It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cost of US wars since 9/11? At least $3.7 trillion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Cost of US wars since 9/11? At least $3.7 trillion

www.msnbc.msn.com

224,000 people have died directly from warfare and 7.8 million people have been displaced

NEW YORK — When President Barack Obama cited cost as a reason to bring troops home from Afghanistan, he referred to a $1 trillion price tag for America's wars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Staggering as it is, that figure grossly underestimates the total cost of wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan to the U.S. Treasury and ignores more imposing costs yet to come, according to a study released Wednesday.

The final bill will reach at least $3.7 trillion and could be as high as $4.4 trillion, according to the research project "Costs of War" by Brown University's Watson Institute for International Studies.

This story is conveniently laid out with all the bells and whistles...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-6-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Wow...

Nice chuink of the debt could have been paid off.
Our Schools could have looked like something out of startrek
No child left behind could be a reality
Bridges wouldnt be collapsing
People wouldnt be starving

We could be exploring the moon and MArs while building our transmitter to give our reply to the aliens - Yes, we are redy for contact.

Personally, after seeing everything that has been going on with the US since the end of the 40;s up to now, I have noticed one major factor we have lost that we need to find again.

Pride and accomplishment, galaxy sized goals and endeavors.

As of now, we have nothing to look for ward to, to be inspired about, nothing the get our creative jucies flowing again.

We have lost the curisoity, drive and bravery that all 5 years old embrace.

Funny really, since 5 year olds are more happy than adults are.

America needs something to look forward to...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
3.7 trillion paid by us tax payers because of a false flag attack to make ME wars
imagine if that money served in America
.. now its completely wasted
and there a few billion missing in US aid in Irak and Afghanistan
government dont care about that money because its not their
edit on 6/29/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You ain't kidding... Except in this case:

Our Schools could have looked like something out of startrek

Knowing the control freaks in this World we'd have something along the lines of Starship Troopers minus the beetle juice. You watch resources being spent in this capacity, and yeah... It's no wonder the type of individuals continuing to stay on top. We're led by a pack of lies and a series of warlords. I guess these figures are so foreign to folks it's nearly impossible to wrap their minds around. Not enough time in the day as well...
edit on 29-6-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Isn't that half of US depth? and one quarter of US GDP?

That is huge, but like the article said, the upcoming costs are still not counted. Maybe that explains why US backed down from Libya. But some argue it is because US is getting ready for a ground invasion, so taking a back seat until September.

Interesting.

So much could have been accomplished other than war and bloodshed with this money.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

And what's to gain? Well, it's a giant asset grab along with contract service agreements. You also see huge debts with interest attached. At top of the food chain there's financial institutions creating their market products, plays, and ploys.

I have a feeling the "Easy Button" is about to get swapped out with a "Reset Button."

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak
reply to post by Americanist

Isn't that half of US depth? and one quarter of US GDP?

That is huge, but like the article said, the upcoming costs are still not counted. Maybe that explains why US backed down from Libya. But some argue it is because US is getting ready for a ground invasion, so taking a back seat until September.

Interesting.

So much could have been accomplished other than war and bloodshed with this money.

But you understand why the bloodshed right? Diverts attention away from the banking sector.

Our debt stands at $14 trillion and some change. Future obligations pushing that number to over $50 trillion (an estimated $7 trillion loss in Fannie/ Freddie). I wouldn't doubt the GDP is manipulated on a global scale to secure more loans... A facet of perpetual debt.

Better hope this lawsuit works against Obama.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Dawg Nammit... 3trill bro.

I rek'n that money would have been well spent building your nation, building a future.. instead of bankrupting you to wall street.
Thankgod Bush and Cheney were allowed to just walk of the stage..and be forgotten about!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Thankfully this is not a stage you just walk away from... It eventually bites you in the backside. I refer to the Grand Scheme of things.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

US debt is around $14 Trillion dollars right now. Ill try to find the info, but over the last decade monetary wealth of the people has lost about $57 trillion (yes, 57 trillion / fifty seven trillion) through lost jobs, bails outs, inflation, depriciation of the dollar, increase in consumer goods etc etc etc.

I wont even get into the numbers that are needed to fix the US Highway system alone...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I watched in the UK This Week with Andrew Neil, Michael Portillo and MP OOna King a couple of weeks ago. Apparently its not available for watching again. I'm not surprised because I got quite a shock. In essence what was said towards the end of this programme was that the public have no influence over the operation of Government whatsoever. I can't remember the exact words but the MP Oona King even seemed to laugh at this. It was as though all three acknowledged that the UK Government and its minions were part of a totally elevated, albeit servile but separate and unaccountable force. There is level though way higher than the irrating lobbyists

I am not surprised at the 3Trillion$ figure you are looking at as US citizens I expect we have a hefty bill also. No responsible government would engage in all these wars with our levels of debt. So why is it happening?

