It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Mile Mandatory Evacuation Area Around Ft. Calhoun Nuke Plant (but don't worry - be happy)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

lol..isnt omaha 20 miles south? uhmm whats ten miles gonna do ?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Aren't there a few other nuclear plants in the states having similar issues?

Are there?
Kinda wondering if this is a special issue

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

All is well right?

If you believe the government and the NRC :
Must read investigation : US nuke regulators weaken safety rules!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Are there?
Kinda wondering if this is a special issue
I can't say that I'm 100% sure but I remember hearing today that there were multiple nuclear plant problems, not just Ft. Calhoun. Can somebody confirm that?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I don't know much about it, but ran across this article. Take a look.

Us Nuke Plants rated

One in 10,000 The reactor with the highest risk rating is 24 miles north of New York City, in the village of Buchanan, N.Y., at the Indian Point Energy Center. There, on the east bank of the Hudson, Indian Point nuclear reactor No. 3 has the highest risk of earthquake damage in the country, according to new NRC risk estimates provided to msnbc.com. A ranking of the nation's 104 commercial nuclear reactors is shown at the bottom of this article, listing the NRC estimate of risk of an earthquake causing core damage.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Interesting, but that article focuses more on what nuclear power plants have the greatest chance of being compromised in the event of an earthquake or some other disaster. I'm 99% sure that today I heard that multiple nuclear plants in the US were at immediate risk, if they went Fukushima....I don't even want to think about it.

Here's another one going down in Los Alamos, New Mexico
edit on 29-6-2011 by TupacShakur because: To add the link

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Living within 10 miles of the plant I can confirm this as false.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Maybe these possible nuclear events are why all the zombie apocalypse instructions are going out to various government branches and affiliates?

Oh! Tinfoil hat on!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Well, I guess this had to happen sooner or later. Seems every time the govt. plans the work, then work the plan, nature just sits up and says "Ummmmm, I don't THINK so!"

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Ha ! did that evacuation zone come into play before or after the fool, apparently accidentally slashed the rubber berm?

Among the more striking scenery at this plant a few miles north of Omaha was the floating carcass of a 2,000-foot-long rubber berm that was supposed to help protect the plant. A plant worker driving a small earth mover called a Bobcat accidentally sideswiped it early Sunday morning, pulling it open like a zipper.

And this vision plays within the realms of 17th century fire fighting and leaky boat skills meets the atomic age... its getting 'Keystone Cops' but not at all funny.

At Fort Calhoun, where the river has risen gradually, the water seeps in through sandbag walls, electrical conduits and other places that workers had not thought much about before. There are so many small water pumps running to keep up with the leaks that keeping them supplied with gasoline and diesel requires something akin to a bucket brigade. Orange plastic fuel cans are rolled on a cart over the catwalks and then handed off to employees who are headed deeper into the plant. Climbing over the sandbags at the entrances, they carry them in, and workers on their way out pick up a few empties and carry them out for refilling.

This quote says it all...

“We don’t like to give worst-case scenarios anymore because every time it rains, we get a new worst case,” said Col. Robert J. Ruch, commander of the Omaha District.

source

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234

This post got a little lost. Has the plant told the residents anything? Can you take pictures?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

I haven't heard anything that says I need to be concerned, I could take pictures/video in the next few days and post it though.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
Another one?

The Universe actually does react to our thoughts on a grand scale. Imagine that. With all of the hype about the end of the world, nuclear destruction, financial crisis, and general disaster, the Universe has no choice but to respond in kind.

Ask and you will receive

We essentially gave it our clear and expressed permission.

You speak like the whole world thinks like we do...please dont generalise, we are but a small minority.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234

i have pictures of calhoun completely inundated with water....how is this not so?... i feel bad that they havent even warned you..it is real..how can you say its not real then say ill go check it out
..man thats some backpedaling there

edit on 30-6-2011 by sol420 because: yeah stuff

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

It is good to hear that, as I have family that lives near Kennard, and was kind of wondering how things have been going. Thanks for the update.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch &ei=miMMTuzBDq3TiAK-qYHrDQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1067&bih=745

this page on google is quite full of pics of one very wet....nuclear plant

just hit images on the left

edit on 30-6-2011 by sol420 because: yup i did it

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by PacificBlue

tell them to get out now...

Jun 23, 2011: Since the start of June, two nuclear power plants located on the banks of the massively flooded Missouri River in Nebraska have experienced “unusual events”. The Fort Calhoun nuclear plant 19 miles north of Omaha is on alert due to multiple reasons, being a fire that caused temporary loss of cooling a little over two weeks ago [1] as well as the flooding of the facility that has been worsening throughout June (much of the Fort Calhoun plant is currently underwater). Also, an “unusual event” at Cooper nuclear plant 80 miles south of Omaha caused an alert on June 19th [2] and the water levels only need to rise less than two and a half feet for this plant to also be underwater. From a report on June 15th relative to the Fort Calhoun nuclear plant [emphasis added throughout]:

… the power station is starting to flood, and as was the case with the Fukushima sea wall, money was saved by building flood barriers at the legally required minimum. While the reactor itself was shut down for re-fueling, a fire broke out in the electrical system and cooling was lost for the spent fuel rod cooling pool, the same problem now plaguing Fukushima’s building #4. Yes, the Power Plant is saying there has been no release of radiation, but that was the same song we heard from TEPCO at the start. The FAA has declared a no-fly zone for two miles around the plant because of “hazard.”

At the moment, things look stable, but if the flooding increases (or worse, an upstream dam fails) sandbags are not going to hold back the water. [3]

— Arnie Gundersen, Chief Engineer, Fairewinds Associates (Energy Consultants — including on Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant)

edit on 30-6-2011 by sol420 because: had to add words

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sol420

I agree, but they do not think anything is really wrong, and all I can do is share information. Right now, glad I am not there. The river is expected to stay high for weeks or even longer, so I will be hoping that things get better soon.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by PacificBlue

whos this they? the people that didnt tell the guy ten miles awy that there was nuclear risk? is that the same they?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join