It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannon Pulled From Mystery Shipwreck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Artifacts from a mystery shipwreck about 200 years old pulled from underwater off the coast of St. Augustine are revealing details about the nation's past.

I know this isn't ancient history but I thought this was interesting enough to post.

While it's believed the ship may be British, American or Spanish, the true origin of objects found on board, including a second cannon, pewter spoons and copper cookware, remain a mystery, making it anyone's guess

Jacksonville News

I hope they come across something that gives information as to whose ship it was.

"I have a feeling that maybe this is a British loyalist vessel, so kind of a refugee vessel that was taking British loyalists during the American Revolution from other colonies down here to Florida, which was still a loyal British colony," Meide said.

Now the American revolution is my favorite part of history, and I have done a fair share of reading about it and have never heard of this part of history, and this is what grabbed my attention about the article.
This shows another side of history that is rarely shown, that during the revolution there were British sympathizers, and colonies still loyal to Britain. Behind the likes of Paul Revere and John Adams, this information is rarely portrayed, but as much as 25% of colonists, or Tories, backed the British.Including the Native American tribes.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Thats really cool. I know Blackbeard's ship was just found, but these are two different stories. This is just another mystery in the world of lost history.

new topics

join