It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 detained in Moldova over bomb-grade uranium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
why did i put this here? simple, a North African Nation was buying it; Any guess as to who or which one, could it be Libya?
news.yahoo.com... from the link

Interior Ministry official Vitalie Briceag said the uranium-235 was brought in from Russia. He said the smugglers were trying to sell it to a North African country for €20 million ($28.85 million).
now my thinking is, as with the drug smuggling, there is always more that just one. and what is the amount needed to make a one? let the experts answer, from the link

The International Atomic Energy Agency considers 25 kilograms (55 pounds) of uranium-235 a "significant quantity" — technical language for the amount needed to make a nuclear bomb.
Was the amount seized, enough? Was it refined to weapons grade? It does not say, will we know? Most likely not.
edit on 29-6-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

That's more than than enough to make a nuke or two. But the tech availability and the know-how are the determining factors.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

The fact that these countries in that part of the world are determined to get nuclear bombs show how simple minded they really are. Don't they realize that the only thing they are going to accomplish is killing themselves and their people in the process. There is enough radiation already circling the Northern Hemisphere to eventually kill us all. Just keep shooting it off we will all be dead just a little sooner. Just like Iran bragging about having missles to shoot 800 miles. They are so ignorant that apparently they don't realize except for the immediate destruction they are going to get the blow back in the air. The stuff is like throwing a boomerang. I am getting to the point of saying go ahead fools hell ain't half full yet. The is no hope for the stupid ones.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Jeez, that's a lot of money. Probably like in the movies, the people involved were going to do this "just one last deal" before retirement.

I guess in a way they are right. They are now retired!!
edit on 29-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
A nuclear Jihad is just around the corner.

Mohammed smiles.

Allah farts.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

they have the know how, what would an IED do if nuked up? they do not care about then selves, they get 72 virgins when they die to kill us, or do you not know that?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

bat man runs, robin's egg is fried, oh what fun it is to get a nuke on Xmas eve, well it sort of rimes. seemed undone, does rime with "Allah farts".
back to the point if this is just a ploy and the sale went through then who has it how soon will it be used and then where will it be used. Some do not want to think about this well you need if you know and when then you might stop it. then again would they?

edit on 30-6-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Kind of a reason to justify the Patriot Act don't you think. These are the reasons it was passed and not for spying on your average citizen as so many here would have you believe.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

The International Atomic Energy Agency considers 25 kilograms (55 pounds) of uranium-235 a "significant quantity" — technical language for the amount needed to make a nuclear bomb.

Little boy contained 64 kg of uranium 235.

The core of Little Boy contained 64 kg of uranium, of which 50 kg was enriched to 88%, and the remaining 14 kg at 50%.

So it depends on what's the level of enrichment.

The yield was 13-18 kt, so it was pretty small.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

we have come a long way sense then, dial a nuke, yes look that up, too 20lb by weight, 1 megaton explosion? will have to look that one up i could be wrong.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

we have come a long way sense then, dial a nuke, yes look that up, too 20lb by weight, 1 megaton explosion? will have to look that one up i could be wrong.

Yeah but this is a high tech design. And you need plutonium to do bigger yields than 100 kt.

And NOWHERE in the article does it say the actual amount of uranium 235 they had. My bet, considering the price, is that it's less than 5 pounds...
edit on 30-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

not really i looked it up and any 6th grade student could build a 3f fusion fission fission nuke with a 1 meg out put, Russia made , could be the feared suitcase nuke? or their version of "long tom" US 155 mm, what one can find on the net, i will not put a link up for you never know who is looking , yes i can be found by why make it easy for them.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Bekod,

To build a weapons ready hot nuclear device is a very tedious task and requires alot of mechanical and refrigiration to keep it cool as once temp changes as once the temp changes it begins to crystalize which activates the warhead aspect.Keep it cool and at a chill temp and it's near frozen and worthless. Heat it up by crystalizing it, and it lights up like the 4th of July. Very compactable and very unstable. No vehicle that has it on board is allowed to exceed like 10mph as once rock or bounce and it will be disastourous.

Once the yellowcake and uranium mix it is game over for anyone within a quarter mile.
edit on 30-6-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

link   
There is alot to consider as who the original client was or for whom or purpose was it intended for.

edit on 30-6-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

link   
Look at this thread first :

Osama Bin Laden and the South African Nukes
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now read the following :

Could've the stolen nukes have been found?

TPTB about to setoff a nuke inside of Europe and had their plan get foiled? To set off a nuke inside of Europe as the 5 principle seats of geopolitical power are as follows :

London, Paris, Brussels, Rome and The Hauge. Set off in either and Europe will fall which begs to ask the q, would they in fact set one off in Europe as they have yet to employ the heavy weaponary inside the continent. Another question then rises, was that in fact set for Athens to enforce compliance as Economical Leverage and threats of ruin seem to be ineffective as a way of forcing Athens to comply.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by bekod

Yeah but this is a high tech design. And you need plutonium to do bigger yields than 100 kt.

And NOWHERE in the article does it say the actual amount of uranium 235 they had. My bet, considering the price, is that it's less than 5 pounds...
edit on 30-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Vit,
The issue with that is that no kid has the kind of resouces to sucessfully house weapons grade plutonium. Even MIT ain't got capacities like that.

top topics

join