It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wyoming "Permitless Carry" law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
NH's "permitless carry" bill got shot down by the NRA if you can believe it.

I don't...

As a NRA Life Member, I have never seen the NRA pursue a stance on firearm legislation that would infringe, impede, or lessen our 2nd Amendment rights.

As a Florida CCW license holder I support the amendment as it would enable me to carry in New Hampshire, and allow the good citizens in New Hampshire to do the same in Florida... Why would you want a CCW law that didn't provide for reciprocal license recognition? Permitless carry would remain as part of HB 330, but provisions for those that wish to license and carry beyond New Hampshire's borders would be defined.

p.s. An amendment to legislation hardly constitutes "shooting down."

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

In Virginia carrying in either a IWB or OWB and just pulling your cover garmet behind the handle, so it's visible, this is considered open. As long as at least grip is visible, you are open carrying. also called the Virginia tuck.

But, if the LEOS don't know what's legal and what's not legal, whether or not you have a tucked IWB , or an OWB, won't matter as they will detain you either way.

Judge: "How did you determine that the defendant was illegally concealing a weapon?" LEO: "I saw the grip of the weapon." Judge: "If you saw it, it wasn't concealed. Case dismissed."

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by VAPatriot
But, if the LEOS don't know what's legal and what's not legal, whether or not you have a tucked IWB , or an OWB, won't matter as they will detain you either way.

Or they announce they don't care if it's legal and that they will harass you simply because they dont like it:

With a shocking altercation between Philadelphia police and a 25-year-old IT worker putting the spotlight back on open-carry gun laws, local authorities are warning gun owners that they will be "inconvenienced" if they carry unconcealed handguns in the city.link

If the cops can be either too stupid to know or too self righteous and opinionated to not care what is "legal" what faith can we have that there will be any fairness or justice as we climb the harassment ladder from beat cop to review board to judge and jury?

Anything at all that gives these people less of a reason to harass or otherwise bother people going about their day is a plus.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Isn't this also called "constitutional carry"? Either way, good for you guys. I'm waiting for Texas to do the same thing.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Actually I'm surprised Texas wasn't the first to be honest..

I'm sure they are going to follow suit though.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

A lot of states are now instituting similar regulations to Montana's carry laws. Way to go Wyoming! One less state I have to worry about crossing the border to. Too bad Idaho will never adopt this.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
the more liberal states will never have this kind of law. so wouldn't be expecting this ( i live in cali)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Wasnt this bill trying to be passed in south carolina a few months back? Concealed carry w/o permits... I thought i remember reading that on here...

PA just passed the castle doctrine as well... Hoping we will follow suit with Wyoming! Would be nice to have a gun while im driving, just in case, ya never know. I open carry, but dont have a LTCF...

Also to the guy on the bottom of the first page... I dont think this will allow concealed RIFLE carry... I could be wrong, but I think its pistol only...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This is truly a breath of fresh air, well done citizens of Wyoming.

One can only dream of a day where this takes hold through-out America but sadly there are people who hate freedom and/or allow their fear of firearms to consume their intellect... this would be fine in itself, if they did not attempt to strip freedoms and firearms from other Americans.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I looked in to if it applies to rifles and it looks like it depends on the state's definition of a CCW. Some states encompass all firearms in to the bill others it looks like classify it as a handgun or any other easily concealed weapon (boot knives, stun guns, batons, ect not a pocket knife)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Wyoming is an awesome state...even the clouds agree:

It seems like carrying your firearm should be allowed in every state and the fact that it isn't allowed in most of them is amazing to me...150 short years ago a firearm was as common as any piece of clothing and yet here we are today banning guns at almost every turn (well attempting to ban them).

