It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France air drops arms to Libya rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
www.straitstimes.com...

PARIS - FRANCE has begun parachuting arms shipments to Berber rebels fighting Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces in the highlands south of Tripoli, the French daily Le Figaro reported on Wednesday.

First thing I have to say comes from the ex-text below. Im not 100% sure what this article is saying is true, but I could easily see France doing this, if they havent already done this earlier.

According to the paper, which said it had seen a secret intelligence memo and talked to well-placed officials, the air drops are designed to help rebel fighters encircle Tripoli and encourage a popular revolt in the city itself.

Anyways, lets see what's in these crates.

The crates hold assault rifles, machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades, it said, and also European-made Milan anti-tank missiles, a powerful addition to the rebel arsenal that can destroy a tank or a bunker. -- AFP

Looks like the rebels have more firepower now. I wonder if these weapons will be used against us in the near future? Did the rebels say they have "al-qaeda" members in their ranks not too long ago?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Hell yea! Milan anti-tank missiles! They better use those wisely man.
But one thing comes to mind. This system requires a skilled operator. Are rebels skilled?

I did see them using all kinds of weapons. From rifles to anti air guns. How do they do this? It's like they mount on any weapons and instantly become adept at firing them. They are good I tell you!
edit on 29-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

This system requires a skilled operator. Are rebels skilled?

I think they may have been learning from military adivsors on the ground in Libya, according to these articles.

www.vancouversun.com...

BENGHAZI, Libya — France, Britain and Italy, whose warplanes are bombing Moammar Gadhafi's military in western Libya, have also put a tiny number of "boots on the ground" in the rebel-held east.

Bani declined to let journalists interview the advisors — about 20 Britons, and ten each from Italy and France — while defence and foreign ministries in London, Paris and Rome refused requests to let AFP report on their work.

www.washingtonpost.com...

The United States and its allies have entered a new stage of involvement in Libya, sending assistance and advisers directly to opposition military forces, which have been unable to break Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi’s stranglehold over much of the country despite help from NATO airstrikes.

Those articles are a month or 2 old, so im guessing NATO could have thrown more stuff into Libya recently.

Edit - I dont know why the last article and my last sentence are bolded, maybe a bug?
edit on 29-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Lets hope they haven't been shown 'how to do it' by the French....

st.

Disclaimer - For those who can't see the comedy. Above video shows Eryx missile system and not the Milan system.

edit on 29-6-2011 by SatoriTheory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory

Lets hope they haven't been shown 'how to do it' by the French....

st.

Disclaimer - For those who can't see the comedy. Above video shows Eryx missile system and not the Milan system.

edit on 29-6-2011 by SatoriTheory because: (no reason given)

French Canadians you probably meant, but i don't blame your ignorance , let's move on.

Seems like Ghadafi's palace and accessorily bunker don't stand a chance with these arms, i can't wait to see the result.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

French Canadians you probably meant, but i don't blame your ignorance , let's move on.

That's why I put the ellipsis at the end of 'by the French....'.
The '...' is called an ellipsis, it means there was more, a deliberate omission of a word. I was making the video 'fit' with the original post for comedy reasons.

Ellipsis

Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the Ancient Greek: ἔλλειψις, élleipsis, "omission" or "falling short") is a series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word in the original text.

You were saying something about 'ignorance'?

Yes, we should move on.

st.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Hell yea! Milan anti-tank missiles! They better use those wisely man.
But one thing comes to mind. This system requires a skilled operator. Are rebels skilled?

When they opened the crates a few Frenchmen fell out! lol. Its safe to say that there are others on the ground with the "rebels" showing them some things.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The rebels are now more equipped than the British Armed Forces it seems....

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I can't wait to find out in 5-10 years that we have been arming the Al-Qaeda all along and now they have top tier weapons. It is stupid of the French to support these guys.

top topics

join