It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea assumes presidency of U.N. arms control conference

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
In the latest ‘you’ve got to be kidding’ news from the United Nations, North Korea assumed the presidency of the U.N.’s Conference on Disarmament Tuesday.
old.news.yahoo.com...
dailycaller.com...
uk.news.yahoo.com...

“Bare months after the U.N. finally suspended Libya’s Col. Muammar Qaddafi from its Human Rights Council, North Korea wins the propaganda coup of heading the world’s disarmament agency,” the executive director of UN Watch Hillel Neuer said in a statement protesting the move. “It’s asking the fox to guard the chickens, and damages the U.N.’s credibility.”

Not sure what to make of this actually.

How is this even possible? If it is indeed a rotation issue, shouldn't N. Korea have been pulled from the rotation on the grounds of not following the rules laid out in the first place?

It’s common sense that a disarmament body should not be headed by the world’s arch-villain on illegal weapons and nuclear proliferation, notorious for exporting missiles and nuclear know-how to fellow rogue regimes around the globe.”

They have repeatedly been warned and condemned for tests and development and now are at the head of the very body that they defy?

WTH?

Am I missing something here? Is there any justifiable reason to put this Nation at the helm?

edit on 29-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Once again, the UN proves that it has no credibility.

When they do things like this the rest of the world has to wonder why anyone continues to fund this stupidity.

Third line.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
hahaha this is nuts, why dont they make china the ambassodor for human rights....

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
those who feel involved are more likely to join in

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
Once again, the UN proves that it has no credibility.

When they do things like this the rest of the world has to wonder why anyone continues to fund this stupidity.

Third line.
You said it all right there Wildbob.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't know whether to troll / laugh or cry!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
How clever. Seriously! What better way to be able to justify a complete attack on N. Korea than to give them this much control. They will not be able to resist the temptation to abuse this position and when (not if) they do...WHAMMO!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What better way of making country's surrender they guns ,"give us your guns, or we will nuke South Korea". How many nations would believe this?; or do just that, surrender there weapons?.
H.R.C. SecOS must be drooling right now "Oh yes we can make the people finely give up there arms" Is this Obama's plan? The one " below radar"?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Every nation that has nuclear weapons has broken the nuclear proliferation treaty and told to world to get stuffed as it does what it wants. It is just part of being a nuclear armed nation. As for North Korea presiding over arms control it did come as a bit of a shock. At least they know one end of a gun from the other. Not really sure what to make of it, but I would expect them to follow the rules now they are accepting responsibility for them.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

WTF??? Wouldn't this be like having the SS investigate Auschwitz?

All in favor of throwing the UN out the door raise your hand...

/raises hand
edit on 29-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

That is like putting a fox in hen house to guard from other foxes and thinking it will not eat one, NK will abuse this just wait and see.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

can one put up two hands oh wait that is if you surrender, ok just one hand up.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by Xcathdra

can one put up two hands oh wait that is if you surrender, ok just one hand up.

2 hands are permissable, provided the middle finger on bothhands are being utilised while the remaning fingers are kept low. This is done to avoid confusion with a surrender

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by jude11

WTF??? Wouldn't this be like having the SS investigate Auschwitz?

All in favor of throwing the UN out the door raise your hand...

/raises hand
edit on 29-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Great analogy.

I have my hand up.

This is seriously a ??? moment in time.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
How clever. Seriously! What better way to be able to justify a complete attack on N. Korea than to give them this much control. They will not be able to resist the temptation to abuse this position and when (not if) they do...WHAMMO!

Interesting scenario.

Perhaps it's a ploy to bring N.Korea to reign? If they are the head, they must lead by example...?

Sorry, couldn't say that without laughing.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imhotepsol
reply to post by jude11

I don't know whether to troll / laugh or cry!

You can do all...as long as it's on topic!

I just can't wrap my head around this one.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Simple because the majority of the worlds leaders if not all are in it together, sabre rattling at times, getting a kicking like Iraq, Afghanistan n Libya.......politics, religion and war are all good at making money at the expense of us life season ticket holders Joe Nobody's.

Wolfie

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
Simple because the majority of the worlds leaders if not all are in it together, sabre rattling at times, getting a kicking like Iraq, Afghanistan n Libya.......politics, religion and war are all good at making money at the expense of us life season ticket holders Joe Nobody's.

Wolfie

True,

Makes me wonder tho.

Libya is accused of Human Rights Abuses and dropped from the Council...then in comes the cavalry so to speak.

North Korea has been accused over and over again against Nuclear tests and development and now are at the head of the very body that they defy?

Kind of two-faced IMO.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Think about it, Libya is getting the sharp end of the stick to help supplement the recent government overthrows that have happened in that general area and I guess help to propel the tsuami of unhappy (dictated to people) of nearby countries doing the same aka Syria, Iran.

North Korea if they are given or now have the presidency are been brought onside / into the fold, no point having a uprising in NK like what has happenend in Egypt, Tunisia and now Syria, Libya etc....where would it spread to....China, USA.......nah those boys sit on the top table so it does not happen.

(dictated to people) Below the elite we all are sadly.

Wolfie

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
reply to post by jude11

Think about it, Libya is getting the sharp end of the stick to help supplement the recent government overthrows that have happened in that general area and I guess help to propel the tsuami of unhappy (dictated to people) of nearby countries doing the same aka Syria, Iran.

North Korea if they are given or now have the presidency are been brought onside / into the fold, no point having a uprising in NK like what has happenend in Egypt, Tunisia and now Syria, Libya etc....where would it spread to....China, USA.......nah those boys sit on the top table so it does not happen.

(dictated to people) Below the elite we all are sadly.

Wolfie

I can't see the comparison between the two.

N. Koreans would not even attempt an uprising as they have been crushed under foot their entire lives. Starvation, prison camps etc.

Libyans have had it good in comparison. Food, jobs, medical, education, housing etc. (Not according to all the propaganda tho)

The only uprising capable of happening in N. Korea would be all out war against the South.

IMO

top topics

<<   2 >>

join