It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(New title:) How are people manipulated by psychopaths?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by biosphere
If everybody knew the true intension of cloning it would literally shock you to the point to were you would ask yourself the question? Am i a clone too?
Threw my research it my understanding they perfected this back in the 40's to put the clones in the front lines of war, so the people who hold the true soul essence would not leave this plane after being shot and killed. Well, they took it a step further, im sure everyone has heard of the baby boomers from the 50's and 60's, well guess what, its freaking bizarre to find out that people are put into places for specific reasons. You must understand this.
The good thing out of all of this is that the MOVIE is about to end and everybody will witness and find out who they really are.

You want to know more of what the Evil reptilian race has done, email me, il guide you in the right direction, thats if: you want to know what truth is really about
Enjoy your day and keep smiling

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf1nManSkin

This pretty accurately sums up my life too. I have displayed characteristic tendencies mention here, such as lack of guilt, dampening of feelings, and yet I also experience self reflection. I find it strange that I can live my life the way that I do, basically manipulating things in order for them to go my way, and yet occasionally I am able to subjectively view all these events and situations and the way that I have affected and hurt people. However this 'subjective view' is very much like the emotions I feel, in that they are dampened. I feel guilt, but am able to 'talk myself' out of the guilt. Maybe I am just an incredibly selfish person, however I feel it is more than that. It is more like I have a switch within me, and with it I can turn off emotions and other things that cloud the mind, leaving me free to make objective decisions. I have always been confused by the seemingly apparent psychopathic symptoms in tandem with being, at times, highly introspective. Part of me feels it may have stemmed from an overly cynical view of the world and those living in it, leading to a warped sense of judgement.

I would like to add that I have never been physically violent or abusive to anyone, however I was a victim of physical and verbal bullying for the best part of 8 years.

I find that the willingness of others often stems from naivety, they feel that in any given situation they are guaranteed to come out with the winning hand. However when you consider that many, myself included, are playing using a deck with 6 aces the odds are stacked against them.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not really designed or intended for close personal relationships, and have pretty much vowed to steer clear of them. I feel it is better if stick to purely mutually beneficial, plutonic, relationships which lead to less emotional attachment.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by biosphere

I think you may very well be on to something. Note in my previous post, this person I was with had me burning up out in the sun, and even though I have Latin blood, he was a pasty white English guy, and the sun never bothered or burned him.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Hello,
As that you're a professional, I would like your opinion as well as adding my own comment on this topic.

First of all, I recently read this article from Scientific American on the subject:
www.scientificamerican.com...

After reading the article in S.A., your post and comment about much of society possibly being sociopathic, (A pandemic, as you put it.) I'm curious of your professional opinion as to whether one can be not only a high-functioning psychopath and yet be a "good" person and/or contributing member of society for the most part?

Example: A person functions in society, works, and puts on a "face" every day to do so, much like in the movie "American Psycho" minus the serial killer aspect and lack of feeling toward ALL people. This person highly values the life and feelings of those they're closest to; family, friends, etc. But when it comes to society, anyone they come into contact on a daily basis with means absolutely nothing to them. Literally. Were say, a natural disaster or some serious scenario to happen, they would not spend a second stopping to help another in need, but rather immediately speed to help and be with those exclusive people that they care about. The emotions, plight, and even death of others does not affect them unless they are in that small group of people they care about. This person does not go out of their way to use people, but rather simply doesn't care that they exist. (This person exibits a myriad of traits from different areas associated with psychopathy, but exclusively toward those they aren't close to.)

I see this persona more and more in society as I grow older and wonder...

Is that person I too jaded? What if they've had a rough life, but no more rough than most?
Are they a misanthrope? If they truly hate most humans and while they don't wish them ill, detest everything they represent.
Or, do they have psychopathic tendencies as a high-functioning individual otherwise? If they truly have no empathy or feelings for others that are not close to them, other than pure disgust, what does that mean?

