It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual: mild tsunami along the West Coast (UK)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This news has surprised me. Not only because I feel that it is quite unusual, but also because I wonder if one of the signs mentioned in the article is normal with what they said could have been a mild tsunami.

"mild tsunami" along the South West coast was probably caused by an underwater landslide, a coastal expert has said.

The unusual tidal surge struck the Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Hampshire coastline on Monday morning.

There were reports of rivers changing direction, fish leaping out of water and hair standing on end due to static.

BBC source

It seems that women had their hair standing on end due to static

I am looking forward to hearing your comments about this event.
Thank you.
Regards,

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The video looks more like a tidal bore than a small tsunami to me. They actually surf on the River Severn in the spring when these tidal bores come in.

edit on 29-6-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
According to Dr. Davidson it was more likely a tsunami of some kind.

Dr Davidson, an associate professor in coastal processes, told BBC Spotlight: "[Surges] are quite rare and it's probably not a tidal phenomenon.

"It's probably more likely to be a tsunami of some kind, obviously it's quite mild.

But what I wonder, is it normal for this kind of event to cause what they mention as "hair standing on end due to static"?

By the way, do you know if it ever happened before in the UK?

Please, add your comments and knowledge. I am intrigued by this event.
Thank you.

edit on 29-6-2011 by Ptolomeo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
According to Dr. Davidson it was more likely a tsunami of some kind.

Dr Davidson, an associate professor in coastal processes, told BBC Spotlight: "[Surges] are quite rare and it's probably not a tidal phenomenon.

"It's probably more likely to be a tsunami of some kind, obviously it's quite mild.

But what I wonder, is it normal for this kind of event to cause what they mention as "hair standing on end due to static"?

By the way, do you know if it ever happened before in the UK?

Please, add your comments and knowledge. I am intrigued by this event.
Thank you.

I'm not an expert... but if there actually were people experiencing STATIC... I'm gonna suspect something un-natural in origin. So if the professional academics wanna claim offshore landslide... who am I to argue.

Were you aware that there was another thread on ATS concerning this issue???
edit on 29-6-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thank you for your reply.

Have been investigating and I haven´t been able to find out a relation between a tsunami and static.
Can you?

Static electricity refers to the build up of electric charge on the surface of objects. The static charges remain on an object until they either bleed off to ground or are quickly neutralized by a discharge. Static electricity can be contrasted with current (or dynamic) electricity, which can be delivered through wires as a power source... The familiar phenomenon of a static 'shock' is caused by the neutralization of charge.

Source: static electricity Wikipedia

When I try to find a relation, all the news refers me to the recent event in the UK but nothing to explain this.
Really interesting.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ptolomeo

A close friend of mine told me about this. Apparently it came along the coast hitting Devon, Dorset and Hampshire. It was overcast, I was ill so was not near the beach. Would have loved to have seen it.

I do know there was a documentary covering either the 17 or 18 hundreds when we had a tsumani come in further up the coast in Devon or just into Somerset. It was found by someone trawling through the Parish records which described what had occurred and the dead.

Let me assure you that my hair does not stand on end and is not permitted a life of its own, although I do conduct electricity and sparks from petticoats flow occasionally especially at night .

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ptolomeo

i have been looking at and commenting on the other thread as I live on the Cornish coast.

I think the static was supposed to have been caused by the rapidly falling tide... at least I think that's what I read, sry no link for that

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thank you for your contribution to my post and for the flags.

I just noticed that there was already a post about this started at 07:13 pm on 29/06/2011, while I started mine at 08:24 pm on 29/06/2011. This means that mine was not the first... I Didn´t notice it before. But, do not continue writing here (please, Mods, close it).
Write your further answers and comments on Mini Tsunami hits UK, ATS
Thank you.

Regards,
Ptolomeo

top topics

join