It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain: Police Break Into Homes; Lecture People About Burglary Risks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Britain: Police Break Into Homes; Lecture People About Burglary Risks

cryptogon.com

COPS are breaking into homes in a dramatic bid to highlight the risk of being a victim of burglars.

Police from Fortune Greens Safer Neighbourhood Team in West Hampstead, north London, are climbing through windows left open to alert residents to the sinister threat.

Officers are carrying out the mock raids in a high-profile initiative to slash the number of burglaries.

They are committing break-ins across their patch, locking up the property and leaving a calling card to notify the stunned owner that they were there.

A young woman on her own was startled when a uniformed cop stroll
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Sound far fetched?

Well here's the official met website for Operation Poppins
So it appears that the Police are above the law - it's perfectly OK for them to break into your house (and doubtless have a little nosy around) in the name of "security"

So if your window is open, make sure your music or TV is LOUD, so that these new burglars know you are at home.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with raising awareness, but for me, this is a step too far.

cryptogon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29/6/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Definitely a step too far!

It would be like stabbing someone and then telling them they should've had the hindsight to wear a kevlar vest lol.

In all seriousness though, I can see that their intentions are probably soundly based but the execution is wrong, so wrong...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

If they can get in my window they can have not only my TV but I'll also make them a cup of tea as I live on the 6th floor of a block and the only way in or out is the front door ( which I never leave open ).
And how long before a home owner attacks one of them thinking their a real burglar? I wonder if they'd get arrested for it?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
You would get killed here trying to pull that in my city.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

You could safely bet a million they'd get arrested for it!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
reply to post by budski

And how long before a home owner attacks one of them thinking their a real burglar? I wonder if they'd get arrested for it?

I'd imagine that they announce themselves rather loudly, although the officer in the quote from the woman watching TV didn't seem to.

yes, there's a risk - I would think that some would come over a bit deaf just for the opportunity of getting in a quick dig.

Whatever, it is ILLEGAL for them to enter your premises without permission, unless they have a warrant - no doubt they are using some version of concern for the safety of the occupant, but that is just twisting the law in order to abuse it.

It's too much.

Maybe they should concentrate on actually CATCHING burglars rather than just filling out a form for your insurance company.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I remember seeing a similar story a few years back about cars.

Police Steal From Cars

The stunning part of this story was they actually DID steal your items and took them to a police station!!!

""If they find valuables on display they will try to find the owner nearby, but if they cannot they will take the goods to Twickenham police station. Drivers who leave their car unlocked but with nothing on display will get a letter telling them to be more careful.""

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Officers are carrying out the mock raids in a high-profile initiative to slash the number of burglaries.

Couldn't they just investigate burglaries to slash the number of burglaries?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some kind of psychological conditioning experiment along the lines of when the police commit a crime it's to help you but anyone else doing it is criminal. So part of the police's job now is to commit crimes.

Makes me wonder what bit exactly in law says a police officer (without a warrant) can break in somewhere where as no-one else can.

Edit: I see budski has written more or less the same....
edit on 29-6-2011 by DrHammondStoat because: .

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This is a complete violation of privacy, a disgusting violation. What if one of their break in's cause an eldaly person a heart attack?
Also, if you where a burgler and you seen this, the first thing you would think is, "i need to get myself a police uniform"

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

Makes me wonder what bit exactly in law says a police officer (without a warrant) can break in somewhere where as no-one else can.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there is a law that if the officers are concerned for your safety they can enter your premises without a warrant.

Quite how this translates into burgling your home is beyond me.

I'm sure one or more of our esteemed members can tell us more about it.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
That is completely illegal! I would like to see them climb up 16 stories to an open balcony, though.
That is one good thing about renting an apartment... lol.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Probably the start of a police initiative to get the public used to police simply bursting in to your home when they want and without probable cause.
Or am I being too paranoid?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Probably the start of a police initiative to get the public used to police simply bursting in to your home when they want and without probable cause.

Well, I know for a fact Police (or some of them) lie all the time about probable cause - most of the officers I know simply see it as something that they have to get around rather than something they have to work with.

Like when they stop someone who they think looks a "bit dodgy"

"Excuse me sir, we've had a report of xxx happening, and the person matches your description"

9 times out of 10, the description is completely different, but of course once they stop you, and you give consent, they can search you.
You can actually refuse a search, but chances are they'll arrest you for obstruction.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Well, I know for a fact Police (or some of them) lie all the time about probable cause - most of the officers I know simply see it as something that they have to get around rather than something they have to work with.

Like when they stop someone who they think looks a "bit dodgy"

"Excuse me sir, we've had a report of xxx happening, and the person matches your description"

9 times out of 10, the description is completely different, but of course once they stop you, and you give consent, they can search you.
You can actually refuse a search, but chances are they'll arrest you for obstruction.

ACK! I guess I must look a "bit dodgy" lol, exact same thing happened to me and I heard the description given over the police radio, exact polar opposite of me... did they immediately let me go on my way? Nope, searched me, went through my wallet, took my details etc etc....

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This story is insane! Police breaking into homes with out a warrant in order to "help" people be aware of the dangers of burglary? I have a bad feeling some of you are right about this being conditioning to get citizens used to police being above the law. If I caught anyone breaking into my house, they would get shot and killed on the spot. Especially if they are police.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Hopefully they will see how retarded it is when one of the pigs gets mauled by a dog although the more likely outcome is that they will force the dog to be put down for doing nothing wrong.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The thing is, how would they react if we defended our property? Like the recent burgular who was killed with his own knife by the home owner??

If this happened in Leeds, the West Yorkshire police force numbers would be greatly reduced!!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Life imitating art:

Spongebob Squarepants Season 1: The Hall Monitor

SpongeBob: On patrol. I’m on patrol. (notices a house with an open window) Uh-oh, an open window. (peeks through the window and there is a couple eating) Vera: More seaweed medley, dear?

SpongeBob: The fools. They’ve left themselves susceptible to danger. I must show them the error of their ways through example. (jumps through the window and onto their table in a ski mask) I’m the open window maniac! (both run out screaming) I hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson! (shuts the window and begins walking again) On patrol. I'm on patrol. I'm on patrol...

spongebob.wikia.com...(transcript)
-----------------------------------------

Comedic folly turned into practical reality by the authorities..... Except instead of being funny, now it's tragic. And of course I fully expect shortly after the kinks are sorted out in the UK we'll be seeing this in the states too.... after all, that seems to be the pattern.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
When I read this story I thought "this is an example of why big government doesn't work" rather than telling people to arm themselves and protect themselves from burglars, because that would be illegal, cops have to "break in" in order to--what? Remind people to lock their doors and windows? How easy is it to get through a window? How about breaking a door down? (cops do it all the time), and people still can't defend themselves. Only in merry ol' England does this happen. So long as the cops break in at the same time the burglars try to come in, maybe then the home owner will be safe, unless there is a law that says police can't attack burglars (which I wouldn't be surprised).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join