It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor shower on the way.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well there is a huge meteor shower on the way due in 2 days. I wonder if a huge outbreak of flu virus will appear or sars haha. i suspect the paranoid people out there will be taking cover in the next few days haha. It will however be a chance to take some good photos.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hey that's pretty cool. I'll be sure to keep a look out

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
By the sound of it you wont be able to miss it as long as you have clear weather and in a place not polluted by light.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Does anyone know what time in Ontario this will occur. As in Eastern time as opposed to Greenich mean time.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Its always rainy here when cool things are going on in the sky.

And there is a lot of light. I hope I will get to see some good pics.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Does anyone know what time in Ontario this will occur.

Actually, it's already started. The "scout" meteors (thats what I call'em)
have already started showing up. Saw some nice ones last night, and the night before.
The show ramps up towards the end of the week.

Good info here

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well since the subject is mentioned, maybe one of you can help me out. Usually when i see meteors they are just white and pass through the sky high above. However, the other night I was watching and I saw something that was about the same color of orange as a fire or a cigerette but. It was only probably about 200-300 yards above and no bigger then a softball. It came from the north and was going due south. I saw it for about 1-2 seconds, and then it was out of view. Any ideas?

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Already been discussed here...www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just trying to help out, don't mean to be a jerk.

[edit on 10-8-2004 by MacKiller]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Mmmm, yes. I'm going to see the Perseid Meteor Shower on Friday. Supposedly that is its peak but it will continue for about another month.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
If you're in Ontario, just subtract 5 from the GMT. Simple.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I saw about 4 or so this morning. They were somewhat fainter than I expected and difficult to spot because they only last for s split second, though the distance they cover in the sky in the short interval is impressive. I've seen a lot of meteorites and these move the fastest by far of any of seen. Hopefully the show will be better tommorow.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I saw a couple last night and set up my camera to catch some and within minuits the skys went from clear to cloudy

I took some pics the night before on a 16 sec exposure but seemed to be pointing the camera in all the wrong directions. Oh well, maybe tonight and tomorrow will bring some decent pictures.
Anyone else in to astro photography?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I live in tassie (aus) and weve had these type of showers over the last couple of years and man they are trippy as
if you get a clear night pull out the deck chair grab a beer and a blunt sit back and watch the little buggers fly around

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
SouthEastern US has been under cloud cover. Should get a look at the finale, however.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
How would you all feel about merging the two threads on this to make it easier to keep track of discussion?

[edit on 11-8-2004 by astrocreep]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
What time is best to look at these thing? I checked at 4am and just saw the usual crescent moon and a bunch of scattered stars. Nothing spectacular. But I am looking forward to Saturday where Ontario will be celebrating the first anniversary of last years blackout. So I should be able to see a lot of space objects, since I missed my chance during the last blackout to glance up at the night sky.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Hello all, They were suppose to peak between 2am and 5am thrusday morning. Unfortunatly I had one to many beers last night and couldn't get up early enough so I missed out. They should be around for the next few days but it will not be nothing like last night. If anyone was able to get good pics let me know I would like to see them. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
its the fireworks for my birthday!

the universe loves me

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
would b a good thing to c can it b seen in the southern hemisphere?

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sexygeek
would b a good thing to c can it b seen in the southern hemisphere?

I think it was only last week, but keep your eyes peeled. You might get lucky. Also check out www.weather.com... for good days to look up. I suggest clear skies would be great. Nothing can be seen on cloudy days.

new topics

top topics

join