It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brother hassled for Gadsden Flag sticker.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Do you guys know the Gadsden Flag? It's the yellow US revolutionary era flag with a "Don't Tread on Me" written below it. Used in the revolutionary war. A lot of you have probably seen it in different contexts, and I've even seen it on ATS avatars. It's become a kind of symbol of resistance to TPTB in certain circles.

Anyway the rant is, my brother has one of these stickers on his car's bumper. I'm not going to say where he lives for personal info regions, but it's a state in the Western USA. He was pulled over by a policeman the other day who didn't have anything to say except he wanted to know about the flag. He then started asking my brother where he was coming from, what he used the car for usually, etc. He then said the flag was a "terroist symbol" and drove off without charging my brother with anything.

The whole thing took only about five minutes but left my brother feeling very disoriented. He has decided to just let the incident go, but that's not good enough for me. They are stopping people for the symbols they put on their cars now?

edit on 28-6-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

as annoying and disturbing that is its nothing new. ive had friends that were pulled over for band stickers. one friend was actually following me home one night and got pulled over. he had straight edge(for those who dont know it means you abstain from drugs and alcohol) stickers all over the back of his car and the cop accused him of following his drug dealer.

i guess the only new part is that your brother may go on somekind of record of people with "subversive" looking attitudes. if something comes up maybe theyll consider him? i dont know

edit on 6/28/2011 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

That is extremely sad that flag is still used a lot around where I live, a local militia flies it, our National Guard Units fly it right on fort/s. IMO it is the total opposite of a terror group it is patriotism at it best. A version of that flag almost was our national flag..... Maybe that cop thought he was living in the TV series Jericho as I recall it appeared in there a few times.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You and your brother should pool as much money as you can along with friends and family, and buy as many of these stickers as possible.

Then have a 'night out' adding the stickers to as many cars as you find.

Bonus points to those who get one onto the bumper of a police vehicle!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by homeskillet

You missed the entire point of what the issue is yes being pulled over for a sticker is wrong but....... That flag is a patriot flag used by our forefathers in the Revolution and that cop needs to learn his history rather than saying it is a symbol of terror.

A.T. Also nothing against XXers but they have been notoriously involved with violence against people they feel are less than them cause they drink or use drugs.

edit on 28-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: after thought

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

He was a bored cop who just wanted to check something out. At least he told your bro that the flag was a symbol of domestic terrorists. Its not probable cause but he could spin it another way if he had to if your bro made a stink about it.

The next timothy mcveigh will likely have one of those stickers if anything at all on his/her vehicle.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I have to admire your brother for his nerve. I'd like to have that bumpersticker myself, but I've been pulled over (and ticketed for some crappy thing) so many times that I'm hesitant to put any kind of bumper or window sticker on my vehicle.

(Parenthetically, I just want to say that someone told me recently that the Highway Patrol--whatever state you're in--does have a "profiling" database. But it's not what you think. For example, I'm an older white guy. According to the profile, we're respectful of authority, just pay the ticket without fighting, and go our own way without comment. I suppose I could find some profiling statistics if I looked, but I'll leave that up to you.)

But what I wanted to relate was a story about a guy I know who works for his county court in Mediation. If you're not familiar with Mediation, it's just people who volunteer their time to handle small, easily agreeable matters between parties that would otherwise waste the court's time. Anyway, he had a bumpersticker that said something like: "Mediate, Don't Litigate" (or similar). He got pulled over by a pair of California Highway Patrol, one of whom was a rookie. They pulled him out of the car, and, while the more experienced officer did the paperwork, the rookie took him on about the bumpersticker. Apparently the rookie thought it had something to do with legalizing marijuana! Needless to say, the guy ended up with a ticket for some minor thing they had to work pretty hard to find.

You gotta be careful out there. Everything we do is almost a crime these days. Because--you know--Terrorists! Damn near every citizen is *this close* to being a terrorist these days....
edit on 6/28/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater

Wait why would you associate this with domestic terror give me a break do people need to review what happened during the Revolution..... Most of the time the people fighting a rebellion have good reason, not just because it looks like a good time. Allocating the the next TM may use this is just wrong and un-patriotic.

A.T. I figured it out the cop seen it as a symbol of domestic terro because he is a British transfer...j/k.... That would actually make sense though.

edit on 28-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

That's why I drive a little 'ol Ranger around. Nothing fancy and they're a dime a dozen on the road. no stickers or personalized plates either.

I've seen Veterans and Soldiers have their vehicle vandalized to many times because of their plates or some military type sticker.

I also see those with Peace symbols, "The leaf" and what have you bumper stickers pulled over by the Cops often.

I’m incognito and rarely seen or noticed by those around me when on the road. I blend in with the environment.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParanoidAmerican

Wait why would you associate this with domestic terror give me a break do people need to review what happened during the Revolution..... Most of the time the people fighting a rebellion have good reason, not just because it looks like a good time. Allocating the the next TM may use this is just wrong and un-patriotic.

