It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreams - how much they can tell us? The unused part of the brain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The claim that we use only 10% of our brain is considered urban legends, that there is no such thing and that we use 100% of it. It is explained by a fact that I agree with - that at any given moment you don't use the brain at 100%, you use one part of it, another part of it for something else and so on, always a portion of the brain but you still use all just at different times different parts. While I agree with that, I still think there are parts of the brain we never use or we don't know how to use.Dreams are one of it. What is the SCIENTIFIC explanation of events that we dream and later happen for real? What is the explanation of dreaming a place you've never been to or seen, then you see it and remember you have dreamed it? What kind of casuality is this? I don't think it is casuality as much as it is getting 'science fiction'. It cannot be a coincidence to have many cases of dreaming future.

For instance, I had a case where I had to stay in Germany for some time in a Gym, what has once been used as a gym. Years before really going there, I had dreamed the exact same corridors and exact same places inside it that this gym had. And when I actually went to this place years later, it looked familiar, I had this feeling and it was my first time going abroad at all.

I had two very evident cases of going to hiking in our country with my family and a week or two before going I dreamed a plain from which I was descending on my way back, another places like a slope and a path passing through a steep cliff, from where you can see the rest of the mountains. I was never to this place before and when I actually went there, I did pass through the same plain that I dreamed, then the cliff with the view. I was NEVER before to that place.

I've had cases where dreams would come true, where I would use them as a tool for knowing what would happen in the future, even for finding something I lost - dreams have given me the idea for places to look etc. I've had nightmares like any other from murderies, deaths to someone chasing you, etc.

I decided to start a research about how plausible they can be by making notes on some. For now I gave up on making notes on dreams related to places or conversations (I call them Level 1 Dreams) but I started making notes on dreams that felt very real, I felt them like in reality, and are of more sensible topic - UFOs and cataclysms (I call them Level 2 Dreams). I haven't experienced them yet but I wonder having in mind places I see in the future- Are they presenting real events or is it all just an expression of emotional state? /I had these long before I started reading about UFOs, conspiracies or visiting ATS/

2007. I'm standing alone outside near our center in my city. It's night and
very dark. What I see around is grounded buildings everywhere, some ruins are still on fire.
Our mountain is an active volcano, lava is flowing down the peak. I feel fear.

2007. I'm on a sandy beach, it's daytime, I decide to enter the sea. The sea has no water, just sand and dry/dead algae lying on the ground. I continue walking further from the beach and there is no water, only slightly wet sand and algae. I look back at the beach to see how far I am and I still see sand from the beach to me where water is supposed to be present.

2007. I'm at my villa, daytime. What I see on the north where the downtown and the city is supposed to be in the lower altitude, it is one big lake or sea, all buildings are underwater. The water somehow reaches the altitude of our villa and we hike upper in the mountain to avoid the rising water.

2007. I'm standing outside at a grassy square with buildings around very much like the university campus in Montana, USA where I've been. It's night. I'm watching the night sky and I see a very bright white-yellow light coming from the sky. It later turns into a falling meteor. As it hits the ground, a massive shockwave is released that causes strong wind and blows me away from where I am standing. I see myself blown by the shockwave, about to collide with a building. The feeling inside the dream is very real.

2008. I'm at home where I am now. It is night. I hear some strange sound from outside. I look at the window and I see green lights in the sky. Then I recognize something like a spaceship, more than one craft appears.

18.03.2011. I'm in my city, outside, it's dusk or early morning. I see a light orb in the sky. I want to take the camera and record it but I miss it. Then during the day me, my family are outside the city, hiking on some rocky mountain place. We all see a light orb again, this time I record it and I have brought my binoculars too. Next we see 2-3 missiles (like the ones used for launching a shuttle in space) launched into the sky, like
against something flying in the sky.

7.04.2011. I record with a digital camera a greyish orb with light in the sky. The sky is cloudy. Then I want to show the record to someone and see again what I have recorded.

24.04.2011. Someone I do not see gives me the ability to use other parts of my brain that allow me to do things I generally cannot. I am able to fly without wings, or move to any place I want, create fire out of my hand and even destroy a person by just using my mind. In the dream I feel I have more power than others who don't have these abilities. The places where I apply these abilities are in are in the forest, in the mountains.

