It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea assumes presidency of U.N. arms control conference

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Once again the lines between dimensions are colliding. Sometimes I feel like I'm actually living "Fringe" when I see stuff like this.

It's all very warped.

And once again, just shows how corrupt and incompetent the UN actually is.

It'd probably be easier to get a Chair on one of the commitees then get a job as a Security Officer there.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
The United Nations : America's giant joke on the world!

The UN is run by America to keep all you stupid countries busy while we take your crap.

Effin idiots. All of you would be better served by not serving the UN...America's joke on the world.

edit on 29-6-2011 by mike_trivisonno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

mabey some one should have told that to france in ww2 and it might have gone better
(kidding)

i honestly dont know what to think of this i think i feel part of my brain breaking by the illogical nature of it some where a vulcan just died hearing about this....like another poster allready said why dont we put china in charge of human rights or put pol pot in charge of investigating acts of genocide i wonder if crazy things like this happend when rome was going down?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm wondering what other countries think of North Korea. Maybe they got the position because other governments of the world don't see them in the same light as the US. Our propaganda engine could just be giving them a bad name in the western world when everyone else is cool with them. Its not like our government hasn't vilified regimes in the past that didn't deserve it. For that matter it's not like our government also hasn't helped to manufacture coups of democratically elected officials that weren't friendly to our government or US companies. You have to look at both sides of the coin.
edit on 29-6-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
I'm wondering what other countries think of North Korea. Maybe they got the position because other governments of the world don't see them in the same light as the US. Our propaganda engine could just be giving them a bad name in the western world when everyone else is cool with them. Its not like our government hasn't vilified regimes in the past that didn't deserve it. For that matter it's not like our government also hasn't helped to manufacture coups of democratically elected officials that weren't friendly to our government or US companies. You have to look at both sides of the coin.
edit on 29-6-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

Interesting take on it and a definite possibility.

The US doesn't have as many friends as they once did.

Makes me think.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The Conference on Disarment is not an executive body. It's a forum where members discuss and possibly negotiate treaties. The President has no executive powers. Being the President of the Conference doesn't allow North Korea to modify treaties or have a say on UN's resolutions governed by a totally different body. The President is a kind of host who conducts the debates.

The Conference on Disarment is not an enforcer of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons that NK has broken. NK isn't exactly defying the CD that didn't exist at the time the NPT was ratified.

When discussing arms at world scale, you want to bring NK to the table. The CD is a place for states to meet and discuss. There is a need for a place like that even if it doesn't always lead to solutions and consensus.

NK is a member and apparently has the Presidency in virtue of automatic rotation, I can't see the problem. NK is a member of the Conference by will, they are not obliged, not all states are member of the CD. There are no lesser members, no state would accept that.

The UN Watch executive director perfectly knows how the CD and the UN works. The Human Rights Council has resolutions and actually some power, the General Assembly can suspend a HRC member as it was the case this year with Lybia. It's a very different organ than what the CD is, a discussion place with no power, it's a meeting place. It's odd he talks about conflict of interests when every member of the Conference have issues or concerns with arms since it's exactly what it's all about and NK can't make any decision alone as a President.
"No system should tolerate such a fundamental conflict of interests" : no state would accept to be a lesser member, it's a negociation forum so every state is on an equal footing. What's an alternative system ? To ban NK ? Well that would be the exact opposite of the mainspring of it which is to bring the main players to discussion and negociate.

UN Watch is a private lobby watching over private interests, seen as pro-Israel and fighting Israel enemies.
North Korea is part of a group of countries who is constantly trying to shift focus on Israel issues to avoid being the focus particularly at the HRC.

That is my understandong of this UN Watch stunt.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
Every nation that has nuclear weapons has broken the nuclear proliferation treaty and told to world to get stuffed as it does what it wants.

I agree with you here. I cannot fathom how we can say to other countries "You cannot have nuclear weapons" when we have an arsenal that could blow the world to the outer reaches of the universe. If creating/having nuclear weapons is wrong, it's wrong. Pure and simple. I don't buy the argument that countries like North Korea are run by lunatics who cannot be trusted. Umm... Who's invading and bombing countries left and right, right now??? (Depleted uranium, anyone?)

The whole concept of the have's keeping it away from the have-not's is so akin to the elites keeping money and power away from the elite-nots. Don't you think? It all boils down to power and money. It always does.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Once again, the UN proves that it has no credibility.

When they do things like this the rest of the world has to wonder why anyone continues to fund this stupidity.

Third line.

Because nothing in the UN happens unless its most powerful member (the US) wants it to happen. This allows us to more or less rule the world (with varying degrees of effectiveness) while pretending to have a veneer of international pluralism.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Manouche

Despite all the garbage that can flow through these forums at times, occasionally there are posts by people who know what they are talking about and your post is one of them.
to deny ignorance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join