It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Mile Mandatory Evacuation Area Around Ft. Calhoun Nuke Plant (but don't worry - be happy)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that both interviewees were stuttering when telling their stories about how safe it was? That is very telling by itself...

Having a 10 miles zone around the plant is another telling feature of the story. The fact of the evacuation zone tells me that they think something could happen and are planning in advance for it. Which, really, is a good thing, at least they are not as incompetent as Japan was about the situation.

If this goes into meltdown too, holy crap, that wouldn't be good at all...

Pred...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The plant is hardly safe because it has been shut down. It is the storage repository for all spent fuel rods for the entire state of Nebraska. There are over 20 years worth of spent fuel rods stored on site. Some are still highly radioactive. That is what the water coolant pumps are cooling.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Soo .........really pissed right now.........

I watched Michio Kaku yesterday talking about he issue in Nebraska on FOX news.......

Ive gone to YOUTUBE and every website..........and the video of the interview is NO WHERE to be found.......not on FOX website, not on CNN , not on YOUTUBE not ANYWHERE..........

He was saying some pretty profound things........apparently someone didnt want it being spread.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Anyone else notice that both interviewees were stuttering when telling their stories about how safe it was? That is very telling by itself...

Having a 10 miles zone around the plant is another telling feature of the story. The fact of the evacuation zone tells me that they think something could happen and are planning in advance for it. Which, really, is a good thing, at least they are not as incompetent as Japan was about the situation.

If this goes into meltdown too, holy crap, that wouldn't be good at all...

Pred...

Yes, I noticed the stuttering too... catching his words to make sure he gets the right message across.

What killed me even more was how he went on to talk about the superiority of US nuke plants and their ability to withstand natural disasters.

*yawn*

Today - It's safe. Nothing to worry about.

Tomorrow - It's safe. Everything is under control.

Next Week - It's safe and minor problems are being dealt with.

Next Month - There has been a small breach and a wee bit of radiation leaked, but not to worry it'll be diluted and thus it's safe.

Two Months Later - Okay, we've had a few breaches, but our people are working hard to get everything under control. Nothing to worry about.

Three Months Later - The damage is worse than we first thought. We've now detected partial meltdown. Unfortunately there has been ongoing radiation leaks, but nothing worse than what a banana or cross-country airplane flight wouldn't expose you too. State and Federal agencies are working diligently to get everything under control. Oh and by the way, we have now extended the evacuation zone to 30 miles... just to ensure the safety of our beloved citizens. Nothing to worry about though, it's just extra precautions.

... and so the story goes...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Yep, last time I checked most of our reactors are made by GE, very similar to the ones in Japan.

We know for a fact MSM is covering up the real damage from Fukushima...If this one goes down, I can't imagine how they will cover this up.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
Another one?

The Universe actually does react to our thoughts on a grand scale. Imagine that. With all of the hype about the end of the world, nuclear destruction, financial crisis, and general disaster, the Universe has no choice but to respond in kind.

Ask and you will receive

We essentially gave it our clear and expressed permission.

We help in these disasters by not being good stewards. The nuclear industry and some of these reactors just look to be rotting away. Standards? What does the NRC do? Anything?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Fantastic...
I have great confidence in our president to smooth this over somehow.
dont worry about what is going on here,.
just keep watching the Casey trial or ... where is Charlie Sheen at,. he is good for some air time.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Does it seem strange to anyone else the president hasn't gone to the area to survey the damage from the flood. Every big natural disaster I can remember the president at least does the obligatory fly over. I know I would buy the whole everything is ok story if the president was there. You know his people wouldn't let him do anything dangerous and I find it strange he gave a speech today but this was not the main topic.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Soo .........really pissed right now.........

I watched Michio Kaku yesterday talking about he issue in Nebraska on FOX news.......

Ive gone to YOUTUBE and every website..........and the video of the interview is NO WHERE to be found.......not on FOX website, not on CNN , not on YOUTUBE not ANYWHERE..........