A.T. I figured it out the cop seen it as a symbol of domestic terro because he is a British transfer...j/k.... That would actually make sense though.

edit on 28-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

2 years ago hardly anyone knew about this flag other than some attentive history nuts and some metallica fans; however, since the tea party people have readopted this as a symbol its almost commonplace to see one on a drive across town.

Loughner, Giffords and the Tea Party

Well I guess hes no McVeigh, but hes a domestic terrorist nonetheless

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParanoidAmerican

You missed the entire point of what the issue is yes being pulled over for a sticker is wrong but....... That flag is a patriot flag used by our forefathers in the Revolution and that cop needs to learn his history rather than saying it is a symbol of terror.

A.T. Also nothing against XXers but they have been notoriously involved with violence against people they feel are less than them cause they drink or use drugs.

edit on 28-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: after thought

my point is mainly if you tend to have a lot of things(doesnt exactly matter what it says) stuck to your car, on a tshirt or on a sign in front of your house you are saying" hey, this is what i believe strongly enough to broadcast to strangers! look at me". people tend to take that as an invitation to either discuss or debate you or even offense. the cops in these situations are basically using it to profile you based on this. do they pull over the crazy lady who loves her shih tzu more than your honor student? probably not but when they see something that has a strong political slant then in these times of terror fear they figure they could find anything to get anybody on.

i mean do you believe they have meetings with "terror" symbols to look out for? they may but id guess the cop had a vague meaning (maybe from the history class he failed) of what the flag meant and decided to stir something up. it is messed up but i guess your using the distinction of being called a terrorist vs. being called a drug dealer/user as a worse thing. i would be inclined to agree

on the xxx topic, this was in the early 90s so it wasnt a big known thing at the time so i doubt the cop had any clue what it meant. my friend was a very sweat effeminate kid(not gay mind you) with a rainbow sticker. it was just a bored cop thinking he got a possible pothead.
edit on 6/28/2011 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

So that story is linking the Tea-party to the cause of the Gifferd's shooting......because..... they added to the political turmoil going on there in AZ at the time...... You could say the same about any off the parties in the race then. I still don't see the link between the flag and domestic terror unless you are/were a British Loyalist.... I don't think we have to many Loyalist to the crown running around.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Ok... thank you I see what you were conveying now. I thought you were kind of justifying it to an extent. I was in the whole XX scene back then as well wow almost 15 years ago now. I have no doubt that you friend was a nice kid, I can say though that me and my friends were involved in putting several drug dealer out of business because we felt that was our job the cops weren't doing it. I am glad I grew up that # could have lead me way way down the wrong path even if it is about purity.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

Okay as a Paranoid American, what would you look for if you were trying prevent an attack on the public or a political figure?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies people.

You know, a lot of people say things like "so what, its just a symbol, big deal" but the point is that Americans should never be in a mindset where they are looking over their shoulders or monitoring their own thoughts like in 1984. "Did I use the wrong words? Did I display the wrong symbol? Did I check out the wrong book from the library? Is it going to be OK if I post on this website?" That's not the American way, to live in constant fear and restrict your thoughts, reading, etc.

By picking at all these things America is moving towars a land where the real police are no longer outside but within our very skulls! That's the true meaning of tyranny: when you are so beaten down and scared and demoralized that you police yourself automatically so they don't even have to.

By the way, some posters here mentioned "XXers" and "XX scene." Lol wut? What's that? Google is not helping me.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

That is a tough question I'll to my best. Suspicious actions primarily it is to hard to identify a single individual like the Gifferd's shooter primarily because they can not fit in to a stereotype and generally don't act on behalf of a group. Groups are easy for the reason they identify them selves with symbols or uniforms. The "lone wolf" attackers you have to rely on that sixth sense and really waiting for action is the only sure option. I have seen photographers slammed while switching SD cards just cause it look suspicious in the security field you are always better safe than sorry.

Does anyone know if there is footage of the Gifferd's shooting. I have studied the Regan attempt for school and would love to see if the security there dropped the ball. this is a bit off topic now though.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

XX is a symbol uses by straight edge people/groups it is a dieing fad and has been they fell right in line with groups like FSU "F_ck S_it Up" later became "Friends Stand United"

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

You answered that like you were running for office, or one of those bing commercials.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

yeah it is pretty off topic now

anyways

I will give you one dollar if the next crazy person does not have stated political views that are similar to the tea party peoples.

Who is your money on?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Ya that is a tough question if it helps I am currently taking courses involved with the security field and most of that is from a discussion we actually had in class. Lone wolf mentalities are generally very secretive as well making detection ahead of time impossible the event happens and that is it, the Uni-bomber is a prime example of a lone wolf that pulled of multiple attacks most only get one chance at making their message.

Oh man the next attack will be........ idk you can almost find political motivation in any of them (minus the plan nutterz) I would say a racially motivated political attack is just as likely. Lets hope nothing like that actually happens......
edit on 29-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2011 by ParanoidAmerican because: correctness

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join