Life is all staged to maintain two levels of society whereby the smaller preys off the larger at any cost or consequence. Look at the men involved here, both Obama and Cameron have exactly the same attitude. You look at the duplicate image of our two leaders, that same pretty boy, socially acceptable wives and family, we are being sold a 'trustworthy' image. Hopefully today more accountability will start especially if the Greeks have their way. They and their ilk have had too smooth a run on the gravey train.

I'd like to put a little quote from Nathan Rothschild its 1812 but its very much food for thought about wars and financial accountability. It happened when the Charter for his first USA bank came up for renewal and he couldn't get his own way. "Either the Charter is granted, or the United States will find itself involved in a most disasterous war". I'll teach those impudent Americans a lesson and bring them back to Colonial status." After this Britain declared war. Nathan wanted the USA to accrue so much debt his bank would ultimately regain control. Today we are all being shown yet another 'incident' the Taliban are attacking. Could this be a false flag stasged to keep us fighting and the debt increasing. www.iamthewitness.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
After 9/11 the loudest war hawks were the Neocons. The philosophy of these “noble” men allowed them to lie “for the greater good”.

So it was no wonder that Richard Perle, the prince of darkness, and his impish cabal disseminated most of the false war propaganda which lead to the wars. They created a special propaganda and intelligence organisation called the Office of Special Plans. Neocon writers like Charles Krauthammer, William Safire and William Kristol spread these lies. Other journalists picked up the lies and gave them credibility.

The Neocons are not just misguided ideologists who managed to create a common interest between the military industrial complex (MIC) and the Israel lobby. They also have invested much of their own money in those corporations, which turn taxpayers money into weapons.

Many Neocons were members of PNAC. This think tank, long before 9/11, laid out it's plans for US-Empire, militarism and aggressive warfare in the Middle East. They wanted regime change (and at least in one paper also a divided country) in Iraq and wished for the transformation of the US. They outlined, that the fastest way for such an transformation would be a catastrophic and catalyzing event––like a new Pearl Harbor.
home.earthlink.net...

The Neocons openly have made many predictions. Nearly all turned out to be foul. Nonetheless they are still respected pundits who gain much space in the MSM. Not satisfied with the mayhem they have already caused, they want more.
www.foreignpolicyi.org...

Please read the excellent article: Lockheed Stock and two Smoking Barrels - written by Richard Cummings. This article highlights how it were lobbyists and people with invested stock in the MIC, which were the ones most responsible for the wars.

www.expose-the-war-profiteers.org...

Cummings was interviewed about his findings by Scott Horton on antiwar.com/radio. I can highly recommend Scott Horton and his interviews. Horton is always very informed and I find his style very entertaining.
antiwar.com...

One of the highlight of this interview was, that Cummings uncovered correspondence about a committee which existed in the 50s. The committee was called the Committee of the Military Industrial Complex. So in his famous predictive farewell speech Ike may have warned the United States not just from anonymous structures and developments, he may have had this committee and the people in it, in his mind.

Eisenhowers Farewell Address Jan. 1961

edit on 29-6-2011 by Drunkenshrew because: enlarged the most important past of the a bit too long post

edit on 29-6-2011 by Drunkenshrew because: grammar

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
As usually another thread to peddle the liberal and anti-american wares.

Good business lately? I bet. (yawn)

So we just killed a man who had terrorized the world. We've also brought justice to many others who have harmed the world. We removed a man from power that had sickened and raped his own people and most likely was funding terrorism aganist israel. We have broken up a government set on breeding terrorism and unrest in the ME and across the world. We have given people freedom who otherwise would not have it. We have done the right thing even though it was hard and sacrifices would be needed. We have fought for the vulnerable.

So you want freedom without a cost? Freedom ain't free. Doing the right thing ain't cheap. Even ignoring that this study probably exaggerates some things, I realize that the costs are real.

History will see us as the ones who brought freedom and security.

I'm bored. Going elsewhere maybe I'll find something new. Can't talk to a block of cement. :[
edit on 29-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Good business lately? I bet. (yawn)

So we just killed a man who had terrorized the world. We've also brought justice to many others who have harmed the world. We removed a man from power that had sickened and raped his own people and most likely was funding terrorism aganist israel. We have broken up a government set on breeding terrorism and unrest in the ME and across the world. We have given people freedom who otherwise would not have it. We have done the right thing even though it was hard and sacrifices would be needed. We have fought for the vulnerable.