4.05.2011. I just enter what appears to be the Denver Int. Airport (I've been to it before) and I immediately start looking for the murals and time capsule that I am already aware of. I notice the mural with the masked man holding the gun. I look around to see if someone has a camera or anything to take pictures. I see my brother and my cousin, my brother having a camera with him. I don't find the capsule
or all of the objects on the first floor and I climb up the escalator that goes to the upper floor. ...

17.05.2011. While sleeping in my bed and the night sky can be seen from a part of the window
without a curtain, in my dream I see some strange pink-red lines in the sky (like symbols) like a text but they
are neither recognizable letters, nor any known symbols. They appear like many random lines.
When waking up I feel some tension or pressure in my brain.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Yep dreams...studied them for over five years...
...there are three basic types...historical, emotional, interpersonal...
...and there is a very easy way to understand what they mean.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I dont have historical, I have futuristic, like dreaming future places, I dont think there is a logical explanation given of what we know about them so far... How does the brain know to give the same picture in your head to a place you've never seen? Many of the dreams are simply represeinting some state of yours and I do not mention them as I know what they are, but these here to me are something a lot more and with some truth whatever it means I dont find it logical explanation.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I've had plenty of weird dreams. But, I also notice that a lot of my dreams include things that I have seen or heard during the day before bedtime. So, that leads me to believe dreams really mean nothing. At least not mine and I am glad for that. I have too many bad dreams.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Dreams are symbolic sentances...
...if you know how you can convert the symbols into words...
...and read them back as sentances...
...it's the way your brain records stuff and talks...seriously.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ok explain how over twenty cases you dream places you never saw yet they exist and you later see them, in most cases we are talking about they look the same way, not something totally different. I don't think you have any good explanation, all im claiming to say is, there could be something in dreams that we don't understand and can be related to abilities we have but are not understood since the brain isn't too well studied either...there are lots we dont know about it.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

Yes I have had dreams describing future things too...
...cool eh?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Can you tell us how to read our dreams then?....please

I can t remember most of mine, any reason for that which you know of?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I am not disputing that some people have dreamnt of a place or event before it happens. I believe what you claim truely happened for you. There really is no way I can disprove it and have desire to. But I also believe a lot of people can have dreams that really do not mean anything. I am one of those people. The only dreams I have had that could mean something is when I dream of my deceased grandparents and long lost pets. I take it has their way of letting me know they still think of me or that they know visiting me in my dreams will help me with my grieving.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
Yes I have had dreams describing future things too...
...cool eh?

So? am I saying 'look at me I have extraordinary powers'? Im saying dreams may be part of the things we can do with our brain we dont understand, as we dont fully understand all that goes on in the brain. Hell you made yourself the most knowlegdable and competent person about dreams.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer84

You must prepare before you go to sleep...
...tell yourself you will wake while still dreaming...
...allow consciousness to recall as much of the dream as you can...
...and then wake and write down everything you can remember immediately...
...you will get better at it with practice.

Write the dream into the left side of a lined book...
...leaving the right side blank...
...write down all you can remember in phrases...
...one idea/symbol per line.

Don't worry if some of the symbols seem disturbing...
...the dreaming brain has a sense of humor that will often surprise you...
...or a combination of symbols that when spoken phonetically sound like something else.

Once you have written down all you can recall leave it until you have quiet time.

Go through each phrase you have written one line at a time...
...free associate with the symbol and write alternative words on the opposite page...
...a thesaurus can be helpful (dream dictionaries can be misleading)...
...it is more important to describe what the symbol means to you...
...rather than take an idea from another interpretive source.

When you have completed this for each line...
...go back and underline or highlight the most likely alternate word...
...then go through and read all the highlighted words as a sentance.

At first much of what you read may have profound emotional impact...
...often connecting you to past traumatic experiences, attitudes, humiliations...
...but eventually you will have dreams that catelogue entire attitudes to life events...
...I once had one that symolically layed out my evolving views about death...
...from my earliest conscious reflection until the present...
...and none of it was obvious until processed.

Eventually you can become so adept at the process...
...that you can have dreams and compose the sentences on the fly...
...although I still have dreams so cryptic that it takes time to unravel them...
...often with amazing insights in the end into people, circumstances and relationships...
...that I have missed in normal conscious life.