To me, it seems that you are correct that much of society exibits some form of sociopathy. Many peope don't even realize what emotional hypocrits they are, let alone what unempathetic users they have become.
I also believe that most people that exibit those tendencies aren't even aware on a concious level that they do, let alone what they're doing is morally reprehensible and utterly selfish.

Is this the point you're trying to make with your thread?
Can you provide any thoughts or insight on my question about people like I described?
(I feel I know some, lol.)

Thanks for posting this. I am nowhere near a professional, but have seen this as an increasing theme in our society and see it as a serious issue...and it bothers me.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I thought this may be of importance to share in this topic. For some who get involved with another with this disorder, be it full blown or just on the spectrum, even once you realize something is amiss, you continue to stay in the relationship. Even when you know you are not getting your needs met and that something is not quite right in your "relationship". Its not a true relationship in the real sense of the word when only one of your is invested or able to give to the relationship. So why do some stay? What keeps you "trying" to make the relationship work? For some its the Betrayal Bond. What is that, you may ask.

Dr. Carnes himself survived a Betrayal Bond, and as such writes with the authority of someone who has “been there.” Remember, it is not just women who are affected by love fraud. Normal men bond and are deeply affected by their love relationships. Dr. Carnes discusses in detail the psychological trauma associated with a relationship with a sociopath, though his book does not focus only on sociopaths. When you finish this book you will have a clear perspective on why and how you became attached to a sociopath. The book is full of questions and exercises designed to help you assess yourself and find healing.

www.lovefraud.com...

For me personally, I had never in my life encountered such a person. I had been married and divorced. Had other "normal" or "healthy" relationships that ended because we were just not compatible. I was 40 when I met him. He was 11 years older than me. I never imagined, in mid-life dating, that I would run into a person like this. I had never encountered one before this. He seemed "different", even odd at times. I thought after the first year or so, he may have aspergers (or be on the spectrum). I have a child with the disorder. Eventually, I found out that his ability to lie, and never feel remorseful, was uncanny. He never felt bad when he lied and got caught. He'd even get angry and try to make it my fault that he lied! He would have told me about the other women, but I wouldn't have understood! WTF?!?!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Area_X

Area-X, from your Scientific American article: "When Murphy asked an Inuit what the group would typically do with a kunlangeta, he replied, “Somebody would have pushed him off the ice when nobody else was looking.”

Wow!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Mostly it seem that it is the woman being sucked in by the psychopathic guy, but in my case it was the other way round.

I was actually married to a psycho for almost 5 years - we got pregnant after dating for only a month or so (yes silly me) and I wanted to be a part of my child's life so shortly after I married her. Thus started 5 years of hell for me... living with a person completely without empathy, hell I am not perfect, no one is, but this person I was with was completely ballistic.

In the end I finally broke away, we had two children by then, two children I love very much and in my ex wife's hands the perfect weapon.

Some months after we separated I found someone else, the love of my life, she showed me what it was to have a real relationship based on sharing, kindness, etc all the good things. As the years went by my ex-wife continued her games by making it difficult for me to see my children, but I had juridical rights so I managed to have a good relationship with them.

After a time my Ex started to make overtures to me again, about going on a holiday together with the children, spending time together etc, etc - I was like NO WAY, but I humoured her just to keep things calm. By this time I had been with my new love for almost two years and there was no way I would sacrifice this happiness we shared to go back to living in hell with my Ex!

In the end my Ex found out about my relationship and you know what she did? She promptly accused me of sexually abusing both my children - this happened within a week of her finding out about my "new" relationship. She got some psychologist to state that I WAS A PSYCHOPATH! That during our marriage I was abusive, violent and even tried to kill her! That I was violent to my children and had molested the both of them - a boy and a girl...

The Psychologist was so sure that this was the truth (after not making any attempt to talk to me whatsoever) that she took her findings to a Judge and got a restraining order against me so that I could not be within 150 meters of my own flesh and blood.