He was saying some pretty profound things........apparently someone didnt want it being spread.

I think I found it. Not fox ABC.

abcnews.go.com...

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Usually the POTUS shows up after a disaster, to bolster support for the clean up.

Unfortunately for us, it would take thousands of years to clean up central America if they let these plants go critical.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You know, I am no genius, but it seems to me that if you can build a nuclear reactor you should be able to design it on a 2nd or 3rd floor or elevated in some manner.

Why should we have to worry about this crap? Flooding are you freaking kidding me?

And please, don't tell me these engineers could not see the potential of natural disasters such as earthquake, flooding etc.

As a species, humanity cannot control (yet) cosmic occurrences, and their effects, but we should always put our best foot forward with regard to preparedness. Gosh darn-it, why can people get it together?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Yes Jimmy Carter showed up to TMI when the accident happened, they should get Obama out there to look at how serious this can get. Maybe he will realize military and defense spending should be curtailed a bit and maybe 70 year old dams should be rebuilt.

But again most of us here have some common sense...

Pred...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Looks like If/once the people find out about this Riots and Wide Spread Panic will ensue. Perfect conditions for Marshall law, FEMA CAMPS those big "body boxes" which can hold up to 4 bodies in one container. I think the Elite will use this to their advantage.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

No kidding, our plants our better even though they are built by the same company and can survive less of an earthquake.

Give me a break, if a dam breaks all hell is going to break loose, whether they lie about it or not is another question.

And will the US government we all know they never have a straight answer.

The stuttering got to me though, you stutter when your making stuff up, and they fact BOTH stuttered is unnerving at the very least.

Pred...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Sorry for the double post. Found this dated from yesterday as well. I have taken this as a chalenge but can't locate Fox news from yesterday with Michio Kaku.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SignalsAnyone else find it very "convenient" we have (or recently had) HUGE military excercises on American soil and offshore lately?
edit on 29-6-2011 by Signals because: classified

I know they are beefing up the Chicago area security for the 4th of July weekend after the info they got from binLaden about the Chicago transit being a terrorist target. I wonder what else they found that we're not being told about.
edit on 29-6-2011 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
A 10 mile zone is NRC requirement. I live near a plant that will be expanding creating lots of jobs locally as well as a new plant in another county that will likewise create lots of jobs. You can't plan for everything and still be competitive. Some form of risk based odds come into the equation.

Emergency Planning Zones

For planning purposes, the NRC defines two emergency planning zones (EPZs) around each nuclear power plant. The exact size and configuration of the zones vary from plant to plant due to local emergency response needs and capabilities, population, land characteristics, access routes, and jurisdictional boundaries. The two types of EPZs are:

The plume exposure pathway EPZ extends about 10 miles in radius around a plant. Its primary concern is the exposure of the public to, and the inhalation of, airborne radioactive contamination.

The ingestion pathway EPZ extends about 50 miles in radius around a plant. Its primary concern is the ingestion of food and liquid that is contaminated by radioactivity.

Emergency Planning Zones

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Show me a interview of workers wearing Carhartts, not current GQ garb and I'll feel more comfortable. I want to see OLD hardhats emblazoned with stickers like "Safety in 2001!", "My child is an honor student", "I'm an American, and I vote!", "Forklift certified", "No electron should be free!".
These sterile staged shots do nothing for me.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

Bramble, I understand your position. I think we could build "safe" Nuke Plants...we won't though. We will build the cheapest plants we can get away with.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
You want to know why I come to this site for news instead of turning on the TV?

ABC news story: Nebraska Residents in No Danger After Floods Hit Nuke Plant: Waters Breach Berm at Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station

That's why. "Everything is OK people, resume your mindless, materialistic lives, don't worry about our debt, don't worry about radiation, don't worry about your rights being taken away, just watch television and don't ask questinos and everything will be fine."

Aren't there a few other nuclear plants in the states having similar issues?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join