Don't get caught up in the esoteric mumbo-jumbo...
...understanding your dreams should be about grounding insight, releasing emotion baggage...
...reviewing crippling or limiting attitudes and such...
...not some mysterious new age stuff...enjoy.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

Did you ever consider that perhaps, when yo have a dream about something and you wake up remembering it, then later you go to a location that resembles that location that in fact you are not seeing the exact place in your dream? But in fact your brain is connecting dots where similarities may be, and at that moment the line between actual memory and reality becomes blurred.

I read a study a few weeks ago that said a persons memory can lie to them. What this was stating was that when you are young and have an event unfold, and then grow up you forget the "real" detail and your brain throws in fake detail. So that when someone asks that person what happened at a certain time in their past they will recall it inaccurately even though they are the ones who experienced it.

One of the examples if I can remember was, they asked people about something that happened in their life, and they asked that persons relatives as well, they then set the person p with a falsehood. Because they couldn't remember they perceived the falsehood as reality and brainwaves showed they truly believed it.

This may be the case with premonition dreams. We have a dream about a place or thing, and as we go through our waking lives toward the epiphany our brains are slyly and secretively feeding our memory with things that are close to what the dream was about, then at the point we have enough information we associate that place or thing with our dream and honestly believe it to be accurate.

Hope I'm making sense.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

You make sense but I have a good memory and I remember details, im frm those who pay more attention to details. Well, I cannot say if a place I dream is to the last rock or object the same, but fact is - I dream a plane, wheter it has a house in the dream and when I go it doesnt, or a cliff that has a tree on it and when I go it doesn't it still shows a place you visit in the future because you don't know your path will pass through a plane or cliff with that view. And here Im talking about quite accurate between the dream and the actual going - I have other cases of future places dreaming but these were more accurate. It's like 80% the same place like few things may be different but overall the same.

Hah controlling dreams would be interesting that's why Im saying if we really have some other things we can do we don't know of. Most of the dreams dont make any sense but some do.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

I agree with everything you are saying im just looking for alternatives.

One being Deja vu. A person can swear on their life it is something they have witnessed or seen before, but is actually the result of a misfiring of chemicals in the brain, where information goes to memory before being processed by the brain.

According to the science I have read this is a similar issue with precog dreams. Though the difference is that a person has no idea that what they think is accurate is in fact not accurate at all.

It has something to do with the same concept of emotions being more powerful in a dream. things in a dream are funnier, or scarier, or you have emotions tied to something that is incorrect, like being emotionally in love with a fishing pole that in your mind is both a fishing pole and also a woman at the same time. This is an incorrect mental state yet your brain perceives it as accurate while experiencing it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Very interesting topic!
I read that dreams are a preview of what you are creating with your thoughts.
A glimpse of whats to come.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think dreams are can relate to future - either directly by dreaming things that can happen as some dreams are quite real and are presenting real things. Dreams that don't make sense are too illogical are just symbolic to something.

The reason why I think there is something with the dreams and are not just imagination, is I support the idea that we don't use 100% of our brain. Those who are on that opinion say - then why do we forget things? Why do we dream things?

Have you ever had cases where you are looking for something, say you lost it, and a dream gives you an idea where to look for - now such dream is quite related to something you were thinking about but, anyway? I've had, im not saying I count on dreams because they are as uncertain as anyon else's but I do take into account some of them. And dreams have helped me with feelings and even finding things. Good dreams often come true, and I do believe this is more than imagination. It's too shallow to say it is just imagination...

As I've had dreams of places I later see, I'm thinking that those dreams I described are also something that may happen in the future and that's what disturbed me in these cataclysmic dreams.. and now we hear speculations about cataclysms... well when you take into account dreaming places that you later see, and these places show some disaster and you hear about it on the news or wherver (after having dreamed that and not influenced by TV), you start thinking something may happen. You have to experience it to believe of a possiblity - notice Im saying possibility, I dont think that anything would happen as a Clock on 21st Dec 2012, like disasters occur unexpectedly, not by the clock.

Just wanna say that these dreams with disasters, I felt in them like you feel at the moment and during the day if such think really happened.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

top topics

join