In my opinion this will be one of the issues that breaks the camels back...when guns and gun rights start being taken away from citizens...I can't even imagine anyone stepping in and trying to take the rifles away from my neighbors...Wyoming and Montana are hunting states and for a lot of people here it is meat in the freezer...that won't be taken away easily.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Good news, glad to hear it.
They just signed the Castle doctrine into effect here in PA.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Governor Matt Mead (R) recently signed into law two important self-defense reform bills. Yesterday, March 3, Governor Matt Mead signed Senate File 47, often referred to as “Permitless Carry” legislation. SF 47 was passed by an overwhelming majority in the state Senate and the House. Then today, the Governor signed House Bill 167, “Castle Doctrine” legislation which will strengthen your right to self-defense in your home. Both bills will go into effect on July 1, 2011.

In Wyoming, it is generally legal to carry a firearm openly as long as one is at least 18 years of age and not prohibited from possessing a firearm. However, if the firearm becomes covered with a coat, or if a woman prefers to carry a firearm in her purse, one would need to possess a concealed carry permit. This legislation simply gives people the greatest possible freedom to choose the best method of carry for them, based on attire, gender, and/or physical attributes.

Source

Of course as a Wyoming resident I am absolutely thrilled at this law going into effect the day after tomorrow. I figured with it coming into effect so soon there would be people with thoughts on this.

As of Friday, Wyoming residents will no longer need a Conceal and Carry permit to carry a concealed weapon. Obviously as the state with the lowest population yet the highest per capita gun ownership this would be a good place to start with this little experiment. If it works out (and knowing my state it will) we may just see this go into effect elsewhere.

Do you think this will set a precedent for other states to enact a permitless carry for residents?

Personally I hope laws like these spread like wildfire...
edit on 29-6-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/29/2011 by Mirthful Me because: EX Tags.

Can you suggest a Realtor?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I have always felt that the 2nd amendment and the natural laws granted to man by God was my concealed carry permit, although it is very easy and painless to get one here in Virginia. Way to go Wyoming... this is great news and hopefully other states will employ common sense and follow their lead.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Good to hear. That is on top of the right to self defense law that Governor Corbett of Pennsylvania signed. I'm so sick of hearing all the negative crap that TPTB and politicians are doing to us. Nice to hear a string of good news

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Wow.... I am going to melt down my shiny silver NRA coin tomorrow, and make a silver bullet out of it. Might come in handy if I meet a werewolf or vampire, if not, it will still be cool to have a silver bullet.

Congrats to wyoming for affirming that "shall not be infringed" part that people seem to totally ignore these days.
edit on Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:29:45 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
your so lucky being in Wyoming for this, I'm excited for you. I wish I could move there, how is the unemployment rate there?
If I wasnt tied into this mortgage, I would move there in a flash.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I think its fine in a small state like Wyoming with sparse population. I know it used to be quite normal in rural areas to carry a weapon in the open.

Only since the elite needed to talk Americans into using mind expanding drugs through the music industry and partying, (which only made the rich richer), have there been drug wars and gang violece in rural areas as well. There has always been such in cities.

No, I do not want to see it spread like wildfire. Not in these tough times. Not with more and more junkies out there. Nope.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Congratulations! And welcome to the club! I am an Arizona native and couldn't be happier. When I was little I asked my dad why normal people couldnt carry guns under their shirts but bad people could. I guess I was on to something. Eventhough we don't need a permit to carry a concealed weapon here in Az, I still suggest taking a course on concealed carry. I got my permit about 3 months ago and the class I took was well worth it. You learn how to use your head first and your weapon last, and the laws surrounding self defense. Be safe and enjoy your freedom!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

As another Wyoming resident, I say 'bout time! Not that I need to hide a derringer in a boot or anything but when I'm in grizzly country, which pretty much means out the back door, I shouldn't have to worry if my firearms are under a coat or not. And I think having the police or government personnel being the only ones having the right to bear arms isn't a good idea. Tyranny is why we created this country, and we gave the right to the citizenry to bear arms to help keep us free from tyranny, be it from outside or inside the country. Being responsible with the arms is crucial. But good gun control to me means me knowing how to control my own guns, not someone else controlling them.

edit on 30-6-2011 by jaxnmarko because: double negative

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join