That was over two and half years ago. I have been fighting these allegations all this time and have watched the lives of my two children completely destroyed (as well as my own). In fact I am not alone in this as my love has been by my side the whole time - I doubt I could have survived this alone, without her

So from that you can see that the Psycho has no qualms about ruining the lives of even her own children to get revenge, even going so far as to use them as a weapon.

Yes I will continue to fight and yes I will win in the end, but sadly the damage is already done

Originally posted by GisfridMaillor
YAY victim- the new mainstream fashion.

Why live your life and do what you want when you can just be a victim and give up all power and hope.

It is not my fault I AM A VICTIM.

Accept personal responseability, move on, stop blaming others for what you cannot do now.

We all have crap in our lives, some play victim there whole life and some get up dust off and live.

Why be a victim, make things happen. Stop living in the past and living in other people problems.

So yeah "victims" is a pandemin, like the homeless, and homegrown terroism.

A bunch of people to selfabsorbed to realize that stupide crap holding you back is in your head it is your thoughts. Yeah someone did something to you, so what you really gonna spend your whole life on that?

GisfridMaillor, I sincerely hope that nothing happens to you or those you love that can make you change your mind about what you said.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
reply to post by biosphere

I think you may very well be on to something. Note in my previous post, this person I was with had me burning up out in the sun, and even though I have Latin blood, he was a pasty white English guy, and the sun never bothered or burned him.

I know what you mean though i have latin blood too. I feel it also works the opposite way as well. I was on the golf course paired up with some asian guys who acted and reacted just like a robot. Plus he was wearing clothing that covered his entire body on a hot day, the only thing exposed was his face cheeks and one hand. Very bizarre, Email me simone50, i think i have some info for you that will spark your interest.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is interesting:

"Dr. Barrett proposes an alternative conspiracy theory: The only conspiracy that matters is the conspiracy of the psychopaths against the rest of us."

www.truthwinds.com...

The article Twilight of the Psychopaths, by Dr. Kevin Barrett, published in the March, 2008 edition of The Idaho Observer, rather succinctly and astutely reveals that civilization, as we know it, has largely been created by psychopaths. His thesis is that all civilizations are based on slavery and "warfare," which he terms a euphemism for mass murder. He proposes that the psychopath’s recipe for civilization has three steps, which form the repetitive pattern of history: 1) use lies and brainwashing to create an army of controlled, systematic mass murderers; 2) use that army to enslave large numbers of people by seizing control of their labor and its fruits; 3) use that slave labor power to improve the brainwashing process (by using the economic surplus to employ scribes, priests and PR men). Then go back and repeat the process."

edit on 30-6-2011 by ParAvion because: added a bit

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Parasites rule the Earth and all lifeforms are at the mercy of parasites. Parasite species are believed to outnumber non-parasitic species and may manipulate almost every aspect of the ecosystem. The parasite(Toxoplasma gondi) affect the behaviour of humans and at least 50% of the population is affected and they don't even know it.

"A small minority of people have strong psychological effects from toxoplasmosis, including delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia. The majority of the infected however, show no such drastic symptoms. Most people with toxoplasmosis have no idea they’re infected, but that doesn’t mean that they’re unaffected. At Charles University in Prague, parasitologist Jeroslav Flegr administered psychological tests to people infected with Toxoplasma, and compared them to a control group. He found alterations in the psychology of the infected individuals that seemed to be gender-based. Infected men appeared more jealous and suspicious. Infected women appeared more warm-hearted and outgoing. Both sexes seemed to be more self-reproachful than the control group."

What alterations Toxoplasma makes to human psychology in general is even more unclear. What is abundantly clear is that whatever those alterations are, they affect a huge number of people. Can we afford to be as ignorant of them as we currently are?

scienceblogs.com...
www.livescience.com...
www.damninteresting.com...

10-fascinating-cases-of-mind-control/
listverse.com...

Mind-Controlling Parasites Date Back Millions of Years
www.redicecreations.com...

