie and brotherhood and there is no bond, not even family, that shakes you to your core as a person as when you are in a life and death situation with someone and work together to navigate it. It's something in the modern era that you can only get from the military and it changes you and it's very profound.

Cons - There is this sick feeling you get, deep down..when you see the world for what it really is. Seeing people die and especially if you are involved in their demise, destroys your spirit. The military expects you to put on and buy into this "mask" that it doesn't effect you, but it's definitely better to not know that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach and knowing that you've lost a part of yourself. That may be hard to understand, but you will see things in the military if you are ever involved in combat that are truly terrible and it's never worth it.

When I went in I was young and naïve and aimless. I thought I'd be in for a few years, get help with college after that and have a few cool stories to tell. In the end, I felt the things I saw when I served just diminished my spirit and I struggled for years after that with reconciling my identity and how I fit into the world.

I would offer you this advice..if you TRULY feel that the military is your life's calling, go down to a local veterans hospital and volunteer for a weekend. If the people you meet and the things you see don't change your opinion..then give it a shot. If you are only joining because you feel it's a family obligation and you aren't sure it's for you, there are other things you can do for your country besides joining the armed forces...things that will leave you intact both physically and mentally.

Good luck with your choice...

edit on 23-12-2013 by Nowyouseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

WordPlayJAy
college and then join.

Get an education while you're young.

yeah, college debt first, then killing.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

mb2591

Originally posted by NoClue206

Originally posted by mb2591
I've done a lot of looking in to this.. Dont join the marines.

I would suggest he does

Join the army there are plenty of mos's im sure you can find something you like doing

The USMC has almost all the same MOS's

Plus you get signing bonuses.
Army you advance the fastest.

Money should never be a reason to join. You EARN your rank in the Marines, It's not just given away like a prize. You have to prove you take take charge and lead. You are responsible for peoples lives, that's not something to take lightly.

Also the college fund for the army give you extra money for schooling there.

WOW what are they telling you? You do know every service gets the same GI Bill don't you? We all get the same TA when active duty.
edit on 29-6-2011 by NoClue206 because: quots

Haha are you a former marine?
ETA: never mind I just read your post and your are a former marine.
As my trainer (former coastgaurd in the counterterrorism unit) would say you've been BRAIN WASHED haha it's so true I hear this same # from every marine I talk to.
Yea marines mos are a lot different.
I haven't talked to an army recruiter I've gotten all this info from rod powers who writes for about.com
And the army has a college fund on top of the gi bill.
The reason you advance faster in the army is because it's so big its not that you get handed your rank.
Btfu
edit on 29-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

You know because about.com? LOL. All the these posts and only a few who actually served in the military. Tons of misinformation in this thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Call of Duty, Jarhead? You have to be kidding. The makers of those games should be shot for making it seem cool. 3 years, 1967 - 1971, !!b (rifleman) 1 tour across the pond. Did I make myself clear? NO! You'll get no respect from me. Don't be stupid. The first time incoming takes someone's head off next to you you won't think it's so cool. There is no autosave and you won't respawn. You WILL BE frickin' dead! or maimed. There is no glory in the mud and I wouldn't serve under any of today's crop of politicians.You're won't be defending your country. You'll be nothing more than cannon fodder to be used and discarded when they've used you up. Look at some at some of the pictures of the wounded who both legs and their balls as well or have to # in bag for the rest of their lives or look at a horror in the mirror for the rest of their lives. Walk through the halls of Walter Reid's rehab facilities and then tell me you think it's cool. The Pentagon hid agent orange complications as long as they could, hid the problems with DU rounds and are hiding the problem of troops dying because of smoldering garbage pits now they want to cut retirement benefits. Until they can treat the troops with respect stay away. Sorry for lashing out at you but I thought the same thing as you when I was 18 and enlisted. Trust me, no, no, no,. It's a nasty frickin' business.

LandonFromKY
Well anyways, i have been thinking about this for years, and years. My grandfather, my great grandfather, and my great great grandfather all were in the military and where in a war. My grandfather was in the korean war, earned the MOH, and Purple Heart, among others. So as the time for me to enlist creeps closer and closer, i was wondering if it would be worth it to Join the Military. Most likely the Army, or the Marines. I have always wanted to go in the Military and every time i play Call of Duty, or watch Jarhead, or a War movie it makes me want to go over there even more. I know it is no ones decision but mine, but i want to get some first hand experiences from guys, or girls who have served. I wanna know what it would be like and stuff. I know it would be nice to join and have my College paid for, not only that but the respect i would get from others, and the satisfaction of serving my country, and keeping my country and family free..

So if you have been in the Military or are currently enlisted, please post on here with your experiences, and whatever else you would like to add!

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LandonFromKY

I will begin by saying that I've followed this site for a few years, and have now decided to join. This being my first post.

Joining the military, no matter what branch, is a HUGE decision. It should be thought through and in my opinion, for the right reasons. Many who join only because they have no other choice have a very bad experience, and if you don't have the right mindset going in, it is very easy to fall in with the wrong crowd. And yes, every branch has groups of "dirtbags". I've seen this happen to more soldiers than I'd like to admit. I know this is hard to believe, but there are service men and women who regularly use hard drugs ( hard drugs being anything from coc aine, heroin, and meth) because they know it can be used on a Friday night, and be out of their systems by Monday morning formations.

That being said, service to one's country is one of the most honorable and self rewarding things one can do. Being a former soldier (Army 11b) , I can vouch that it was the best decision that I've ever made.

My final word is "DO YOUR HOMEWORK" ! Research each and every branch, know what your getting into. It's a big military with tons of very different jobs.

Good luck, and keep your head down.

CLIMB TO GLORY!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
m.youtube.com...

This will not be your military experience.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join