It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sneaky Psychology Of Advertising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Here's some tricks we should all be aware of kiddies.

Some great information guaranteed to make you think twice when you think you need to buy some over priced gadgets again

Those evil, devious men and women in advertising. They may not be out killing and stealing directly, but the techniques they often use are designed to lead you down the path to purchase. Is it fair to associate them with one of the most horrific fictional murderers of all time? Of course not, but that’s the point.

The sensationalism in psychological manipulation is only one aspect. The infographic below by our friends at BuySellAds takes a deeper look at what makes the advertisements we see every day tick

Link

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Imhotepsol

Cruising down the interstate makes me want an ice-cold Coca-Cola!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

Everything makes me wants an ice-cold Coca-Cola, that and Dr Pepper are my 2 biggest weaknesses in life.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Imhotepsol

This is interesting I like the diagram. But nothing new as far as news they have been doing it for years as it shows and probably even more extreme. Every time I go to the movies that damn commercial gets me I always can resist the snack bar till the damn commercial then its a large popcorn and soda lol damn they are good

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

Yeah the informations nothing new but its nice to have it all on a shiny picture. Also even though we know these things when we see them in context to each other we begin to realize the fuller impact advertising has on us. It's not just ad agencies using these types of mind tricks. They can also be quite helpful if we're trying to gain more control over ourselves. The minds a wonderful tool whether we have control of it or not

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Let's go out to the lobby, let's go out to the looby...emmmmm popcorn

LOL I enjoyed this, thanks. I freaken hate commercials, and 6$ socks!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The one about "overstimulating" shoppers so they'd buy more spoke to me.

Now that I live overseas in an area little affected by American chains, I find that I shop more comfortably. I'm okay with taking my time. I don't know what it is, but when I would make my once-a-month Wal-Mart run for the cheapest cleaning supplies in the USA, I would have to go with a list and RACE through the store. After about 20 minutes in there I would get a deer in the headlights feeling and end up zombified, wandering the aisles like a lost drug addict, unable to find the checkout.

Maybe Wal-Mart is testing chemtrail chemicals for the government?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

I know how you feel! It happens to me too. I can never get out of a wal-mart with out losing at least 50 bucks and an hour. I catch myself wondering around just looking for anything to put in the cart.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

I used to spend quite a bit of time in the States when I was a kid, in Florida mostly. I remember what I hated most about the place was the aggressive advertising. I'd be settling into a show and after the theme finished *BAM* Ad. The show would come back for about 5 minutes then *BAM* another ad. It was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen.

Even back then I remember thinking to myself that it seemed that the media there were doing everything in its power to stop people from being able to hold a train of thought for more than a couple of minutes. Then again I suppose when you're trying to covertly rule a nation of a couple hundred million the last thing you want is them getting smart.

I'm curious if you've noticed any of that since leaving the states or if its become more pronounced since you left?

top topics

join