It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einsteins lights banned.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
To celebrate the year of physics the country was to unite by shining light into the night sky. This has now been banned under the guise of light pollution which i think is laughable and i think there is another reason.
Any ideas people.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

He said: "Some complaints were merely abusive and appeared to be based on ignorance.

"But others were more thoughtful and pointed out that although the scheme would not affect astronomical observations, it could set a bad precedence, for example to commercial organisations that might wish to illuminate the night sky with advertising."

Seems that the average person may see something if the sky was illuminated with light. Imagine looking up and seeing the word Microsoft illuminated in large letters. That would be shocking. Amateur astronomers that don't know about the event could call in and say somethings weird happening; hence, flooding the observatories with phone calls.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yeah but surely amatuar astronomers would be aware of somethin like this i mean it would obviously be on the news if this was gonna happen i just think they are going a bit to far trying to stop this.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

However, a group called the Campaign for Dark Skies has called the plan irresponsible.

"It is ironic that they plan to celebrate physics by destroying the view for astronomers," astronomer Darren Baskill of Leicester, England, told BBC News Online.

This is probably the reason. With the amount of light directed up at the night sky astronomers won't be able to get a good look at the night sky. It is only for one day, and I do think the astronomers are over-reacting.

Astronomers oppose Einstein 'light relay'

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Yeah same here i think they are over reacting after all it is only one night. Sods law as it is though somethin out of this world will probably happen in the skys that night and we will never know as all astronomers will be outside shinig their pencil maglights into the sky

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Maybe thier afraid who might see all the light. Dont want to be sending the wrong signals.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
well all themeparks shine light into the sky everyday........so why cant these people do it for just one night damn...........this astronomers think they are way better then everyone else..........i mean its not like they dont get all the other 355 days in the year to look up at the sky and their entire lifetimes those greedy people........if i knew who they were i would annoy them till they move

top topics

join