Whose controlling who?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes I am asking ATS members if they have ever been the subject -- the chosen person -- of a sociopath.
Yes. After the initial disillusionment, the event became a valuable lesson. That made up for everything that was taken from me.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Abrihetx

Sociopath is someone with Anti Social Personality Disorder.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a separate (but related in terms of it being Cluster B disorder on Axis II; which cluster represents the dramatic/emotional types).
The others in the cluster are Histrionic PD, and Borderline PD.

Hope you enjoy your studies. Congratulations for taking an interest based on experience: IMHO those are the best clinicians who have endured or experienced dysfunctional relationships. Life experience adds so much to academics!

However, some people in the field have their own "baggage" dragging behind them, still unresolved. (As in any profession). For that reason it is crucial when selecting a clinician to interview them -- find out what their approach(es) are, what their specialty is (or was) in school and in practice, and then do some independent research to determine if the theories they suggest using make sense to you.

Yes, people can and do come from optimum upbringings and turn out to have pathology; others are surrounded by chaos and maladaptive behavior and turn out "fine." One of the things we don't know is how that happens.

Would be happy to toss around ideas as you go through your schooling...if you like!
(Especially since you've chosen the "psychology" path rather than the "social work" path). At least when I was in school and early practice, there was a distinct difference, though by now that may have changed.

Cheers!
-WT

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Area_X

Area X, I will read the article when I have time, and then read your post again and respond asap.
Thanks for the great questions!

I'll do my best to help sort it out for you!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by biosphere
reply to post by wildtimes

These are known as true clones, cut of from their heart chakra to their crown chakra put here to confuse the masses even more and to have them believe in atheism. Trust me, i have family members this way.

Wow. That's a fascinating theory...can you offer some links to read more? I know some of chakra theory, but not an expert on it.
--WT

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
Sociopaths are a bit different, and we have to remember that it is more of a spectrum type disorder(like the autism spectrum). Most sociopaths just don't have a conscience and rely on social customs(nurture) to figure out right and wrong.

ummm, but how could someone have a conscience without knowing social customs?
I know it's possible to have a conscience based on past-lives's social-customs.
Though really some people are young and require a layout of the rules.

One of the greatest misfortunes of our society,
is total disregard of healthy diet, relationships, and social activity.
Typically in school children routinely abuse each other verbally,
their cartoons are infused with violence, and movies with sex and drugs.

So the mass-school/media can only blame itself,
for generating large amounts of sex, drug and violence.
And no, you can't claim "the parents" have to do it,
since they are from the same system...

Sociopaths know that others aren't like them so learn how to hide it and blend in.

Ya, but can't pick up girls if you blend in.
PUA rule number something, Peacocking,

Urban Dictionary
Peacocking means dressing for attention. Just like Peacock's use their feathers to get a mate.
Peacocking is meant to make opening a girl easier,
www.urbandictionary.com...

+Sociopaths and Psychopaths are control freaks that are drawn to job's like Police Officers, Judge/Lawyers/Legal profession and politics.

that explains a lot.

During the cold war in Soviet controlled countries all knowledge of sociopaths was suppressed and didn't become available until the iron curtain fell.

Ya based on some of the descriptions of people talking about psycho/socio-paths my dad is one.
He's completely incapable of ever accepting blame for anything, he always tries to lay it on someone else.
More recently I think his mental and physical faculties may be degraded from pharmaceuticals.
I think part of his like to blame other's is that instead of blaming self, he blames is body, and that curse gave him arthritis, which he tries to quench with pharma.

My mom always seemed cold and distant,
typically when I think of her facial expression,
the only thing I can remember is worried and horror,
as that's the only time's she'd pay attention to me.

Drugs are bad! Oh the horror!
That was the most emotive face my mom ever did have.

Kashmar, (nightmare) and Ujas (horror),
are some of a soviet's house-wives most common phrases.
Instead of asking "how are you?" my mom would ask "are you sick?"