So you want freedom without a cost? Freedom ain't free. Doing the right thing ain't cheap. Even ignoring that this study probably exaggerates some things, I realize that the costs are real.

I'm bored. Going elsewhere maybe I'll find something new. Can't talk to a block of cement. :[
edit on 29-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

So we're labeling now? As usual... Another neoconservative cheerleader present. Watch the New American Century before you spell out LIBERAL AGENDA with your pom-poms.

Then ask yourself this: Is the right thing to do dropping tons of DU over an entire region? How's issuing blatant lies to start war operations? If you haven't researched horizontal drilling, I suggest you check into it. While you're in the mode of learning...

There was a better reason to protect her from exposure: Nayirah, for real name, is the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the U.S., Saud Nasir al-Sabah. Such a pertinent facts might have led to pertinent demands for proof of Nayirah's whereabouts in August and September of 1990, when she said she witnessed the atrocities, as well as corroboration of her charges. The Kuwaiti Embassy was rebuffed by my efforts to interview Nayirah.

www.mindfully.org...

The real cost... Considerably less money went to your family's education. Fortunately, your lip service pays tribute to our MSM. More than makes up for the loss.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The battles that The United States has been battling for the previous few years may never have a final accounting, though a group of scholars have attempted to tally it in a study that has been released by Brown University. Nearly 250,000 have died in the Iran and Afghan conflicts, and the financial costs may reach $4 trillion or even more.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Wars cost American taxpayers almost $4 trillion in past decade. Its so sad to know that the final costs aren’t going to be known for decades, if ever. Aside from costs to American taxpayers, the cost to Iraq and Afghanistan in repairing destroyed infrastructure, caring for people with disabilities and lost income from people who were killed may never be tallied.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
3.7 Trillion

Sad that Congress holds the strings to the purse.

Even sadder is that we sit here complaining and griping about the price.

Did we elect officials who were willing to end the war? Nope

Did we put pressure on Congress to end the war? Nope

Maybe we deserve that 3.7 trillion for not keeping their feet to the fire.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
3.7 Trillion

Sad that Congress holds the strings to the purse.

Even sadder is that we sit here complaining and griping about the price.

Did we elect officials who were willing to end the war? Nope

Did we put pressure on Congress to end the war? Nope

Maybe we deserve that 3.7 trillion for not keeping their feet to the fire.

I would bet the majority are more time consumed with putting food on the table than flaming members of congress. Congress doesn't have a very decent track record anyhow. They've passed what... 15 bills this year? Over a dozen of those were naming landmarks, buildings, or highways along with extending existing bills. They sure have a knack for taking pensions though. That's even after being ousted for exposing their wiener or brought up on some type of embezzlement charge.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Oh good grief!

It's now "anti-American" to point out the cost of ongoing corporate and financial driven wars?

So we just killed a man who had terrorized the world.

I take it you refer to old Osama Bin-dead-long? Terrorised the world? Oh really? I don't seem to remember cowering in fear at any point over the last couple of decades he was supposed to be terrorising me.

We've also brought justice to many others who have harmed the world. We removed a man from power that had sickened and raped his own people and most likely was funding terrorism aganist israel.

That'll be Saddam Hussein I guess? Leader of one of the most westernised and secular states in the ME. Put in power and propped up by western (largely US and UK) governments as a useful ally. Until, that is, he failed in his assigned (and western backed) task of routing the Iranian neighbours. Oh yes, the people of Iraq have benfitted so very much from our help in deposing him!

We have broken up a government set on breeding terrorism and unrest in the ME and across the world.

I do wish you'd be more specific, but I am guessing you mean Gadaffi. In which case, your ignorance of geographics is showing as Libya is not in the Middle East, but is an African state. Like everywhere else, it's another power and resources grab on behalf of the corporations and bankers.

We have given people freedom who otherwise would not have it.

Freedom at the end of a gun is not freedom, neither is the corporate fascism we introduce and the debt we place the people under.

We have done the right thing even though it was hard and sacrifices would be needed. We have fought for the vulnerable.

We? Please leave me out of it! The right thing is NOT to drop DU munitions on people. The right thing is NOT to invade and kill people for corporate and financial greed. Show me one instance where "the vulnerable" have in any way benefitted from US led wars to "free" them!

Once again, what freedom? In every case, we kill thousands, maim and poison many more, and for what? The ones being attacked are no threat to us at all, either financially or militarily, so what exactly do you think justifies mass death and poisoning? History would, I think, see us as the aggressors in every case. Hell, that can be seen right here and now. It sickens me to see my government getting us involved in such madness and the propaganda they pour out to get the public behind it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join