Though ya, I think it's more to do with Soviet Education model,
where they see the State as more important than the family.
I'm fairly certain they simply did to me, what the "state" did to them.

For instance my parents believe that only stupid people can be happy,
and so they have defensive mechanisms to prevent themselves from smiling or laughing.

lol, I remember my partner was imitating them saying "Why are you laughing? why are you smiling? why are you happy? you should be doing what needs to be done!" lol they are ridiculous.

When my mom saw me walking down the street and smiling, she told me I looked like a retard.

Oh and when they weren't busy insulting me,
and making sure they don't "spoil" me" by ignoring me,
their only mode of interaction was providing services for them.

So only time they would talk to me, would be to tell me to do something, typically for them.
Not that they gained any enjoyment out of anything,
but they believed it "needed to be done",
since the soviet state had told them so.

my mom is a bit more flexible in the spiritual department,
as she got new-age books from the west,
which let her be somewhat open minded.

Also my dad likes to read sci-fi and fantasy,
however he lives in a compartmentalized reality,
where knowledge from one domain can't be applied to any other.
For instance children are incapable of making suggestions,
since soviet citizens weren't listened to by the state.
His only taste of leadership was in the army,
and just like most things, he frowned at it.

*(Psychopath, Sociopath, Adaptive[normal's, can go either towards sociopathy or empathy] Empath and Aspie/autism**)

Ya I'm adaptive.

But I must say it's been a long road,
and much seeks and research went into it.
I used to be a perpetually nervous kid with sweaty hands,
both from having large-brain thinking many thoughts,
and my families soviet parenting style.

So I took it upon myself to develop a better style,
one that is pleasant for both the child and the parent.

Though in my rebellion,
who knows, maybe I smile too much, lol.
Also I have trouble not seeing the bright side.

Setting up an intentional-community,
is likely one of the most in-depth looks at how to have healthy social relations.
Currently am living happily with my partner,
she is also happy, has much higher self-esteem then when I met her,
we've even opened up our relationship to polyamory,
which is a testament to how secure we feel,
can share our paradise with more people.

edit on 30/6/11 by lowki because: paradise

edit on 30/6/11 by lowki because: are you?

edit on 30/6/11 by lowki because: conscience

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident

Originally posted by wildtimes I am asking ATS members if they have ever been the subject -- the chosen person -- of a sociopath.
Yes. After the initial disillusionment, the event became a valuable lesson. That made up for everything that was taken from me.

How true. It's life that is the best teacher...and no matter what happens in one's life, I do believe it is there happening for a reason -- which is to learn.
I, too, felt profoundly "changed", though not by ANY means annihilated entirely, just duped, despite my best efforts to stay healthy and balanced.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
"How are people manipulated by psychopaths?"

How many fans does Glenn Beck have?

Quite a few.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
"Psychopathy" is no longer a term used in Psychology. Since about 1980 the term became "Antisocial Personality Disorder" according to the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistics Manual).

not sure if that was covered, but, to be honest I rarely read these kinds of threads. I have a Master's degree in Psychology and the mere number of armchair psychologists out there who have mistaken perceptions about diagnoses is crazy! (pun intended
)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Maybe it wasnt actually the men that was the problem if they all have been that way...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

"A small minority of people have strong psychological effects from toxoplasmosis, including delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia. The majority of the infected however, show no such drastic symptoms. Most people with toxoplasmosis have no idea they’re infected, but that doesn’t mean that they’re unaffected. At Charles University in Prague, parasitologist Jeroslav Flegr administered psychological tests to people infected with Toxoplasma, and compared them to a control group. He found alterations in the psychology of the infected individuals that seemed to be gender-based. Infected men appeared more jealous and suspicious. Infected women appeared more warm-hearted and outgoing. Both sexes seemed to be more self-reproachful than the control group."

Huh! The only time I've heard of toxoplasmosis was when I was pregnant with my first child, and told not to change the cat-box because toxoplasmosis was dangerous for a developing fetus...

Very interesting theory...I'll look into it!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join